Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Iranian election results!!!

Iranian election results!!!
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2009, 09:23 AM

Shocking news out of Iran

Wow, I never thought I'd see this.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post

Unfortunately, it won't last.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 07:41 AM

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2009, 08:51 AM

You never thought you would see what?

elections in Iran?
the possibility of rigged elections in Iran?
protests against the outcome of an election in Iran?
government-backed violence in response to protests against the outcome of an election in Iran?

What exactly is so surprising that you never thought you'd see it?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2009, 09:13 AM

Rigged elections.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2009, 09:40 AM

Well, it seems like there's still not enough people tired of the current system to really push for a change. Change will come once most people want it badly enough.

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, it seems like there's still not enough people tired of the current system to really push for a change. Change will come once most people want it badly enough.

-t
Agreed. And im actually pleased to see Iranians protest against such a person. I hope (foolishly perhaps) that change will come about soon. The monkey seems to be the biggest issue/threat on the world stage imo, and getting him off the world stage completely, will do a lot for peace and stability.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 08:07 PM

Rigged elections.
Really? If elections can be rigged in the US, I'm pretty sure they can be rigged anywhere else in the world.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2009, 08:32 AM

Iran Fails Again - Forbes.com

I know only the general history of Iran. I find this to be an interesting article, although even to me it sounds harsh to say that Iranians aren't fighting against their government when they're conducting mass rallies and getting killed in the streets over this election.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

k2director
Senior User
Jun 23, 2009, 08:38 PM

Gee, this is certainly inconvenient for Obama's plan to show "respect" and not "demonize" the leaders of the Islamic Republic, as he has pledged to do many times. Hard to show respect when they're blatantly stealing an election, and then beating and shooting demonstrators in the streets.

I am enjoying this on one level, though, which is watching Obama back pedal and have to condemn the Iranian government using stronger and stronger language, just like Bush did. It's satisfying to see his totally unrealistic "change change change" message going up in smoke.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Unfortunately, it won't last.
Unlike the past, we have a face (and a video) to put to this one.
45/47

Gee-Man
Senior User
Jun 23, 2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by k2director View Post
Gee, this is certainly inconvenient for Obama's plan to show "respect" and not "demonize" the leaders of the Islamic Republic, as he has pledged to do many times. Hard to show respect when they're blatantly stealing an election, and then beating and shooting demonstrators in the streets.

I am enjoying this on one level, though, which is watching Obama back pedal and have to condemn the Iranian government using stronger and stronger language, just like Bush did. It's satisfying to see his totally unrealistic "change change change" message going up in smoke.
Seriously? Watching people getting beaten and shot in the street on the other side of the world, and the part you want to share with us is how you're "enjoying this on one level"?

Dial it back people. This isn't about US, nor is it about cheap political point-scoring. I don't think the Iranian people give a **** right now whether we think this has something to do with Obama or not.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Unlike the past, we have a face (and a video) to put to this one.
This thought occurred to me too. I may have underestimated the amount of resolve among the Iranian people and the strength of these images. The cell phones and video cameras in the air have been an eery, but informative, and inspirational glimpse into what's really going on.

Interesting that the beautiful face in these clips becomes the peace sign in the hand of the Iraqi woman. Depending on this wave of protests, she could be the face of a martyr.

ebuddy Quatrain 1:3: A single woman's death. From her womb the birth of a new home for a people that will honor this day, a that shall bear her name.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2009, 12:41 PM

Another photo, what is that she is wearing?
45/47

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 01:26 PM

A Muslim Cross. Hmm.

I guess she was part of the 2% religious minority of the country.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
A Muslim Cross. Hmm.

I guess she was part of the 2% religious minority of the country.
i dont know what religion she is but jesus is a very important figure in islam

on another note im disappointed in obamas neglecting to help the iranian people with their attempted revolution.

k2director
Senior User
Jun 24, 2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
Seriously? Watching people getting beaten and shot in the street on the other side of the world, and the part you want to share with us is how you're "enjoying this on one level"?

Dial it back people. This isn't about US, nor is it about cheap political point-scoring. I don't think the Iranian people give a **** right now whether we think this has something to do with Obama or not.
I wasn't speaking for the Iranian people, and I wasn't suggesting what's going on in Iran should be "about the US". I'm speaking as an American who has to suffer through an imbecilic Jimmy Carter reincarnation whose policy decisions stem from a fantasy world of how the world *should* be, instead of how it is.

Of so many incredibly naive promises Obama has made, his pledge to rebuild relations with Iran's leadership based on "mutual respect" has got to be one of the very worst (I say "one of the very worst" because there are still a bunch of Obama doozies that share that honor).

Obama's Iranian position is one of the worst because it empowers these thug regimes, instead of checking them. Thug regimes know that when you show them "mutual respect" and talk about "diplomacy" you're merely giving them more time and more latitude to continue their bad behavior. Really, as Iran's mullahs march towards a nuclear weapon, do you think Obama's election made them feel more secure in pursuing that goal, or less? The answer is: Obama makes the mullahs feel more secure.

Obama's feel-good position on dealing with despotic regimes is dangerous, and so yes, watching a jackass publicly have to back away from his own jackass position is *very* enjoyable (not to mention a relief).

There's another benefit to all this mayhem, too: I think a lot more Americans will think twice about the prospect of a nuclear-armed Iran, now that they've gotten a fresh look at the mullahs who will have their finger on the "Launch" button. Hopefully, this will give Obama a little more backbone than usual in trying to prevent Iran from going nuclear. He may even realize that bombing Iran's nuclear facilities may be necessary, even if it means his celebrity status will take a hit, and the press won't be throwing quite so many flowers at his feet anymore.

But that's a long shot. Obama will probably just sit around doing nothing until Israel has to attack Iran itself. And then Obama will issue somber but useless statements about "respecting the sovereignty of nations" and "the need to resolve differences non-violently", blah blah blah.

Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2009, 03:26 PM

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
on another note im disappointed in obamas neglecting to help the iranian people with their attempted revolution.
So what should he do?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 09:56 PM

He may even realize that bombing Iran's nuclear facilities may be necessary, even if it means his celebrity status will take a hit, and the press won't be throwing quite so many flowers at his feet anymore.
We could always ignore the threat and invade Iraq again. You know, like George Bush.

k2director
Senior User
Jun 25, 2009, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
We could always ignore the threat and invade Iraq again. You know, like George Bush.
Invading Iraq was a direct move against Middle East terrorism, I'm not sure how you can call it "ignoring the threat". Sept 11 was a result of general Middle East dysfunction, and installing even a semi-functional, semi-democratic government in the former "poster child" for Middle East dysfunction (ie, Iraq) was a highly constructive move. Despite the blood and chaos and cost, it created more significant change (for the good) in the Middle East than any event in the last 40 years. And that change can keep paying benefits as the years role by....

By the way, one of the payoffs for Bush's work in Iraq is the democratic movement we're seeing now in Iran (not that the young Iranians will be very successful this time around, but it's a start). Do you really think it's a coincidence that shortly after the Iraqiis are freed from an authoritarian tyrant, and they start having elections, and freedom of the press, and political parties, etc, etc, that the Iraqii's next-door neighbors, the Iranians, start to wonder why the hell they shouldn't expect the same things?

It's not a coincidence. Iraq, as hoped for by Bush and others, is demonstrating that real change is possible in the Middle East, and there are alternatives to the same old dictators and oligarchs keeping power to themselves.

I just hope Obama doesn't let Iraq slip away. Obama already showed his complete ignorance when he said Bush's Surge wouldn't work, and would only make things worse. In fact, the Surge stabilized Iraq, cut the violence steeply, and allowed the national government to get on its feet. But Iraq is still not quite out of the woods, and yet Obama seems to think a sh*t-hole, dead-end place like Afghanistan is a better place to focus attention. God knows why, since Afghanistan will never influence the Middle East like Iraq can. But our Community Organizer/Commander-in-Chief knows what's best, right?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 06:48 AM

i dont know what religion she is but jesus is a very important figure in islam
Jesus is important to Islam, yes (at least the Muslim conception of him), but the Cross as a symbol is most decidedly not. In fact, Muslim end-times scriptures teach that the Cross will be destroyed.

Although I am naturally critical of the administration, I can somewhat understand Obama's hesitancy in this area Presidents get condemned if they speak out because they're told they are putting America at risk of being attacked by terrorists for meddling in the political affairs of the Middle East. On the other hand, failing to speak out gets presidents condemned for doing nothing for those who are fighting for liberty.

k2director, your posts are very much right on. We should start the MacNN California Conservative Coalition.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 25, 2009 at 06:54 AM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 07:10 AM

It's not a coincidence. Iraq, as hoped for by Bush and others, is demonstrating that real change is possible in the Middle East, and there are alternatives to the same old dictators and oligarchs keeping power to themselves.
I just hope Obama doesn't let Iraq slip away. Obama already showed his complete ignorance when he said Bush's Surge wouldn't work, and would only make things worse. In fact, the Surge stabilized Iraq, cut the violence steeply, and allowed the national government to get on its feet. But Iraq is still not quite out of the woods, and yet Obama seems to think a sh*t-hole, dead-end place like Afghanistan is a better place to focus attention. God knows why, since Afghanistan will never influence the Middle East like Iraq can. But our Community Organizer/Commander-in-Chief knows what's best, right?
Bingo! I've been saying this for as long as I can remember. Iraq was as much about Iran as it was Iraq. We implant democracy smack dab in the center of the Middle East where her neighbors will witness it and want it for themselves. Once people get beyond the tired "but the WMDs!" and "blood for oil" rhetoric, I think history will judge Bush much more kindly than the present.

We station ourselves in the newly toppled region and draw terrorists into our theatre as opposed to chasing them around the mountain ranges of a historically impossible Afghanistan and worse; drive them into a nuclear Pakistan. Remember the whole "WE'RE CREATING TERRORISTS" argument? Well, that's exactly what we're doing in Pakistan. Remember the whole "WHAT'S THE EXIT STRATEGY?!?" argument? I guess now it's to get OBL; a man who for all intents and purposes is already dead to his movement if not physically six feet under. Or maybe we just sit there and fight terrorists from now to perpetuity with no greater goal of addressing the viruses of Fascism and Totalitarianism that have infected the entire region for centuries?

Where's the progress reports by the way? Where's the media?
ebuddy

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 09:34 AM

Bingo! I've been saying this for as long as I can remember. Iraq was as much about Iran as it was Iraq. We implant democracy smack dab in the center of the Middle East where her neighbors will witness it and want it for themselves. Once people get beyond the tired "but the WMDs!" and "blood for oil" rhetoric, I think history will judge Bush much more kindly than the present.
You CANNOT "implant democracy" anywhere. You CANNOT create democracy from the barrel of a gun. Overthrow of a tyrannical leader and an embrace of open government of, by, and for the people can only come about when the people of an oppressed nation come together, rise up, and overthrow their oppressive government structure*. That is what is happening in Iran now. And what this shows us is NOT that citizens of Iran looked to Iraq for inspiration--The Persians of Iran hate most of their Arab neighbors, *especially* the Iraqis--but rather the citizens of Iran are achieving democracy through the natural foment of a people desiring a greater voice in the running of their country. This process would have happened in Iraq if we had left it alone. I have no doubt the people of Iraq are/were just as capable of rising up and overthrowing their tyrannical leader. Think about the handful of assassination attempts that took place on Saddam Hussein's life during the course of his rule? The people of Iraq *were* trying to get rid of him. The people of Iraq were not as far along as the people of Iran in overthrowing their leader but their is no doubt they would have eventually succeeded in removing Saddam and creating their own form of self rule.

*Look at all your former eastern bloc countries for recent historical examples of this process in action prior to the events in Iran.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
So what should he do?
what should he do..

he should help the people with their revolution.

just like we were helped in ours....................

this whole hippie thing with nations being sovereign and having unlimited rights is bull ****.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2009, 02:40 PM

what should he do..

I agree. We have the opportunity to create a good relationship with a new, progressive Iranian government, but instead we're leaving them hanging in the wind, because — well, I don't even know why. Because we don't want to piss off a belligerent, racist madman who already hates us and all our allies? That's far too asinine to be the real reason. Because this administration lacks the will or the guts to make any bold moves, even if they have a chance of doing real good? That's a possibility.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2009, 02:47 PM

Some Polish scientists have submitted an article to Annals of Applied Statistics where they conclude that it is very probable the elections were rigged. (Not that anyone is surprised, but it's always nice to have some solid scientific data. (Thank science )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Some Polish scientists have submitted an article to Annals of Applied Statistics where they conclude that it is very probable the elections were rigged. (Not that anyone is surprised, but it's always nice to have some solid scientific data. (Thank science )
I saw something on Reddit that was similar. It was an analysis of the published vote totals looking at the last and second-to-last digits for the vote totals from the various precincts in Iran. The conclusion of the researchers in the article I read was that the vote tallies were likely fabricated.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Jun 26, 2009 at 04:11 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 08:56 PM

Despite the blood and chaos and cost, it created more significant change (for the good) in the Middle East than any event in the last 40 years. And that change can keep paying benefits as the years role by....
Saddam Hussein was the alternative. We just removed him. Now Iraq is, once again, a country governed by a theocracy based on an Islamic Constitution. It's like taking North Korea and turning it into Iran, then calling that positive change. All Iraq has to do is vote in a Supreme Leader and they'll be identical to Iran.

You honestly think it's going to change after 2000 years? I hope you're right.

In fact, the Surge stabilized Iraq, cut the violence steeply, and allowed the national government to get on its feet.
It's only the 5th most unstable country in the world. I guess that's better than 4th.

But Iraq is still not quite out of the woods, and yet Obama seems to think a sh*t-hole, dead-end place like Afghanistan is a better place to focus attention.
Afghanistan is hosting the main hub for the terrorist organization that was responsible for 9/11. You know, not Iraq.

God knows why, since Afghanistan will never influence the Middle East like Iraq can.
I would hope God knows why since it's His name they're yelling when bombing school children and driving planes into office buildings.

But our Community Organizer/Commander-in-Chief knows what's best, right?
That excuse worked for Bush.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 09:13 PM

I agree 100%, but it's not realistic. First of all, Iran has nuclear weapons. They may not have the rockets to deploy them onto American soil, but North Korea does. They also don't need rockets to deploy their weapons on their close neighbors or themselves along with an invading military. That would be a lot of martyrs.

this whole hippie thing with nations being sovereign and having unlimited rights is bull ****.
I'm unsure how to approach that statement. Mexico certainly thinks so, they want an open boarder policy with the U.S. However, people bitch and complain about immigration problems. The Native Americans would disagree, seeing as how they've been relegated to a few plots of land and want to protect what little sovereignty they're posses.

Would you be willing to forfeit your home to some Native Americans?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 09:16 PM

While the interim government was democratically elected, it's still a theocracy abiding by an Islamic Constitution just like Iran.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The Poles are only saying that because they haven't figured out how to count 14 million ballots in only a few hours.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I agree. We have the opportunity to create a good relationship with a new, progressive Iranian government, but instead we're leaving them hanging in the wind, because — well, I don't even know why. Because we don't want to piss off a belligerent, racist madman who already hates us and all our allies? That's far too asinine to be the real reason. Because this administration lacks the will or the guts to make any bold moves, even if they have a chance of doing real good? That's a possibility.
I think for the same reason we don't just up and invade North Korea. Nukes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules