Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Help with installing Quake update

Help with installing Quake update
Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2001, 03:44 AM

Every single time I try and install an update for Quake, regardless of what version I get this:

Here is what my Quake folder looks like:

Call me stupid but since ID never includes instructions like UT - Diablo II - etc. do then I have to assume I am doing something wrong here.

Any help??
~Peace~

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2001, 05:59 PM

The Q3.out file says that it's looking for files related to the Q3 Team Arena demo - have you ever had that installed on your system? Or is that what you are running? Or is it just plain ol' Q3:Arena?

I have also had that error, but unforunately I cannot currently remember why...if I recall I'll run right back, I promise.

For now, try to unstuff the update, and instead of putting all the files on the disk image into your existing Q3 directory, try to copy them to a new directory somewhere on your HD - anywhere else, really, and then take the 'pak0.pk3' file in the old folder and put it into the 'baseq3' directory in your new Quake 3 folder. If that works, just delete the old folder...if not, please come back and we'll see what else we can dig up.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Paulos
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2001, 11:34 PM

I was getting that error too. I just deleted everything... reinstalled quake 3 fresh, and updated straight to 1.29f beta. Worked first time.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2001, 12:55 AM

My guess is that you guys accidently deleted the pak0.pk3 file.
You guys drag and dropped the baseq3 file into your Quake3 folder and overwrote the current baseq3 file, hence deleting the pak0.pk3 file (which also happens to be the biggest and most important one).

If you look at the MacQuake3.out console, you can find evidence which supports my theory.

Since I already had 1.27 installed, I only copied over the new app and the pak6.pk3 file. If you had 1.17 installed, you only need to copy over the 4,5 and 6 paks.

Fragicula
Jun 24, 2001, 06:51 AM

yes, the pak0 is missing. that contains the main gamedata, so without it q3 can't run. just insert your q3 cd and copy that file.
did the beta worl on your comps?
as i tried it my mouse didn't work. and what's q3 without mouse?
i hope there will be the next update soon.
mfg
Fragicula

Bodhi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2001, 09:32 PM

Since ID doesn't think there should be any instructions lets take a look at the update file...

What is supposed to be put where?? Every single time I try this it doesn't work.
~Peace~

Forum Links
Forum Rules