Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is [Person/Place/Thing] Racist? The Thread

Is [Person/Place/Thing] Racist? The Thread (Page 2)
Thread Tools
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 6, 2018, 06:50 PM
 
This needs an entry in the thread for debate: https://www.vox.com/world/2018/7/3/1...-danish-ghetto
In Denmark, children over the age of 1 who live in low-income, heavily Muslim immigrant communities that the government classifies as “ghettos” will soon be subject to mandatory training in “Danish values.”

Once children turn 1, they will be required to attend daycare centers for at least 25 hours a week, where they will be taught about the Danish culture and language, including Christian holidays such as Christmas and Easter. If parents refuse to send their children, they could lose their welfare benefits.
“The ghettos must disappear. We will take control of who moves. In particularly burdened areas, we will punish criminality extra hard,” Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen said while meeting with other ministers in March.

“We should be able to recognize our country,” Prime Minister Rasmussen said in March. “There are places where I don’t recognize what I’m seeing.”
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2018, 03:15 PM
 
What about “Airplane!”?

     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2018, 03:29 PM
 
Chongo, it'd be nice if you actually laid out a conclusion for once, instead of pretending to ask a question, quoting some phrases that your news source of choice taught you, then running away when presented with the opportunity to clarify your actual position.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2018, 05:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Chongo, it'd be nice if you actually laid out a conclusion for once, instead of pretending to ask a question, quoting some phrases that your news source of choice taught you, then running away when presented with the opportunity to clarify your actual position.
The thread is called "Is [person/place/thing] racist?" Should I have posted that as Is [Airplane!] racist? I gave as an example two scenes from "Airplane!" and want to know if that makes the movie racist. The movie was released 38 years ago. What was comedy in 1980 has been deemed racist by current standards, yes or no?
( Last edited by Chongo; Jul 10, 2018 at 09:34 PM. )
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018, 09:24 AM
 
What do you think?
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018, 10:35 AM
 
Counterargument: Tropic Thunder.

     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018, 08:47 PM
 
^^^^

As a general rule a white actor doing "black face" is an automatic "Go straight to jail! Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200." But I must admit Robert Downey Jr. was hilarious in that movie!

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2018, 11:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
If we go back to when Trump announced his candidacy, my argument then wasn’t Trump isn’t a racist, but that he’s racist well within the parameters of conservative, old, rich, white people.
Impact of immigration on Europe?

Donald Trump: I think it’s been bad for Europe. I know Europe very well and it’s been tough. We’ve seen some terror attacks. I just think it’s changing the culture and is very negative for Europe and Germany … It’s not politically-correct to say that, but I’ll say it and say it loud. Look at what’s happening to different countries that never had problems — it’s a very sad situation. It’s not good for Europe and it’s not good for our country. We have very bad immigration laws.
subego, would it be fair to say this answer goes beyond 'old rich white conservative' and into white nationalist territory?
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2018, 05:16 AM
 
Sorry, I missed this.

That’s a janky transcript, which also happens to clip the most white supremacist sounding part of the quote:

“We’re, as you know, far superior to anything that’s happened before...”

He’s being anti-Muslim, though. We can slap a negative label on it, but I’m not sure white supremacist is the correct one. Likewise, anti-Muslim is well within the parameters of conservative, rich, old white people.


Edit: You wrote nationalist. My bad.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 17, 2018 at 08:26 AM. )
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2018, 07:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
He’s being anti-Muslim, though. We can slap a negative label on it, but I’m not sure white supremacist is the correct one.
This strikes me as an interesting catch-22. Being anti-muslim specifically is how nationalists and supremacists couch their arguments to make themselves sound more reasonable. Is it possible to make a determination that someone is a white nationalist or supremacists based on their views or muslims?


Originally Posted by subego View Post
Likewise, anti-Muslim is well within the parameters of conservative, rich, old white people.
Here's how I read things in the US: anti-muslim bias is more a product of fear of terrorism, aka 9/11 and ISIS. Fear of muslim culture is an outlier, mostly limited to religious idealogues. Thoughts?

I'd also add that he comes around to immigration laws being the problem. I don't think being anti-immigration is within the parameters of conservative, rich, old white people. This is the domain of the rising alt-right.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2018, 10:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This strikes me as an interesting catch-22. Being anti-muslim specifically is how nationalists and supremacists couch their arguments to make themselves sound more reasonable. Is it possible to make a determination that someone is a white nationalist or supremacists based on their views or muslims?
Straight out of CTP’s playbook.

OAW
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2018, 07:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This strikes me as an interesting catch-22. Being anti-muslim specifically is how nationalists and supremacists couch their arguments to make themselves sound more reasonable. Is it possible to make a determination that someone is a white nationalist or supremacists based on their views or muslims?


Here's how I read things in the US: anti-muslim bias is more a product of fear of terrorism, aka 9/11 and ISIS. Fear of muslim culture is an outlier, mostly limited to religious idealogues. Thoughts?

I'd also add that he comes around to immigration laws being the problem. I don't think being anti-immigration is within the parameters of conservative, rich, old white people. This is the domain of the rising alt-right.
There are two ways to interpret Trump’s criticism of immigration law in his response.

A) He was talking about illegal immigrants.

B) He wasn’t, but was sure to make it look that way when he offered “you put one foot on the land and now you’re tied up in a lawsuit for five years” as an example of what he takes issue with.

My best argument for A is B’s resemblance to him giving a shit what people think.


Whatever anti-Muslim bias I have derives from the barbaric tenets of the religion one finds on display in mainstream Middle Eastern culture. The (at times literally) blistering misogyny bothers me in particular because it’s affecting the most people, but I see why martyrdom gets a disproportionate share of the attention.

Unless they desire to be aggressively reform, I want neither Muslim immigrants or refugees. Frankly, I don’t even want visitors. **** them. Their principles are antithetical to my own and those of this country.

It’s not up to me whether that opinion qualifies as white supremacism or nationalism. However my honest assessment is I can’t even squint and make it a racial argument. I’m asserting cultural supremacy to a degree which could be said to have overlap with white nationalism, but the racial element is explicitly vacant.

So, that’s my answer to both questions. The bias is sourced in cultural supremacism, thus despite the similarity in opinion, a direct link between an anti-Muslim position and ethno-supremacism or nationalism cannot be safely assumed.

Where I start to diverge from CTP and others lies in the amount of cognitive dissonance this opinion causes. It’s a shitload with me, so the result is I generally find keeping it to myself to be the moral action. My policy doesn’t consciously reflect this opinion at all.

With CTP and others, there’s less dissonance, so their policy and attitude reflect it. The “funny” thing is they accurately assess the situation as more dire because they lack support from those such as myself.

Race becomes involved because most Muslims aren’t white. That activates some people’s almonds. CTP isn’t one of them.

With Trump, what stands out to me is how well he stays within conservative, rich, old white people parameters when it comes to black people. If he didn’t really exist inside those parameters with regards to them, by now he would have unforced errored his way out outside of the parameters more times than we could count. Not just as President, but in his 30 years as a public figure. The man doesn’t have a filter. This is the part that’s not fitting into the profile for me, which is what’s casting the doubt on the others.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 18, 2018 at 08:04 AM. )
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2018, 08:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
There are two ways to interpret Trump’s criticism of immigration law in his response.

A) He was talking about illegal immigrants.

B) He wasn’t, but was sure to make it look that way when he offered “you put one foot on the land and now you’re tied up in a lawsuit for five years” as an example of what he takes issue with.
I think you're referencing the wrong convo here. Trump was talking about legal immigration in Europe, period. No 'lawsuit' or 'five years' in the transcript.


Unless they desire to be aggressively reform, I want neither Muslim immigrants or refugees. Frankly, I don’t even want visitors. **** them. Their principles are antithetical to my own and those of this country.
They seem to be ok so far. Have we had any problems with refugees? Is it likely that our 'screening' process is keeping the extreme ones out?


It’s not up to me whether that opinion qualifies as white supremacism or nationalism. However my honest assessment is I can’t even squint and make it a racial argument. I’m asserting cultural supremacy to a degree which could be said to have overlap with white nationalism, but the racial element is explicitly vacant.
Cultural and racial supremacy go hand-in-hand. This goes back to the 'shithole' countries statement. Western White Supremacy obscures it's view of race by talking about culture – see: Steve King, the white nationalist in the House.

By pointing to Mexico being run by the cartels, to Central and South America's instability, to Africa being a shithole, or the middle east being muslim central, the racists pretend it's their cultures that are the problem when they never liked those people to begin with. And, lest we forget, the West spent the past hundred+ years interfering and undermining those same cultures for their own gain.

White supremacists say the problem for blacks in this country is their culture, ignoring that they were enslaved for hundreds of years, legally discriminated against for another 100 (including being terrorized and murdered), and have now graduated to only dealing with institutional racism and subconscious bias in the past 50 years. Oh, and you can probably add in how hard getting ahead has become for the lower classes in the past 40 years which also disproportionately affects them.

Are their white cultures our supremacists rail against? Socialist ones?

With Trump, what stands out to me is how well he stays within conservative, rich, old white people parameters when it comes to black people. If he didn’t really exist inside those parameters with regards to them, by now he would have unforced errored his way out outside of the parameters more times than we could count. Not just as President, but in his 30 years as a public figure. The man doesn’t have a filter. This is the part that’s not fitting into the profile for me, which is what’s casting the doubt on the others.
The problem here being that conservative, rich, old white people are really racist towards black people by default. What do you think the NFL thing is really about?
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2018, 10:21 PM
 
Doing a quick hit on this one because it’s self-contained.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think you're referencing the wrong convo here. Trump was talking about legal immigration in Europe, period. No 'lawsuit' or 'five years' in the transcript.
I’ve got the right convo. Like I said, the Politico transcript is janky.

Here’s the relevant paragraph, the beginning of which is the end of the Politico quote.

It’s a very sad situation. It’s very unfortunate. But I do not think it’s good for Europe and I don’t think it’s good for our country. We’re, as you know, far superior to anything that’s happened before, but we have very bad immigration laws and we’re — I mean, we’re doing incredibly well considering the fact that we virtually don’t have immigration laws. We have laws that are so bad, I don’t even call them “laws.” I call them — it’s just like, you just walk across the border. You walk across the border, you put one foot on the land and now you’re tied up in a lawsuit for five years. It’s the craziest thing anyone has ever seen.
As I pointed out before, Politico clipped the “far superior” part.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ss-conference/
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 26, 2018, 03:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Cultural and racial supremacy go hand-in-hand. This goes back to the 'shithole' countries statement. Western White Supremacy obscures it's view of race by talking about culture – see: Steve King, the white nationalist in the House.

By pointing to Mexico being run by the cartels, to Central and South America's instability, to Africa being a shithole, or the middle east being muslim central, the racists pretend it's their cultures that are the problem when they never liked those people to begin with. And, lest we forget, the West spent the past hundred+ years interfering and undermining those same cultures for their own gain.

White supremacists say the problem for blacks in this country is their culture, ignoring that they were enslaved for hundreds of years, legally discriminated against for another 100 (including being terrorized and murdered), and have now graduated to only dealing with institutional racism and subconscious bias in the past 50 years. Oh, and you can probably add in how hard getting ahead has become for the lower classes in the past 40 years which also disproportionately affects them.

Are their white cultures our supremacists rail against? Socialist ones?
In the same vein as this analysis, which I agree with, I’m trying to show similar positions can be reached without any racism whatsoever.

Like my Muslim example. I wasn’t indicting extremists, I was indicting mainstream Middle Eastern culture. I find it truly disgusting. I don’t feel that way because they’re brown, it’s because their attitude towards civil rights is so appalling even an American has miles of room to assert cultural superiority.

To take another example. If you’ve ever met a union guy... I mean the “you got a problem with that” type... you know they like to party hard, grab ‘em by the pussy, and the one thing they hate more than literally anything is a goddamn, mother****ing scab.

They also love themselves some Roseanne.

In case these dots need to be connected, this looks suspiciously like Trump’s base, and illegal immigrants look suspiciously like scabs.

These observations aren’t meant to dismiss yours. If they were, I wouldn’t have agreed with them. Likewise, racists will unquestionably take advantage of non-racist reasoning to achieve racist ends.

Because of that last bit, I think many have come to the conclusion your observations do dismiss mine. My observations may as well not exist, or worse, they only exist to enable racism.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2018, 08:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Doing a quick hit on this one because it’s self-contained. As I pointed out before, Politico clipped the “far superior” part.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ss-conference/
I read you, but I'm not sure I understand the relevance to:

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't think being anti-immigration is within the parameters of conservative, rich, old white people. This is the domain of the rising alt-right.
Let's say the average muslim is incompatible with our society:
• Wouldn't our laws force them to conform more to the American norm?
• Wouldn't we see problems arising with the refugees we're taking in?
• Lastly, how do you explain that american muslims are more tolerant towards gay marriage than evangelical whites?
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2018, 08:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
To take another example. If you’ve ever met a union guy... I mean the “you got a problem with that” type... you know they like to party hard, grab ‘em by the pussy, and the one thing they hate more than literally anything is a goddamn, mother****ing scab.

They also love themselves some Roseanne.

In case these dots need to be connected, this looks suspiciously like Trump’s base, and illegal immigrants look suspiciously like scabs.
Is there any statistics to back this up? Polls showing union members support the wall or ICE or some other good signifiers of Trump's anti-immigrant crowd in greater numbers that non-unionized people?


Originally Posted by subego View Post
Likewise, racists will unquestionably take advantage of non-racist reasoning to achieve racist ends.

Because of that last bit, I think many have come to the conclusion your observations do dismiss mine. My observations may as well not exist, or worse, they only exist to enable racism.
I think the reason I come off dismissive of your observations is because I don't see any signs this is representative of the majority that support Trump's policies.

You've seen the various studies that correlate Trump's victory with racial issues, yes? Do you believe them?

But to circle back to my complaint, am I correct that so long as someone couches their arguments in terms of culture or jobs, they are effectively camouflaged from being able to be construed as a racist?
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2018, 02:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Is there any statistics to back this up? Polls showing union members support the wall or ICE or some other good signifiers of Trump's anti-immigrant crowd in greater numbers that non-unionized people?
I do not, however I’m attempting to describe a type, and this type need not belong to a union to exist.

The only thing specific to unions I used in my characterization is the term for someone who undercuts earnings by doing an end-run around the system. Union membership is not required to share this concern.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2018, 04:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think the reason I come off dismissive of your observations is because I don't see any signs this is representative of the majority that support Trump's policies.
If my observations apply to only 25% of those who voted Trump, that’s 15 million people, or half the state of California.

This is why I keep getting up in everybody’s grille even though I’m on the same side. The current battle plan is inflicting massive collateral damage.

There’s an argument that loss is acceptable due to the severity of the threat, but we can’t get there because I can’t get anyone to acknowledge the collateral damage is even happening.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 29, 2018 at 05:34 PM. )
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 5, 2018, 06:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I do not, however I’m attempting to describe a type, and this type need not belong to a union to exist.

The only thing specific to unions I used in my characterization is the term for someone who undercuts earnings by doing an end-run around the system. Union membership is not required to share this concern.
I mean, sure you're describing a type but how am I to know if they're a real subset or just a figment of your imagination?



Originally Posted by subego View Post
If my observations apply to only 25% of those who voted Trump, that’s 15 million people, or half the state of California.

This is why I keep getting up in everybody’s grille even though I’m on the same side. The current battle plan is inflicting massive collateral damage.

There’s an argument that loss is acceptable due to the severity of the threat, but we can’t get there because I can’t get anyone to acknowledge the collateral damage is even happening.
My problem here is you seem to be dismissing over-arching themes and problems by appealing for understanding for a nebulous minority within his coalition. The past two years have been spent showing how Trump's positions are racist or have racist consequences. If this doesn't convince this hypothetical minority to abandon support for him, then it means they're ok with racist consequences. You can't be indifferent to racism when real consequences exist from your actions (voting). Doubly so when we're telling you about those consequences.

See: Trump voters who lost illegal friends in their community, didn't expect it to happen, yet still support him.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2018, 08:29 AM
 
“There’s an argument that loss is acceptable due to the severity of the threat” isn’t a dismissal. It’s explicit acknowledgment of the overarching themes and problems.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 9, 2018, 08:06 PM
 
This also needs to be expanded on. I’m working on it.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 11, 2018, 07:48 PM
 
Let me try a different tack.

I’m stealing this quote from a different thread.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Amen. For all my critique of racism on these forums if you guys think I imagine myself above harboring a lot implicit bias, you are quite mistaken. It's a challenge to recognize it, let alone confront it.
The enormous difficulty of this task makes me sympathetic towards the people who are abject failures at it, not angry at them. They’re failures because they have bad data mortared into their skull, not because they have bad hearts.

To put it bluntly, they have brain damage. I put the vast majority of Trump supporters in this category.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 23, 2018, 12:28 AM
 


BARK BARK BARK
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2018, 08:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Let me try a different tack.

I’m stealing this quote from a different thread.



The enormous difficulty of this task makes me sympathetic towards the people who are abject failures at it, not angry at them. They’re failures because they have bad data mortared into their skull, not because they have bad hearts.

To put it bluntly, they have brain damage. I put the vast majority of Trump supporters in this category.
...but everyone is telling them that thing they can't recognize. There's no seeing it and then there's ignoring what's being pointed out.

I'm not sure this is fair, but in a year where we have more white nationalists and worse running in living memory, it bears noting how badly they lose. It being a likely blue wave makes what is not going to be a scientific analysis even more unscientific, but the point is if Corey Stewart, running an openly nationalist campaign can capture 40% of the vote (let alone of Trump voters) that doesn't speak well to the concept there being a lot of 'accidental' racists.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2018, 08:30 PM
 
Oh yeah, it seems to be only 17% of republican voters are the non-deplorable kind.


Edit: Which is to say, your thrown-out 25% number is more like 83%
     
Thorzdad
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2018, 05:24 PM
 
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2018, 05:42 PM
 
^^^

He knew exactly what he was doing. Even Fox News called him out for his comment so his denial when it has been widely regarded as a blatant "dog whistle" is BS.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2018, 09:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Unequivocally to me. He used a saying no ones heard of. He also referred to Gillum as 'articulate.'

Also, Fox is already backtracking on that 'not condoning' statement.

BTW, https://american-ledger.com/accounta...s-and-muslims/

The Tea Party Facebook group is also run in part by extremist media figures Pamela Geller, Jack Posobiec,Patrick Howley of the far-right site Big League Politics, and Eliyokim Cohen of the racist fake news site Jews News (who has defended neo-Nazis in the group). Other administrators and moderators of this group include neo-Confederate Virginia GOP Senate nominee Corey Stewart, as well as Republican congressional candidates Danny Tarkanian, Daniel Crenshaw, Matt Rosendale, Patrick Morrisey, and Chris McDaniel, and Rep. Jim Renacci (R-OH), who is running for re-election.
A lot of high profile shitheads to confirm it.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2018, 09:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
If my observations apply to only 25% of those who voted Trump, that’s 15 million people, or half the state of California.
DeSantis is clearly racist, so he should do far worse than Trump, right? (I have no faith in Florida)
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 30, 2018, 10:16 PM
 
I can't believe I'm asking this, but is it racist to use the n-word?





"What happened between 2006 and now," he asked innocently.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 31, 2018, 05:23 PM
 
^^^^

You guys have heard me say it on plenty of occasions around here. The denial among our good friends on the right runs so deep that if a white man burned a cross on a black family's yard they'll swear it wasn't "racist" and was just a simple case of "arson".

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 31, 2018, 07:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
^^^^

You guys have heard me say it on plenty of occasions around here. The denial among our good friends on the right runs so deep that if a white man burned a cross on a black family's yard they'll swear it wasn't "racist" and was just a simple case of "arson".

OAW
At the very least, you can't judge a man if he does it once.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 07:34 AM
 
See anything racist here? Someone did and filed a complaint with the city of Phoenix. This is terminal 3 at Sky Harbor airport.

[/url]
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 11:07 AM
 
Well, without knowing what the pictograms actually represent... no. Most of arizona is covered in various tribal markings, right?
     
Thorzdad
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 12:01 PM
 
Got a link to the story?
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 03:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
See anything racist here? Someone did and filed a complaint with the city of Phoenix. This is terminal 3 at Sky Harbor airport.

[/url]
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well, without knowing what the pictograms actually represent... no. Most of arizona is covered in various tribal markings, right?
Correct, but that is not what was seen by the complaintant.
Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Got a link to the story?
I've been trying to find it. It happened just as the internet was starting. The one place I found it is on the AZ Republic archives section of newspapers.com (parent company), owned by Tegna/Gannet) and it requires a subscription. It is not on the AZCentral.com website. (Az Republic website)


Someone complained that he saw "KKK" in the pictogram. I think it was actually the west street entrance. Terminal three has the same pictogram, just larger. The city had it painted in a way to minimze seeing "KKK." I haven't entered from the surface streets since the freeway entrance opened, so I don't know if the street entrance sign still has the pictograms on it.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 03:11 PM
 
So your latest contribution to the thread is a 25 year old story about a person who saw KKK imagery in tribal deco?

Have any thoughts on the more recent events posted, like DeSantis' comments?
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 03:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So your latest contribution to the thread is a 25 year old story about a person who saw KKK imagery in tribal deco?

Have any thoughts on the more recent events posted, like DeSantis' comments?
Don't buy Ben and Jerry's.


If you have this, throw it away.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 03:29 PM
 
Huh, I totally didn't see the KKKs. I did check for swastikas though.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 04:11 PM
 
I was trying to figure out the cultural appropriation angle.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 04:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So your latest contribution to the thread is a 25 year old story about a person who saw KKK imagery in tribal deco?

Have any thoughts on the more recent events posted, like DeSantis' comments?
"Libs think everything is racist and overuse it."

Chongo is why dogwhistles work.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 04:50 PM
 
No, some people (leftists, not liberals) see racism where there is none, especially when they seek to Balkanize this country.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 04:59 PM
 
I suppose that brings us to a good foundational question: Do dog whistles exist? Can racism be communicated in such a manner?
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 05:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
No, some people (leftists, not liberals) see racism where there is none, especially when they seek to Balkanize this country.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 05:48 PM
 
My gente polled at the bottom. ¡pinche izquierda!
What, no Asians were polled? Try getting into an Ivy League school or a Cal State University with your perfect SAT/ACT score and being Asian.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2018, 11:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
What, no Asians were polled? Try getting into an Ivy League school or a Cal State University with your perfect SAT/ACT score and being Asian.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 5, 2018, 07:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
paddle yourself
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 6, 2018, 07:25 PM
 
For showing you were projecting?
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 7, 2018, 10:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
For showing you were projecting?
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,