Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mail.app problems - cannot send mail through smtp anymore!

Mail.app problems - cannot send mail through smtp anymore!
Nubben
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 10:19 AM

Hi all,

Was wondering if someone would be able to help with a major problem I'm having. I cannot for some reason send mail from Mail.app using any of my 5 mail accounts! It has just stopped working!

I am running Tiger on a MacBook Pro with all the latest software updates and firmware updates. Btw, this problem started before the recent firmware update.

I am using AirPort connected to a wireless router/modem provided by my ISP "Be" here in the UK.

I can surf the internet, download/upload documents to servers, download e-mail in Mail.app but not send...

Could it be the router? But then again, I shouldn't be able to send files then right?

Can someone please give me some hints?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nubben

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 10:53 AM

If all your accounts are with the same ISP, and your settings are all correct and unchanged, I would think this is almost certainly a problem at their end. Maybe their SMTP server/system is just down for a while. What about sending via SMTP through some other ISP just to confirm the problem is wit Be.

OreoCookie
Nov 16, 2006, 11:08 AM

This sounds like a networking problem … moving.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nubben  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
If all your accounts are with the same ISP, and your settings are all correct and unchanged, I would think this is almost certainly a problem at their end. Maybe their SMTP server/system is just down for a while. What about sending via SMTP through some other ISP just to confirm the problem is wit Be.
Philm,

They are with different ISP's - .Mac, Yahoo and Google. I use different SMTP servers for each of them.

Nubben

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 03:13 PM

your isp may be blocking port 25, i think it is.....comcast just recently did the same to me, the work was to use their mail server, which if you call, they will gladly give you.......try that, or check your firewall settings....also try pinging the smtp servers via terminal....if it works there, then the problem is a setting in maill app.

good luck

Nubben  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Photo678 View Post
your isp may be blocking port 25, i think it is.....comcast just recently did the same to me, the work was to use their mail server, which if you call, they will gladly give you.......try that, or check your firewall settings....also try pinging the smtp servers via terminal....if it works there, then the problem is a setting in maill app.

good luck
Thanks Photo678.

I will call them although I would prefer to use each individual mail server just in case the ISP's crashes or something.

When you say firewall - what settings should I look for? And, how do I ping the servers?

Many thanks again.

Nubben

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 05:51 PM

well start with terminal open it up, and type in telnet mail.yourdomain.com (like mail.google.com) 25

so telnet mail.google.com 25

veresm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nubben View Post
Hi all,

Was wondering if someone would be able to help with a major problem I'm having. I cannot for some reason send mail from Mail.app using any of my 5 mail accounts! It has just stopped working!

I am running Tiger on a MacBook Pro with all the latest software updates and firmware updates. Btw, this problem started before the recent firmware update.

I am using AirPort connected to a wireless router/modem provided by my ISP "Be" here in the UK.

I can surf the internet, download/upload documents to servers, download e-mail in Mail.app but not send...

Could it be the router? But then again, I shouldn't be able to send files then right?

Can someone please give me some hints?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nubben
I have been on the phone with Road Runner trying to resolve the same problem. They told me it is an Apple problem. I have tried all of the solutions suggested. I changed ports to 587... nothing... Mail will not send. Settings are all correct. Port 25 does not accept mail. I can receive just fine.
Help!
Maggie (:

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2006, 02:10 AM

Port 25 is not used for accepting mail, 143 (imap), 993 (imaps) are the default IMAP ports.

You can't just arbitrarily change ports and hope things will work. It does sound like outgoing connections to external SMTP servers on port 25 is being blocked, as somebody else said, and is pretty typical. The only way to get these external mail relays to work is if they accept connections on an alternate port. If they don't, there is absolutely nothing you can do.

Your solutions are either to use your ISPs SMTP server, or look into using these other servers on an alternate port. You can check to see if these machines are listening on this port by doing a:

telnet <servername> <portname>

Spoffo
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2006, 09:50 PM

I recently set up two new broadband hookups for friends (different ISPs) and in both cases, they would accept outgoing mail ONLY via the ISP's SMTP server, with password authentification. My sense is that this is the trend in the industry. They probably view it as a security issue.

The e-mail setup, including the SMTP server is usually available on the ISPs website. Hopefully, if you need authenitfication, you have a record somewhere of the password you set up when you started the account,
Dual 1.8 G5 tower w/ Pioneer 112, 4 gb RAM, 500 & 200gb HDs
MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz Core 2 Duo, 4 gb RAM, VM Ware Fusion & Boot Camp installed with Win XP Pro (Previously used Parallels)

Forum Links
Forum Rules