Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The Neverending Search For The Perfect iPod Case

The Neverending Search For The Perfect iPod Case
crooner
Senior User
Mar 9, 2005, 04:34 AM

Here�s the skinny: just got a 40GB iPod photo and am now looking at cases. Turns out there are a lot of cool ones.

I thought I�d paste a few links to see what you folks think are the coolest.
Let the critiques begin!:
(please paste the link of whatever case you make reference to - thanks)

http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_mo...d=6498_0_6_0_C

http://www.speckproducts.com/Photo-skin-clear.html

http://www.pacrimtechnologies.com/ca...151fac505f29ad

http://www.pdair.com/picture.php?pdcode=257

http://www.macally.com/new/new_icesuit.html

https://secure.itzkitz.com/catalog/p...products_id=28

http://www.innopocket.com/web/showPr...=124&name=Palm

http://www.boxwave.com/products/acti...o-40gb_432.htm

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2005, 06:06 AM

If you want the best case and money isn't an issue, the Vaja leather cases are money well spent. The quality is top-notch.

These days, I decided I don't need as robust a case for my iPod photo and I've been very happy with the Radtech Podsleeve. It won't add extra protection if you drop it, but for everyday usage, it works quite well.

The Radtech for the iPod mini is also great. For the iPod shuffle, Apple's Sport case is the best out there bar none.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Dr.Michael
Mar 9, 2005, 06:18 AM

I use a simple neoprene sleeve. It allows to operate the iPod without getting it out of the sleeve (except scrollwheel).
I still have the 5GB first gen iPod and the neoprene protected it very well. My iPod did not get a single scratch in nearly 3 years of permanent use.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 08:19 AM

I have the contour design Showcase. i Love this case. I would reccomend it to anyone.

http://www.contourdesign.com/showcase/index.htm
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2005, 08:54 AM

After using the Radtech and the iSkin, I've decided that the iPod doesn't really need a case and is far more enjoyable to use without one.

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 12:32 PM

i am in the same boat with him, i just ordered my ipod photo and need a case for mine, anyone who has one that they like please post links.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by markb8705:
i am in the same boat with him, i just ordered my ipod photo and need a case for mine, anyone who has one that they like please post links.
See above. If you need help http://www.ipodlounge.com is your friend. They have TONS of reviews on different cases.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 9, 2005, 08:18 PM

I recently got a iPod and was about to post this very same topic.

Thanks.

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Mar 9, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Thanks.
Cool. I�m glad we got this thread going. And thanks to those who've already made some great suggestions.

Because I know I'm obsessive about these kinds of things I realize that I'll inevitably end up getting more than one case. Therefore, knowing for sure that I want one to be a white neoprene based "skin," I picked up this today:

http://www.speckproducts.com/Photo-skin-clear.html

It's cool, easy to put on/take off and has a convenient approach to the dilemma of docking the iPod while still in its case.

I definitely think a Vaja leather case in my future, as well. Man, those look nice.

Keep the suggestions coming, folks!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Darkmimic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 09:49 AM

I vote for the 'Contour Showcase' in black

Here's why for those who care.

Its like a crash helmet for your iPod. I just didn't worry about my iPod getting hurt when it was in it.

The thing I like most is that it doesn't hide the basic look of the iPod like so many other cases do. I like the black over the white (or any other color) because the big black border defines the bright white of the iPod itself.

It also allows you to flip a latch and get your iPod out quickly to put it in a dock or if you just want to admire Apple's handiwork.

When I took it out of the case to sell it, it still looked brand new. Unlike my old 3G iPod in an Incase leather sleeve that got all scratched up for whatever reason.

The downside is that the top is pretty thick so you can't use accesories like an iTrip. I've thought about grinding the top down to where an iTrip could make contact but haven't gotten around to destroying my $30 case

A tip for the iPod photo owners. The original 4G case doesn't fit the iPod photos. I just switched from a 4G 40 GB iPod to a 40 GB iPod photo - the difference in thickness kept the case from closing when my new photo was in it.

Contour put out a modified Showcase that lists that its iPod photo compatible on the upper right corner of the package.

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
After using the Radtech and the iSkin, I've decided that the iPod doesn't really need a case and is far more enjoyable to use without one.
Ditto. I had one of those plastic ones and just hated it. At the moment I'm doing the high wire without a net, just enjoying my green mini and hoping I'm careful.

That said, some of the new cases are really kind of cute. I was thinking of getting one of my daughters the Kate Spade one, but I still think 55 bucks for a case is a whole bunch of money.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2005, 04:50 PM

The Vaja cases are beautifull well made and are available in a myriad of colours. Bought my girlfriend one for her 4th gen 20gigger and i am very jealous. Not cheap but lovely.
KRO
Ali P

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2005, 07:50 PM

Make sure you look for the "Made for iPod" logo. It's imperative that Apple gets their 10% in shakedown commissions from that 3rd-party manufaturer.

If you don't buy from a shaken-down manufacturer, but instead drive to a store to purchase a case, Apple wants you to send them 10% of your travel expenses for the trip. I suggest not grabbing anything from a convenience store during the trip (sodas, food, etc.), for this adds to the expense total and, subsequently, the invoice that Apple will be sending you once they learn of your purchase.

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 12:40 PM

got my ipod photo yesterday and went to best buy and bought a jam jacket, its alright but the screen doesn't look the best behind the silicon, it looks like it is wet

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 12, 2005, 08:45 AM

Vaja is amazing in terms of appearance, quality, durability, and the wow factor thing.

Other than price (was >$100 shipped), Vaja complimented my 3G well. For my photo, I went with Agent 18 and am very pleased.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2005, 06:58 PM

Was wondering about ipod cases too, i prefer something that has easy access to all ports (am always in a rush so need something I can hook up to real fast) but also wanted something hidden cause not too keen on the whole world knowing I am carrying an expensive ipod around. Also wanted something that would stash my earphones. So I found on the net a couple of takers: the one I am leaning towards it the:
www.marware.com
marware sportsuit convertible
it has the pouch type thingy that it sits in (with clear front for access to clickwheel etc) then there is a removable cover on top of that which I believe velcros on. There is a removable belt clip at back (and I think armband options), anyway the link gives a much better review. Different colours too, being a girl I wanted something a bit less boring than black, still not mad about the colours but the blue isn't bad. The mini one has the pale blue, pale pink colours that I like

By the way I've noticed there are heaps of great ipod mini covers both for functionality, colour and design, but not as many for ipod. I noticed that even when you get coloured ipod skins they mainly seem to be extremely bright fluro, I want something a bit paler like the ipod mini colours.

The other one I liked was the PodPaq Nappa or Podpaq Ballistic Nylon
found them on an aussie website:
www.frequency.com.au
Looks similar functionality to marware sportsuit convertible but classier, but the thing that would bother me is that it studs closed rather than velcro (which I know looks better but as I am always rushing about the velcro quicker)

The other wallet I absolutely loved (but is girly one, pale blue, pale pink etc which is why I want it)
http://www.acmemade.com/ipodwallet.html

Being a wallet means that it flips out on the side rather than at top which I personally think more convenient than top flip, easier access if on belt etc, but the only reason holding me back from buying it is that it doesn't appear to have a belt clip, so you would have to take it out of the wallet to clip it to your belt which defeats the purpose for me.

So has anyone tried any of these wallets?

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 19, 2005, 12:18 PM

I am going with a black one of ...

http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...4aNaMzLOr7sKpg

It has everything I want, and isn't going to kill my wallet.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2005, 07:40 PM

I am going with a black one of ...

http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...4aNaMzLOr7sKpg

It has everything I want, and isn't going to kill my wallet.
Well I got it in the mail today, and I have been pretty impressed once you get it fitted in properly.

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2005, 08:56 PM

I say get an iSkin...www.iskin.com they're pretty much the same as a few that you showed, but they're pretty cool, unfortunately they don't work with docks.
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2005, 10:15 PM

Like the last post after much deliberation I got this baby below:

http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebO...n4aNaMzLOr7sKpg

marware sportsuit convertible, very happy with it. Pocket has space for my headphones, and I guess small accessories (e.g. such as airplay)

the removable top means when I want to hide my ipod I can dress her so that no mugger sees her, but when I wanna show off my pride and treasure, can rip her top off (in a manner of speaking) to reveal my state of the art gadget.

Got it in blue though (not black) as am a girl! Would have preffered a pretty type girl colour (e.g. pale blue or pink) but can't have everything!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2005, 10:32 PM

this is the case from pacrimtechnologies.com

it also comes in green and pink. one problem: it is short by about 2mm or 3/16". if you look closely you can see the gap around the cap edge. otherwise, nice product. service, however is terrible. i paid for 2 day shipping and not only did they ship late, they charged full boat even though i live 20 miles from their location. i complained about those and the size issue and no one replied. please do not support these jerks; there are plenty of other manufacturers that are more deserving of your business.

i would have bought the speck case but no one contacted me on the release as i was on the email list. i guess they are flakes as well.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2005, 11:18 PM

I've used:

Stock Apple Case: Bad. Very bad. Clip breaks off. Bad. Apple label scratches your iPod. Bad.

Timbuk2 iPod Case: Simple and practical. Nothing to say against it. No real "wow" factor though. I'd avoid it if you have a 3G since there's no way to control it in the case without the remote.

iPod Socks: I like these. Good scratch protection, but obviously little in the way of drop protection. Easy to get on and off. The variety is nice.

iSkin: Ehhh. A bitch to get on and off. Screen protector is easy to loose. Gets warped when you stretch it over the bottom of your iPod for docking.

Vaja Case: Definitely the nicest case I have. Mildly difficult to get on and off. Also the most expensive. If you get a custom one, chances are you won't run into someone wearing the same case (such an embarrassment at parties).

FoofPod: This is my current favorite. Ease of the socks with some more padding. Unique like the Vaja, maybe even more so, because you can't get one at the Apple store.

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Mar 30, 2005, 11:46 AM

I bit the bullet and ordered a beautiful Vaja leather case. Rather than repeat myself, go HERE to see what I got.

And no, this will not be the last case I get for my iPod. I'm slightly out of control with my iPod accessory buying and need an intervention.

The Vaja will, however, be the last expensive case I buy until it wears out and needs replacement.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 11:49 PM

I just got a gray iPod sock for free from my friend's sister on Easter. This thing is great w/ iPod photo 30 GB

-iTrip barely sticks out the top.
-can click wheel thru sock.
-doesn't take up space and slides easily in&out of pockets.
-quickly slides partway off to check what's playing.
-works great if all your scratches come from being in your pocket or sliding around on your passenger seat.
-hides iPod from would be muggers.

Abit667
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2005, 05:19 PM

I got an iSkin for my 20g 4G and I don't really like it that much. I mainly keep the iPod in my pocket or it sits in a tray in the car which was getting it really scractched up so I thought a case would prevent that. Unfortunately the iSkin makes it worse and I rather just deal with the scractching. The rubber it's made out of is kind of is really sticky and gets stuff all over it. For instance when you put it in your pocket not only does it get stuck to the material of your pocket and not move around and feels weird, but when you take it out it's all covered in fuzz and crap. Put it down on a dusty table or something, and it gets that all over it as well and because its so sticky it's a real pain to get it off. If you used the belt clip it would probably be pretty decent, but I took that off so it's not that useful to me.

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Mar 31, 2005, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Abit667:
I got an iSkin for my 20g 4G and I don't really like it that much. I mainly keep the iPod in my pocket or it sits in a tray in the car which was getting it really scractched up so I thought a case would prevent that. Unfortunately the iSkin makes it worse and I rather just deal with the scractching. The rubber it's made out of is kind of is really sticky and gets stuff all over it. For instance when you put it in your pocket not only does it get stuck to the material of your pocket and not move around and feels weird, but when you take it out it's all covered in fuzz and crap. Put it down on a dusty table or something, and it gets that all over it as well and because its so sticky it's a real pain to get it off. If you used the belt clip it would probably be pretty decent, but I took that off so it's not that useful to me.
While I still use my Speck Skin-Tight neoprene case at certain times, the problems you described are precisely why I went looking for another case and ultimately decided on the Vaja. It will provide protection, still represent the appearance of the iPod (through my choice of leather color combo) and will slip in and out of pockets easier. The pocket thing was the most annoying. Any attempt to remove the Speck case from a breast pocket was an Olympic event that left the pocket inside out and me exhausted.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2005, 04:42 PM

I have a Vaja case on my 3G 40 gig and love it. In the event that I buy a new iPod, which will probably have to wait until they come out with an 80 gig version, I'm definitely going to get another Vaja if I can afford it.

LukeGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2005, 11:41 PM

I have a clear Speck Tough Skin (http://www.speckproducts.com/toughskin.html).
For my purposes it is great. All the ports are accesible, the screen is protected and the trackpad is protected when not in use.
The case fits really well and the only reason I can see for having to remove it is to put it in a dock (which I don't have).

I have noticed it is hard to put in/take out of pockets but I don't do this very often, also I don't put it in dirt or dust and dont have a problem with dirt and dust accumulating on the case (others have complained about dirt/dust sticking to the case).

The Vaja looks good though, I might upgrade if I get to see one in the flesh.
60GB iPod Photo
350Mhz G3 B/W Tower 448MBRAM 7GB 40GB DVDRW OSX 10.3
XP2700 1GBRAM TI4200 40GB 200GB SATA RAID 1

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 01:14 PM

I've got the clear Speck Tough Skin as well and am very happy with it. I didn't think I needed click wheel protection, but I like it. I can just toss my iPod in my laptop bag and not worry about it.

I should note, however, that it needs to be trimmed at the top to accomodate a Griffin iTrip (and presumably other transmitters that are similarly sized).

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2005, 01:24 PM

one of the things i do like about my PacRim Tecnologies Gel Shield is the 100% coverage. the buttons are not exposed. you never need to remove it. and even with the slider covered it's a good thing because the case grips it under your thumb and makes it easier to move.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

hotani
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 01:40 PM

I have the iSkin (or iCondom as I usually call it) and it works well, of course my iPod is in the glove box of my car most of the time (hooked into the stereo via iceLink). Yes, it is sticky. I got the 'carbon' color and it shows every last bit of dust, dirt and lint that touches it. Other than that, it is a great case -- it covers the click wheel, and has multiple colors for the display (i got the iShades which is usually a rip at $14 for 5 but they were on sale for 50% so i got some).

And I trimmed off the dock cover, it was just getting in the way.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Forum Links
Forum Rules