Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple offered to upgrade my Mini to a 15GB

Apple offered to upgrade my Mini to a 15GB
discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 10:55 PM

Here is the email Apple sent me:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering the new iPod mini!

The demand for the iPod mini has been incredible. We are shipping them as quickly as possible, but we cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to ship your iPod mini in two weeks. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Before we can continue processing your order, we must obtain your consent to this delay. Alternatively, if you would like an iPod sooner, we are offering to replace your iPod mini with a 15GB iPod at no additional charge. This model usually ships within 24 hours.

Should I go for the 15GB or hold off for the mini? This is the second time the date has been pushed back.

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2004, 11:34 PM

Wait for the mini if you think it is cool!

"If it's broke, you choke."

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
Wait for the mini if you think it is cool!
It is supposed to be a birthday gift for my better half. Her birthday is the 16th which is only 2 days away. I might just wait for the mini but it really is a tough decision. Smaller and less likely to get scratched easily.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Should I go for the 15GB or hold off for the mini? This is the second time the date has been pushed back.
Unless your better half had specifically asked for an iPod mini or something like that, I would go for the 15Gb iPod.

Recently there are problem reports on the iPod mini, so I guess if you don't want to upset her later, then choose the one which is a bit more reliable.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2004, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Unless your better half had specifically asked for an iPod mini or something like that, I would go for the 15Gb iPod.

Recently there are problem reports on the iPod mini, so I guess if you don't want to upset her later, then choose the one which is a bit more reliable.
has the better half held a mini? cos the 15gb aint exactly unwieldily. its plenty sleek. i would take one over the mini simply because of all the peripherals and the lot.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 01:55 AM

Wait for the Mini Does she really need to get the gift on the day itself ?

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2004, 08:33 AM

I have both a 15gb iPod and a silver mini.
If you can wait and don't need to have more than about 800-1000 songs with you I'd wait for the mini, it's sooo much cooler ( and not to others, to myself) and more pleasant to use.
You'd be surprised how much smaller and lighter it feels, I slip it into my pocket and don't even know it's there!
Jusy my opinion.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 11:54 AM

Wow...they are offering you 11GB for free and you actually have to think about it??? The iPod is not any less cool than it was before the mini came out, grab the 15GB!

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 02:04 PM

So, they [Apple] are killing two birds with one stone here. One, they minimize the backlog (not to mention potential liability) of iPod mini orders, while clearing the inventories of the 15GB iPod.

Hmm...

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2004, 03:13 PM

I would definitely get the 15 GB, but that's because I have a lot of music. If you don't plan on using more than 4 GB, go ahead and wait.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 09:48 AM

So what decision did you make?

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by bbales:
So what decision did you make?
I'm going to call Apple today and make a strong complaint. I know people that ordered a mini a week after I did and their's have already shipped.

We already have a 20GB iPod and it would be easier for her (my better half) to carry the mini. She would also like to have her pod pink instead of white. Another thing is she would never be able to fill the 15GB.

Today is her birthday and this whole delay thing has upset me a little. I will post back with the decision.

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 04:35 PM

Well, it seems that the Pink one is the hottest selling mini. Unfortunately that is the color that I ordered. I went ahead and ordered the 15GB. I can't really complain too much. Regular price is $299 or $269 with edu. dicount. I paid $229 with edu. discount. We can also share the same dock and she can have the case that I got with my 20GB. That will save some money in the long run.

She doesn't really care which one she gets. Her biggest thing is that she wanted pink. I will have to find her a cover that's pink. Go figure

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:17 PM

Did they tell you pink was the hottest color? Darn it! That's what my daughter ordered, on 3/30 -- and she's haunting the status order section everyday to check on it.

I thought silver was the biggest seller -- never understood that, b/c silver looks so much like the white!

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
Did they tell you pink was the hottest color? Darn it! That's what my daughter ordered, on 3/30 -- and she's haunting the status order section everyday to check on it.

I thought silver was the biggest seller -- never understood that, b/c silver looks so much like the white!
Yep, I was told by Apple that pink is the biggest seller right now. I asked them what would happen if I wanted to change my color choice. I was informed that I would go back to the bottom of the list if I did that. From a customer service standpoint they are sucking. I'm glad they at least offered an upgrade of sorts.

I ordered mine on 3/11. As of the last delay email I would not have recieved my mini until early May. At this rate I am wondering how Apple is going to release the mini outside the US this summer.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 03:38 PM

if she wants pink let her have pink.

sorry guys.. I got the last pink ipod mini in the apple store for my girlfriend. the pinks have been going on ebay for crazy prices too! one sold, with "i love you" engraved for almost $600.

i think pink is the best seller because the ipod hasn't really attracted women (and kids) until the mini came out. one of the smartest moves by apple. plus... pink is making a come back... remember the late 90's and a couple years ago when people were going crazy over orange? i think people are getting sick of orange. i bet the gold ipod mini is the least selling.

just be glad apple isn't doing the same thing with the ipod minis that they did with the color imacs. back then, retailers had to purchase in packs of 5. so the color ratio was 1:1:1:1:1. that meant for everyone who didn't want orange, they had to get something else... and you know...

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:43 AM

chipchen -- when did you buy? Did you just walk in the store and it was there? (Maybe it was the first day they were released.)

Just wondering...

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 07:26 PM

She wanted pink so here is what I did:

http://www.iskin.com/evo.html#

It's even pinker than the mini

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 08:47 PM

Ordered my silver iPod mini on 3/21 with the original ship date of 4/12. Apple sent me an email stating the mini would be delayed until 5/4 and offered me a 15gb iPod at the same price. I was sooo close to accepting the offer but I am happy to say I received my mini today. The delay was only a week so it wasn't too bad.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 01:22 PM

Funny.

I was in the same situation, but different ending. I ordered a pink Mini for my girlfriend birthday. It was late, so I told her she could get a 15 GB iPod. She asked for the metal one, I changed it yesterday and now she'll have to wait 4 weeks...

So difficult to understand them...
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Forum Links
Forum Rules