Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disks not compatible?

Disks not compatible?
DomDom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2004, 11:36 PM

I have recently aquired a new powerbook 15" and would like to install the new iLife apps on my g4 iMac. The installer says the disks are not useable with that (iMac ) machine.

Why is this so?

Any suggestions?

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 08:18 AM

What version of OS X are you running on the iMac and the PowerBook?

(Check in "About This Mac" in the Apple Menu)

electropura
Dec 25, 2004, 03:29 PM

hmm...are you trying to install the iApps from the install disk of the PowerBook on the iMac...yeah, you can't do that..they can only be installed on the machine it came with.

None of the bundled apps can be installed on another machine.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2004, 04:37 PM

Network the machines and drag them across. Be sure to get the /Library/application Support/Garage Band folder.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by DomDom:
I have recently aquired a new powerbook 15" and would like to install the new iLife apps on my g4 iMac. The installer says the disks are not useable with that (iMac ) machine.

Why is this so?

Any suggestions?

I suggest reading the license agreements, and then adhering to them.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
I suggest reading the license agreements, and then adhering to them.
Most license agreements cover a single user installing the software on a home and a mobile computer. That might be worded differently with the bundled iLife compared to the retail, but I don't think it's worth getting your undies in a bundle.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Most license agreements cover a single user installing the software on a home and a mobile computer. That might be worded differently with the bundled iLife compared to the retail, but I don't think it's worth getting your undies in a bundle.
iLife is a single computer license. his situation is exactly why apple sells a "family pack" for ilife just as they do os x.

and my undies are not in a bundle. but if someone won't pay for a $50 piece of software they likely won't pay for anything else. it is piracy and it is wrong and they should be told it is wrong.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Forum Links
Forum Rules