Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > B&W tower with 8.6 Crashes

B&W tower with 8.6 Crashes
DomDom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2002, 06:39 AM

Hi,

Can anyone offer me advice on my problem. I have a B&W tower with 8.6 installed, I have office 98, Photoshop 4, a kodak with docking staion attatched and various other software etc.

The computer crashes or freezes frequently in Word and when I try to download photos.

If I restart this solves the problem until I use a few diferent programs then I need to restart again.

Help?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2002, 11:29 AM

I don't have the full answer (been a long time since I've used 8.6) but trying disabling the Microsoft Office Manager control panel to start. The other obvious thing would be to just quit Word before downloading photos. BTW, when you saying downloading photos, are you talking about from your camera or from the net?

DomDom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2002, 06:19 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gankdawg:
<strong>I don't have the full answer (been a long time since I've used 8.6) but trying disabling the Microsoft Office Manager control panel to start. The other obvious thing would be to just quit Word before downloading photos. BTW, when you saying downloading photos, are you talking about from your camera or from the net?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I download photos from my camera, it usually needs to be restarted to do this.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2002, 07:01 AM

Run DIMM First Aid. Make sure non of your RAM is rated at "10 nanosecond." If it is, pull it and get 8 nanosecond RAM. about $60 or less for 256MB.

Backup, reinitialize, do a clean install. Move the Office library extensions into the Office 98/Office folder after you do a first run. Make sure you have IE 5.1.5. And that you have applications more than enough memory. Have you played with VM off/on to see if it helps? I'd never turn it on.

Also, run Disk Warrior. that is part of good maintenance.
check your system file with ResEdit for minor damage.
Don't use Norton 4/5 at all. If you must, TechTool Pro 3.x or Norton 6.03, but run Disk Warrior first (but after runnning the latest Apple Disk First Aid - you can use the latest Drive Setup also on 8.6).

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2002, 01:59 PM

Upgrade to OS 9. I found it to be 100X more stable. OS 9.2.2 hasn't crashed on me in months on my B&W G3.

<get a cheap....>
Jul 30, 2002, 11:56 PM

...$25 card reader to move your photos from camera to pc. I have a Kodak camera and I had similar problems with the "Kodak Camera Mounter" extension, it doesn't play nice , so disable it. (it is launched at startup)....I never could figure out the glitch, so card reader works 100% (and faster)with no software to install.

Try give Office a little more memory?? I dunno bout that one....contact MS support?

.....good luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules