Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook power adapter cord

Macbook power adapter cord
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 12:13 PM

Black Macbook, around 9 months old, I use it extensively 24/7, both at work and home.

The electric cord coming from the power adapter broke down, probably after all the twist and use, but also probably because heat over time. I wonder if anybody saw this happening before, I'll have to argue with the Apple support for a replacement (this is Europe and for wherever reason, service is not as good as in the States).

Any cases?
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2007, 12:45 PM

This happened to me too. I use my MacBook everyday for web, chat, etc. My power cord works, although its broken. I called an Apple representative here in Dominican Republic and they said to bring it in to see what can be done.

BTW, this also happened to a friend of mine!

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 04:27 PM

Yeah, I used to have a tiPB and the yoyo power adaptor cord was made in a much resistant material. The Apple representatives in the Apple store in Utrecht doubted my laptop guarantee would cover it...

I'll let you know how it goes, I still ask for those around who are familiar with this failure to support my case.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2007, 08:07 PM

Good luck! I'll tell you how it goes for me.

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2007, 01:46 PM

Im in the states.......happened to mine, and they replaced it for me

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Photo678 View Post
Im in the states.......happened to mine, and they replaced it for me
Yeah, I've seen this covered before. If it looks like the adapter was abused, that's one thing, but if it's melted itself or is falling apart in the course of normal use they should replace it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2007, 08:42 AM

If you didn't swing the adapter by its cord they should replace it for you. This is a pretty well known issue-when the MagSafe system first came out there was an enormous hue and cry about how the cord would twist, crack at the adapter end, and otherwise wear poorly. Frankly, if they didn't make it look like winding the cord on the ears they put on the adapter was what they wanted you to do, that cord would probably do much better-a classmate's BlackBook adapter cord looks BRAND new because she just winds it up in a circle and sticks it in her bag, while mine (an MBP adapter, but the cord is the same) looks like it's got tumors in the cord because I wind it on the adapter ears.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 10:04 AM

Apparently, they'll replace it.

I just checked my lab mate new MBP 17" and the cord is stronger and thicker, i guess, they realized the rev. mag safe cord was way too thin.

Thanks for the input.

Forum Links
Forum Rules