Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Spy agency may need to invade privacy to fight computer viruses

Spy agency may need to invade privacy to fight computer viruses
crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2000, 09:37 PM

What do you think of this? CSIS (Canada's Spy Agency) is contemplating monitoring of e-mail messages. See national news section at http://www.edmontonjournal.com/ sorry I can't get the link any better. Monday October 16, 2000 Edmonton Journal

[This message has been edited by crazycylon (edited 10-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by crazycylon (edited 10-16-2000).]
As a man comes, so he departs.

Cipher13
Oct 17, 2000, 02:02 AM

Well...
Its a load of **** .
They have no right whatsoever to do something like that. I haven't read the article yet, but from what you said, I think its fairly obvious.
It would piss me off severely, and I would send off messages that would trigger the sieves on purpose...
I encrypt anything important anyway. Unreleased algorithm(s). Several times.
No way in hell the NSA or CSIS or ASIO or anyone coud get something from me if I didn't want them to.

Cipher13

Mr.Fear
Oct 17, 2000, 11:58 AM

Upsetting, but hardly surprising. Our fair nation has a tendency to put law & order above civil liberties whenever they damn well please. Add to that the "Notwithstanding" clause in the Constitution (which allows goverments to ignore rulings from the Supreme Court), and some really generous rulings regarding search and seizure, and this is just a logical extension, I guess. Not right, far rom just, but that's the way it goes when you only have one party that has the slightest chance of forming a government...

Mr.F

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2000, 12:02 PM

That is not right... eh.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2000, 03:02 PM

That story seems to have moved off the front page. Anyone care to link to it? I can't find it.

crazycylon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2000, 12:56 AM

Scott_H,

I would like to oblige you but I think the Journal uses a script to direct a person to a news story. Unlike over services which direct you to a html page. The address in my explorer never changes from the link that I originally posted. I am also not sure how to do a screen capture.
As a man comes, so he departs.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2000, 01:23 AM

What's the title of it. I can't even find it in the search

Forum Links
Forum Rules