Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 2-wheel mouse in OS X?

2-wheel mouse in OS X?
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2011, 02:28 PM

I just bought the AOpen "open mouse" seen here:

And while it doesn't list OS X support, everything works fine, except for the second scroll wheel. USB Overdrive and Steermouse both seem to see it as the same as the first wheel (but upside down and with no button), so it doesn't let me do different things with the 2 wheels. I can limp along by setting the 4th button to act as Shift, but I would rather have the second wheel actually work (for horizontal scrolling). I don't want to use the Apple ball-mouse, because the ball seems to stop working in a matter of weeks (I've gone through 3 of them), and it's too small for my taste anyway. I am on 10.5.8.

Does anyone use a 2-wheel mouse?
( Last edited by Uncle Skeleton; Jan 20, 2011 at 03:59 PM. )

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2011, 04:51 PM

What is that? How many fingers do you need for that?

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2011, 04:56 PM

You might need some extra digits to operate it successfully, but I see no need for those digits to be fingers

You're thinking about toes right?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2011, 06:42 AM

Never seen one like that before, I think that mouse doesn't come with a second scroll wheel but a spare wheel.

Steermouse and USB Overdrive would be my suggestions as well… have you tried it with ControllerMate?

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
l… have you tried it with ControllerMate?
Well that software was too complicated to learn, but it did lead me to the solution! It turns out the mouse sends a "button 7" signal along with the second wheel, which I can set to be a shift key signal, which is exactly what I want. USB Overdrive doesn't show this "button 7" signal except a flicker at the end of scrolling, which I was ignoring. But ControllerMate revealed this signal was being sent. So thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules