Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple Lightning connectors may omit video-out support [U]

Apple Lightning connectors may omit video-out support [U]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 13, 2012, 09:25 AM

[update] Apple has said that Video-out Lightning cables are forthcoming. A list of supported outputs have been added. The new Lightning connector used on Apple devices like the iPhone 5 doesn't support video-out, Apple's website suggests. Product pages for the company's Lightning-to-30-pin adapters state that "Video and iPod Out" aren't supported, even though the 30-pin products they attach to should be capable.

If Lightning is incapable of handling video, it could be a tradeoff of the format's smaller size. It might also force people to use AirPlay to push video to a display, which could in turn be used to spur more Apple TV sales. The iPhone 5 can run AirPlay Mirroring on an Apple TV at resolutions up to 720p, or normal AirPlay functions at up to 1080p. Apple has announced that Lightning to VGA and Lightning to HDMI cables are forthcoming. The Lightning to Dock adapter cables support analog audio out, as well as USB audio, synchronization, and charging needs. The "iPod Out" protocol allows peripherals to display the iOS device's display, and is commonly used with in-dash entertainment centers. MacNN suggests that readers contact peripheral vendors to ensure compatibility with Apple's adapters before purchase.

daqman
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2012, 10:19 AM

""Video and iPod Out" aren't supported", hey, whoa etc what does that mean exactly? The video part is clear but "iPod out"? Does that mean that most docks and the adapters for cars etc that use the 30 pin connector will no longer work?
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

hansmickle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2012, 11:39 AM

Another bit of evidence that Apple is losing its way

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 13, 2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by hansmickle View Post
Another bit of evidence that Apple is losing its way
I actually like it. It reminds me of Pleasure Island in Pinnochio. crApple has created the "Island" and these fans are soon to be made jackasses out of their "fun".... 1984 video is backwards as well... reminds me of break-free from your old master, yet, in subtle tones... "I am your salvation"... yet it is another trap. THIS STUFF IS TOO EASY

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2012, 01:24 PM

Guys, relax. This refers to analog video out (video) and L/R analog audio out (iPod out). There will be an HDMI dongle for the lightning connector.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 01:26 PM

No analog line out means that any car kit will have to include a D/A converter for audio, though.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
I actually like it. It reminds me of Pleasure Island in Pinnochio. crApple has created the "Island" and these fans are soon to be made jackasses out of their "fun".... 1984 video is backwards as well... reminds me of break-free from your old master, yet, in subtle tones... "I am your salvation"... yet it is another trap. THIS STUFF IS TOO EASY
Your presence here remains an enigma to me.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 13, 2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Your presence here remains an enigma to me.
Thanks, it shall stay that way.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2012, 05:04 PM

Close examination reveals the analog headphone jack is now located on the bottom of the phone. The design provides for an adapter which includes the analog left and right pins to implement connection to existing analog devices. One example of such an adapter is shown here:

http://ghaoui.com/blog/2012/08/possible-photo-of-ipad-mini-dock-connector-flex-cable-with-headphone-jack-at-bottom/

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2012, 05:18 PM

The details of Lightning have yet to come to light. In the keynote, direct reference was made to the feature allowing some of the digital pins to be application-configurable. Therefore, the 8-pin connector is really like a data bus and allows adapters of multiple types to be created: HDMI, SD card, etc. Just because Apple does not provide an HDMI adapter on day one, don't write it off. This is a highly flexible connection standard.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 13, 2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zanziboy View Post
The details of Lightning have yet to come to light. In the keynote, direct reference was made to the feature allowing some of the digital pins to be application-configurable. Therefore, the 8-pin connector is really like a data bus and allows adapters of multiple types to be created: HDMI, SD card, etc. Just because Apple does not provide an HDMI adapter on day one, don't write it off. This is a highly flexible connection standard.
What it means is, digital content will be locked down for good. SIMPLE stuff... just like HDCP

elroth
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2012, 08:08 PM

Close examination reveals the analog headphone jack is now located on the bottom of the phone. The design provides for an adapter which includes the analog left and right pins to implement connection to existing analog devices. One example of such an adapter is shown here:
http://ghaoui.com/blog/2012/08/possible-photo-of-ipad-mini-dock-connector-flex-cable-with-headphone-jack-at-bottom/
That's not comforting at all. The sound that comes out of the headphone jack is not acceptable for inputting into an audio system.

If you want decent audio to go into your car stereo, an iPod Classic may be the only answer. For your home stereo, there's the Airport Express or Airplay. The iPod Classic is what I use in my car - I really hope they don't stop making it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
What it means is, digital content will be locked down for good. SIMPLE stuff... just like HDCP
You haven't the *slightest* clue how digital audio works, have you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by elroth View Post
That's not comforting at all. The sound that comes out of the headphone jack is not acceptable for inputting into an audio system.

If you want decent audio to go into your car stereo, an iPod Classic may be the only answer. For your home stereo, there's the Airport Express or Airplay. The iPod Classic is what I use in my car - I really hope they don't stop making it.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.
There you go.

Any accessory makers will need to include a D/A converter, just as this adapter apparently does.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 14, 2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You haven't the *slightest* clue how digital audio works, have you.
yeah, sure please entertain for other's sake... I am sure fellow forum dwellers will want to learn about about how digital audio works (or not), just exclude me or I will have to flex some of my digital muscle. Ya don't want that seeee?

I will say, your assumption is over stepping my statement. All I'm saying is expect things to go digital to implement new/old CONTROLs over how the content is handshaked; if you paid attention, you'd realize that I am referring to DRM content.

Next time, get that knee checked. Hopefully, with your digital wit, you can pay for the exam. Just don't let it be a part of your setback.

Here's the math:

Lock + Digital = DRM

Your Welcome

TRRosen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2012, 12:39 PM

iPod out is a headend control system it has nothing to do with audio out.

The adapter has a d/a converter and does provide line out. End of story nothing to see here.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 01:57 PM

Also, Apple stopped offering DRM'ed audio years ago.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 14, 2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Also, Apple stopped offering DRM'ed audio years ago.
right, we are now in the digital video age, streaming etc will be the norm. Stop avoiding common sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules