Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro RAM Prices

Mac Pro RAM Prices
Loyalty4Life
Aug 13, 2006, 04:46 PM

Well, as we all know, the RAM prices for the MP are through the roof. Apple's prices on it's website are ridiculously high, and even the website where I bought some RAM for my old 20" iMac at a good price has MP RAM at a very high price:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

One thing I'm not familiar with is: How long does it take RAM like this to reduce in price, and what sort of price reductions do you guess will take place over the next 8-10 months?

Just wondering. Thanks.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2006, 05:28 PM

I'm thinking that it will take a number of months to see the prices go down, maybe even longer. The Mac Pro is using new technology and such that can be expensive
Michael

ender78
Aug 13, 2006, 07:56 PM

The price bump for the MBP lasted a few weeks at most, the prices today are due to vendors getting their feelers out there an pricing out what the market will bear,

OreoCookie
Aug 13, 2006, 08:51 PM

The reason why MP's RAM is more expensive:
(i) it's new RAM technology
(ii) it's ECC RAM (error-correcting RAM)

Since ECC RAM is sold in lower volumes, the prices are naturally higher (although you pay for only one additional RAM chip).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 10:21 AM

I've read somewhere that Apple do recommend not to install RAM from 3rd party vendors because it could potentially raise the temperature inside the mac ... Have you read that too and do you agree ?
S k y p a t

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 10:27 AM

The reason why Apple cautions against using thrid party RAM is because their RAM comes with large heatsinks. Someone reported to www.xlr8yourmac.com that he used Crucial memory which only has standard heat spreaders in his Mac Pro. He even stuck on some VRAM heatsinks to the built-in heat spreaders and Apple System Profiler reported 2 ECC Correctable Errors when the modules were put on the bottom riser board. He later tried the same modules on the upper riser board and they worked fine, but I would still be a little worried...

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 10:28 AM

Those prices make me crying, I did not know I am so poor
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
The reason why Apple cautions against using thrid party RAM is because their RAM comes with large heatsinks. Someone reported to www.xlr8yourmac.com that he used Crucial memory which only has standard heat spreaders in his Mac Pro. He even stuck on some VRAM heatsinks to the built-in heat spreaders and Apple System Profiler reported 2 ECC Correctable Errors when the modules were put on the bottom riser board. He later tried the same modules on the upper riser board and they worked fine, but I would still be a little worried...
Crucial recalled all memory shipped out for Mac Pro systems a few days ago... after testing they found it didn't meet their requirements for stability and reliability.

They have some Intel validated FB-DIMMs, so I wonder if it's just that the Mac Pro's cooling system isn't sufficient withut the giant heatsinks.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 01:22 AM

Matched pairs.... wow. I feel like we're back in 1988...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
I'm not convinced matched pairs are necessary or even better.

rotuts
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 03:19 PM

Heat-Sink MacPro RAM: if anyone 'sees' MacPro RAM with the heavier heat sinks on line would one post that infor here?

My Crucial MacPro ram was recalled by them prior to it actually getting to my house. I give that company plenty of credit for doing this and Im betting they will have a solution soon.

I can wait as Ive always had their RAM and its never cause me any problems and their prices in the past have been attractive.

but Id like to hear from others who find really "cool" RAM elsewhere.
]
cheers

rt
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2006, 05:19 PM

I'm still awaiting delivery of my Mac Pro and the memory modules that I ordered from Other World Computing. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll report back on how OWC's modules perform.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
In 1988, matched pairs was required for a different reason, memory interleaving. Ie. while the processor was reading from one RAM chip, the other RAM chip was being filled from the HD.

Nowadays the RAM is needed to keep the memory bus bandwith filled.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Loyalty4Life  (op)
Aug 18, 2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
I'm still awaiting delivery of my Mac Pro and the memory modules that I ordered from Other World Computing. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll report back on how OWC's modules perform.
OWC is where I buy my Mac RAM, as well. I look forward to reading your report...

nlr154
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 02:18 AM

Apple Mac Pro Memory Upgrades

here's another place.

rotuts
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 10:56 AM

thanks for the upgrade tip and other places to consider.

they seem more $$ than Crucial, but then don't know the final Crucial price as they upgrade the heat sink.

Ill wait a while and see.

cheers

rotuts
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules