Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Does My Mac Need Virus Protection Software?

Does My Mac Need Virus Protection Software?
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2011, 12:06 AM

Do I need to worry about this? If so, does anyone have any favorite Anti-Virus Software?

I ask because I just bought a brand new iMac w/ 10.6.6 and my wife (a PC-er) is all worried about viruses...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2011, 12:13 AM

Nope. You don't need anything.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2011, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by tpicco View Post
Does My Mac Need Virus Protection Software?
Does a fish need a bicycle?

Originally Posted by tpicco View Post
I ask because I just bought a brand new iMac w/ 10.6.6 and my wife (a PC-er) is all worried about viruses...
Macs are monogamous. No need to worry about viruses. (Unless you run Windoze on your Mac, in which case you need protection, just like PCs).

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2011, 08:10 AM

Macs (running OS X) cannot be impacted by Windows viruses, so no, you really don't "need" an antivirus package for your Mac. There are some things you should be watching out for, like Microsoft Office files that could be infected by various bad things which you could pass on-like to your wife's PC-but that's just being polite. And as Rainy Day says, if you're running Windows on your Mac (virtual or booted), you still need Windows antivirus protection. It's about the operating system, not the hardware (at least anymore).

But just because you're running OS X doesn't mean you can go surfing "free pr0n" sites with impunity. It's way too easy to think you're invulnerable because your OS can't be harmed by the vast majority of malware out there, when in fact all the bad guys have to do is a little social engineering to convince a complacent user that it's OK to enter his bank account number on any random site. Be attentive and don't get fooled by offers that are too good to be true, nor by "free stuff" that shouldn't be free.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day View Post
... (Unless you run Windoze on your Mac, in which case you need protection, just like PCs).
Even then, only the Windows partition will be vulnerable. The Mac partition is safe.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 04:29 PM

Bagel Tech Mac podcast special on Mac anti virus with Graham Cluney from Sophos. Interesting podcast.

THE BAGEL TECH NETWORK � Mac Trojan/Virus Special

(usually I'm a regular on the show but I bowed out of this one to make room for some actual security consultants).
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2011, 04:38 PM

In my opinion, no you don't need any AV on your Mac, but Sophos has a free Mac client for home use if you really feel the urge.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Even then, only the Windows partition will be vulnerable. The Mac partition is safe.
Except for the Windows bugs that aim at the partition table-those can destroy your OS X partition just as thoroughly as your Windows partition.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules