Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > messed up battery or battery meter

messed up battery or battery meter
lythari
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2001, 11:59 PM

I just had something really strange happen. I powered up my pismo on a battery that I had been charging overnight. The battery meter registed full of course. Then 5 minutes latter, I got a message that my pismo was running on reserve battery power! All I was doing was installing some software off a CD and listening to music through a set of headphones.

Anyone have any idea what happened?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 03:19 AM

First thing I'd try is Battery Reset 2.0, from Apple, which resets a chip in the battery, that sometimes goes awry. You run it with the offending battery in place - it depletes the charge, resets the chip, and you then recharge the batter to full charge.

You can download it from Apple's website at:
http://www.versiontracker.com/redir....et_2.0.smi.bin

If it doesn't work, your battery may be toast.

Addition: I'm assuming that you've already reset the Power Manager, right?

iBorg

[This message has been edited by iBorg (edited 04-19-2001).]
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 19, 2001, 03:52 AM

Well, the readme for Battery Reset 2 does not state support for the Pismo. In fact, the program came out several months before the Pismo.

tooki

lythari  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2001, 04:39 AM

Thanks for your replies. I've been without internet access the past few days so I didn't see your messages before I my powerbook to be serviced. My battery wasn't charging properly. It would jump from one LED lit to all four LEDs lit. Hence it wasn't being charged up to it's maximum capacity.

It's not a problem with the power manager because I've reset it half a dozen times and the problem is still there. Applecare thinks its probably a hardware problem so they told me to take my powerbook to a service centre. I'll probably get it back tuesday.

Wonder if Apple will release an updated version of the Battery Reset util. It looks like it might have fixed my problem.

dviant
Apr 20, 2001, 10:38 AM

The Battery Reset 2.0 app is not needed (and will not work) on iBook and Pismo computers running OS 9. Although unclear it seems OS 9 does this automatically... (?)
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60665
bah!

Forum Links
Forum Rules