Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't get OS X to boot all the way

Can't get OS X to boot all the way
Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2001, 04:11 PM

I set an app called Granet, which monitors network load, to start at login time and now I can't get OS X to come all the way up, even after I deleted Granet. Darwin is running--I can Telnet in from another machine, but the Desktop never comes up and I end up with a blank blue screen. Is there any way I can work around this with the command line remotely? Reinstalling OS X seems like a brute force method of fixing the problem. I think what I need to do is to destroy and recreate my userid, but I'm not sure how to do it. Thanks.

benThinkin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 06:17 PM

I don't have a solution -- just a similar problem.

After running OS X for three days (smooth as glass!) I rebooted my PowerBook into X... and encountered a "Mac Blue Screen of Death" (or an "Endless Rainbow").

Booting up, OS X runs through its startup routing just fine. When the splash screen disappears and I expect the Dock, all I get is the rolling rainbow cursor. After about ten seconds, it resets to a black cursor, then another ten seconds of multispectrum limbo. I've rebooted five times and waited as long as ten minutes -- my desktop never appears.

To make matters worse, I had a hard time getting 9.1 to come back. For some reason, my Mac refused to 'bless' the old system folder long enough to reboot. Reinstalling a fresh sys fol. from the CD worked, eventually... Reinstalling X didn't help, and trashed my 9.1 folder. Again.

Anyone find a solution to this? The folks at discussions.info.apple.com don't seem to know yet.

------------------

Federico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 07:27 PM

hello

My OS X refuses to accept my password (it worked perfectly for 3 days, and suddenly I can't log-in)

I don't know if we have related problems, but it seems to me that this build was not properly tested before going GM.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2001, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by benThinkin:
I don't have a solution -- just a similar problem.

Anyone find a solution to this? The folks at discussions.info.apple.com don't seem to know yet.
Can't say I have a solution, but I can add my experience -
My wife put her Pismo to sleep before she left work.
When she woke it up >4 hours later, the battery indicator was very low.
About five seconds later, the whole thing froze up.

After giving the three-fingered salute, I rebooted into the
same Rainbow Hell that you just described.
Crash. Burn. Hard.
Anyway, re-installing OS X over the old installation did not fix the
problem, and I had to reformat the drive, re-install everything from
scratch, and restore her Home account. Things work now.
I suspect the Power Management problems in OS X
had something to do with it.

I forgot Apple had Discusison Boards - I'll check them before sending a bug report.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules