Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Recording with Quicktime

Recording with Quicktime
Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2010, 08:30 AM

Hello,

I have a strange problem when I try to record the output of a digital instrument using Quicktime in Leopard. I use the phones output of the instrument which is connected to the line-in input of my Macbook. The whole input-output setup seems correct as I can hear the sound when I open a new Quicktime window to capture the sound. However, what I record and hear (through good quality USB headphones) is very mediocre.

What is more strange is that there is a big lag between my playing and the arrival of the sound into my ears, meaning I lose easily the control and I cannot play correctly.

I checked the instrument phone output with earphones and it sounds great. So the problem seems to be in the computer/software side. Same result with my wife's Macbook Pro, only in that case the lag was smaller (a question of processing power?).

Is that how recording with Quicktime is supposed to work or am I doing something wrong? I know that there must be other solutions but here I try just to achieve a reasonably good recording for a friend to hear.

Thanks!

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2010, 10:05 AM

I see you stated QT for a reason but is there a reason your not using GarageBand?

Pierre B.  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post
I see you stated QT for a reason but is there a reason your not using GarageBand?
Not really. I have never used GarageBand and I don't know if it can do in a simple and quick way what I want to do. But yes, I thought to explore its possibilities if I don't manage to get the Quicktime recording to work properly.

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 9, 2010, 08:34 AM

GarageBand is ideal for the job you're planning on doing.

Pierre B.  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2010, 07:00 AM

I have finally tried Garageband only to find out that it cannot detect the line in sound input. However this is well recognised and used by Quicktime.

What I finally did is the following. As it was impossible to play and at the same time record on my Macbook, because of the lag I talked about previously, I used the sequencer of the intrument to record internally what I wanted and then I transfered my record to the Macbook through Quicktime. This worked well and produced a very good result.

Forum Links
Forum Rules