Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Dead Airport Express?

Dead Airport Express?
rasmusnet
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 03:38 AM

Hi
This morning something has happened to my Airport Express. For some reason the green light on the airport has turned of and there is no signal. No yellow or flashing light either?
It seems that it is completely dead.
I have tried unplugging it for a while, pressing the paperclip button for 30 seconds and also tried reconfigurating the airport software. Still there's no light, and when I tried to reconfigure the software it actually wasn't possible since the computer couldn't pick up any signal.

Has anyone had the same problem, what did you do??
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2006, 08:01 AM

Have you tried it plugged into another power outlet? That's the only thing I can think of. Otherwise, RIP AirPort Express... It does sound dead.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rasmusnet  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 03:24 AM

Hi ghporter
Yes, I already tried that. No luck.
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

rasmusnet  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 06:08 AM

So, I've just visited the local Apple-shop and they said the same thing. They said that if the warranty had run out the price for repairing it would almost be the same as buying a new one.
The guy in the shop already knew this problem with the Airport Express and said it sometimes happens.
If I had dropped it on the floor or carried around in the buttom of a suitcase a lot or had in some other way damaged it, then I would understand that it could stop working but in this case I really think it's disapointing. The Airport has just stopped working for no reason at all. I know it might be just bad luck but I will definitely consider buying a PC-product now instead.
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2006, 09:49 AM

There is a reason for the device to quit, it's just not obvious to you. Some component, probably in the power supply section, failed. Components fail all the time, and sometimes they're critical ones. Sorry about that.

But don't call non-Apple hardware "PC-products." They all support all platforms because both wired and wireless networking are based on IEEE standards, not one company or another's products. Just be aware that some features, like streaming audio between iTunes and your stereo, may not work because those features are not part of the standards.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 11:19 PM

If you can live without the airtunes feature and USB printing then by all means go for the cheap dlink or netgear wireless router.

Forum Links
Forum Rules