Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How can I print to a PC parallel port connected printer w/10.2?

How can I print to a PC parallel port connected printer w/10.2?
BTP
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 12:51 PM

I have a home network with an old PC running W2K Server connected to a HP G85 OfficeJet via parallel port. The IP address of the PC is 192.168.200.31 and I can connect to it and mount either shared drive.

The printer is also shared but I cannot see it on my iBook. There is no update making the G85 work with 10.2, and I want to use a shared printer anyway. I have tried adding an IP based printer under Print Center, and I have even tried using CUPS (http://localhost:631) to add a printer, but that doesn't work either.

It looks to me that I am not connecting, rather than my configuration failing. Others on the newtowrk running W2K can see and print. Any one know how can I too?
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

CDM
Sep 16, 2002, 07:25 PM

See the following link, I got my printer to work using samba, I hope it helps:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...20824202229751

BTP  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 01:21 PM

Thanks, that looks promising, as I have no problems connecting to the print server via Samba.

I have a problem that I can't get past:

[BTPs-Computer:libexec/cups/backend] btp% ln -s /usr/bin/smbspool smb

ln: smb: Permission denied

WTF?!

Also, due to the hours of fun, I wiped W2K Server and put plain old W2K on it, if that makes a difference.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2002, 05:29 PM

Put 'sudo ' (including the trailing space) before that line and it should work fine.

BTP  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 06:32 PM

Cool. That worked! Thanks!

Now to see if I can get the rest of this working.

asmujica
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2002, 08:15 AM

Change the workgroup of your mac so its the same as the windows box. THere you should not have any more problems.

BTP  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 12:20 PM

Where do I do that?

mikebat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by BTP:
Where do I do that?
Open "Directory Access" in your /Applications/Utilities folder, then double-click SMB in the list.

A sheet should appear, where you can change "WORKGROUP" to the one you want.

HTH,
--Mike

BTP  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 10:44 PM

Thanks Mike. I Love that I keep learning new stuff here.

Thanks to you all. However, as this turns out, the difficulty is with the W2K and the printer.

4 people, 2 really good Windows guys and still, nothing since Saturday. I was really ambivalent toward Windows, but I am leaning toward pure hate.

The problem so far is that the W2k can't reliably print to the local printer, so networking will be looked at next. I hope that goes smoother.

Something seems to corrupt the HP G85 drivers, and there is a lot of chasing down to do, so far crappy W2K machine: 5, US:0

BTP  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 07:02 PM

Here is the latest.

*Finally*, the HP OfficeJet G85 is working on the local box. Putting XP on it turned out to be a better solution that 2000, and stripping XP down for better performance.

Now the printer works locally, a laptop w/2000 can print to it wirelessly, but my iBook and the G4 cannot.

They can login via Samba, but cannot connect to the printer. I have used the hint CDM suggested and still nothing. There has to be a way for me to see the printer or connect to it, but after looking and looking, I can't seem to get in there. I even can connect with Microsoft Remote Desktop to administer the box, which works quite well, but can't connect to the printer. Connecting to the box doesn't seem to be that much trouble; just the printer.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

I know there are new driver for the HP G85, but that doesn't seem to play into this scenario, as they would only help locally.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules