Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > UMAX scanner and OSX?

UMAX scanner and OSX?
MachoManRandySavage
Feb 14, 2001, 11:24 PM

Hey,

Does anybody know if UMAX will be supporting it's legacy scanners for OSX? I have a UMAX Astra 610s which is attached to my beige G3 though SCSI. If I can't get the scanner working, I don't think I'm going to be moving to OSX.

The Macho Man

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2001, 11:33 PM

Did you ask UMAX? The more emails they get the more they'll move on it.

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2001, 12:21 AM

they probably will.... though their products suck. after my astra 1220u, it is safe to say i will never support them again. epson, hp, anyone but them

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2001, 01:31 AM

my mom got the iMac DV SE last April, I cama week later set it up, installed the Umax Astro 2000 scanner driver 3.5.1, and the computer was complety un bootable. I thought it was 9.0.4 byt suspeced the scanner. oh it got me 2 times in 2 days. this reqired a complete reformat and renstall. AND I AM AN EXPEREINCED USER!!!!!

What Apple needs to requre and hardware venders should do, is have the latest drives on APple software update. just plug in, and the drivers will be downloaded.

I can't even think how many iMac's are in the city dump cuase of these kind of problem when a vender puts drivers on the cd that kill the computer.

--
Countdown to Mac OS X http://bigt.dhs.org
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2001, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
my mom got the iMac DV SE last April, I cama week later set it up, installed the Umax Astro 2000 scanner driver 3.5.1, and the computer was complety un bootable. I thought it was 9.0.4 byt suspeced the scanner. oh it got me 2 times in 2 days. this reqired a complete reformat and renstall. AND I AM AN EXPEREINCED USER!!!!!

What Apple needs to requre and hardware venders should do, is have the latest drives on APple software update. just plug in, and the drivers will be downloaded.

I can't even think how many iMac's are in the city dump cuase of these kind of problem when a vender puts drivers on the cd that kill the computer.
The iMac was not completely unbootable. I had the same problem on an iMac. I turned off the UMAX extensions, downloaded and installed a newer version and the problem was solved.

I wish I knew who these people were that threw their iMacs into the city dumps so I could persuade one person to buy a Cube and then give it to me when he couldn't find the power switch.

However, your point of providing drivers via Software Update is valid and would be quite useful. I'd like to see that implemented.

Paulos
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2001, 08:07 AM

I use a 1220S on my G4 and I've never had a problem with it or the software... Vistascan is damn ugly but it works perfectly. I personally hope we get some OSX drivers.

MachoManRandySavage  (op)
Feb 15, 2001, 11:40 AM

So, I e-mailed UMAX, and this is what they said:

<quote>
Thank you for your email,
UMAX Imaging Products and Macintosh OS X

We are sorry, but UMAX Technical Support has been given no information as to
the support of UMAX Imaging Products on Macintosh OS X. Also, UMAX
Technical Support has not been given any timeframe for when information will
be available about support for Macintosh OS X. Any future information about
support of new operating systems will be posted on the UMAX website, www.umax.com.
</quote>

-The Macho Man

Forum Links
Forum Rules