Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone running video-Skype on G4 Powerbook? What cam to buy today?

Anyone running video-Skype on G4 Powerbook? What cam to buy today?
rasmusnet
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2007, 02:32 PM

Hi,
Since the iSight is of the market, what webcam should I buy today?

I would like to hear from people using non-iSight webcams with Skype, with good results.

Thanks.
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 03:11 PM

I'm using an old USB Logitech... don't remember the exact model. It works fine. I would wager most Logitech cams will do the job.

Check out the macam site for a list of cameras that should work with their driver.

macam : Suport Cameras

There is also a link on Skype's web site that discusses this.

rasmusnet  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2007, 04:30 PM

Hi Atheist
Thanks for your reply, but..
I am searching for a webcam to buy on todays market, so the story about your old logitech does not help me.

So once more:
"I would like to hear from people using non-iSight webcams with Skype, with good results"

I hope someone knows a specific compatible cam and/or can post a link.
Thanks.
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by rasmusnet View Post
I hope someone knows a specific compatible cam and/or can post a link.
Thanks.
Ummm... did you even read my post? It included not one... but two links. The first of which is a complete list of cams that work.

And if you'd bother to go to Skype.com, they recommend the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 which should work right out of the box. And here is yet another link if you would like to purchase it.

Now, would you like me to wipe your a** for you as well?

rasmusnet  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2007, 05:17 PM

I am sorry if I offended you Atheist, but it seems there are different opinions about which webcams that work. I did see both your links.

But I would like to hear from people that are ACTUALLY USING a non-iSight webcam THEMSELVES with good results, just to rule out any uncertainty.
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by rasmusnet View Post
I am sorry if I offended you Atheist, but it seems there are different opinions about which webcams that work. I did see both your links.

But I would like to hear from people that are ACTUALLY USING a non-iSight webcam THEMSELVES with good results, just to rule out any uncertainty.
No offense taken. But as I said, I am ACTUALLY USING a non-iSight webcam MYSELF with good results. It is the Logitech QuickCam Messenger. Unfortunately you can't buy that model anymore but I'm sure the QuickCam Pro 4000 would work fine (maybe even better than mine since it's newer).

Hopefully someone with a newer cam such as the QuickCam Pro or the Philiips SPC900NC can give you some feedback.

tintin220
Mar 11, 2007, 08:00 PM

rasmusnet, you know you don't have to follow every single little itty bitty rule to the dot right? That's life. Have some faith and just listen to Atheist.

I don't think that site would list that those cams work if hundreds of people did not get it to work.

Though for you, I will tell you that the Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX works fabulously. A bit of lag, but that isn't from the driver as it lags in Windows a tad too.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules