Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Logitech mm50 doesn't support ALARM

Logitech mm50 doesn't support ALARM
mmintler
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2006, 07:39 PM

Just a heads up for anyone considering the Logitech mm50 speakers for the ipod.

I really liked these speakers so its with great dissapointment that I have to return them.
I bought these speakers primarily for my bedroom hoping to use as an alarm also.

I assumed and I should know better but.. I assumed that being an IPOD specific product that it would support all of the basic IPOD features including the Alarm.

I called logitech and told them that they should specify that these speakers cannot be used as an alarm clock when combined with the iPod. They replied that the speakers do not support the Alarm feature and that they don't imply that they do on the packaging so no foul...

Anyway, just a heads up! These are great speakers for the price. If you don't need the Alarm feature I still recommend them.

Mark
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Nov 8, 2006, 08:43 AM

How is the speaker expected to "work with" the alarm? The ipod just powers up and begins playing, no speaker interaction there (except for playing the music). So i wouldn't expect any problems there...

As noted in Comments #12 and #15 on the iLounge review of the 50mm speakers, the alarm feature seems to work just fine...
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

mmintler  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2006, 06:55 PM

The ipodlounge review only covers Ipod's though 4th generation. I don't have a 4th Gen. so maybe this is a 5th Generation issue.

I'm not trashing the mm50's- I love the way they sound!

I'm simply warning other people who might need this feature not to expect the Logitech mm50's to work as an alarm.

And I'm not making this claim based soley on my personal experience with my ipod. I took my ipod and speakers to the Apple store- believing it might be an isolated problem.

Along with an Apple associate at the Genius bar we tested my ipod, my speakers, their floor model mm50' speakers with my ipod, 2 models of their ipods with their floor model mm50's and we repeated the same tests on other speaker systems like Bose.

The result was that the alarm function worked fine on every other speaker system. But consistently didn't work on the logitech mm50's.

Yes, the ipod should simply power-up the speakers and play. However, this is not what happens. Whether this is an Apple bug or a Logitech problem... the Alarm did work correctly on the Bose and the iHome.

On awaking with the IPOD alarm the mm50's seem to send a "signal" to the iPod causing it Pause thereby not playing music.

And if you read the comments under the ipodlounge review you'll see that I'm not the only one having this issue.

In addition to the fact that Logitech support TOLD me that this function is not supported on the ipod.

I guess what does bother me about this is the attitude of Logitechs support... they were very arrogant on the phone and while acknowledging that the Alarm feature is not supported- said they had no plans to remedy this.
( Last edited by mmintler; Nov 10, 2006 at 02:32 PM. )
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules