Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" PB + 20 inch cinema display question

15" PB + 20 inch cinema display question
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 09:40 AM

I�m thinking of selling my dual and going with a 15� pb, my question is can I run my 20� cinema display off of the powerbook, would it make sense to do it, that is can the lid be closed and I run completely off the monitor or does the lid have to open and the cinema display mirrors the laptop. Slightly off topic, but if I decide to sell the cinema display should I bundle it with the Powermac or sell it separately, I want to maximize my profits.

By the way if anyone is interested in picking up a dual gig pm me.

Thanks
Mike

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
I�m thinking of selling my dual and going with a 15� pb, my question is can I run my 20� cinema display off of the powerbook, would it make sense to do it, that is can the lid be closed and I run completely off the monitor or does the lid have to open and the cinema display mirrors the laptop. Slightly off topic, but if I decide to sell the cinema display should I bundle it with the Powermac or sell it separately, I want to maximize my profits.

By the way if anyone is interested in picking up a dual gig pm me.

Thanks
Mike
The 15" Ti 1Ghz runs fine with the 20" so I imagine the new 15" Al will too. It can get pretty hot though!

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 05:28 PM

A Powerbook with a 20" LCD is a beautiful setup. Works really, really well, and being up to pluck up all of your work and carry it out the door is an obvious advantage...

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 05:48 PM

I am using a 20" Cinema with my 17PB in dual display mode. It's terrific, although I like having a separate keyboard and mouse, too.

You will need an adapter from Apple to run the display, which is ~$100.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 06:50 PM

Yup, I have the same Ti/20" setup, it rocks. I've got a Ti 667 DVI, and I can even play some games like MOH quite nicely.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 10:08 PM

Cool, thanks I didn't really want to sell the cinema display because it is awesome. I do want to downsize my computers and have portability also.

Now I need to setup a sellers account at ebay. I've got a couple of computers to sell.

Mike

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 03:51 AM

Is there anyway to display the output of the 15" directly onto the apple cinema display?

I don't like to mirror it, and yet, having the display of the laptop connected to the display of the 20" cinema isn't that helpful either.

for example, If I try to play "neverwinter nights", it'll show the game, full screen on the laptop, but nothing on the cinema display side! That's a huge waste....

HELP!

My guess here is that the .ini file for neverwinter nights would have to be modified to display onto the cinema display maybe? *shrugs*
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

bkatran
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 04:47 AM

youll need the adc adaptor

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 04:58 AM

Yes, I have that.

Is there any way to directly send the output of the 15" PB or any other compatible laptop directly to the Apple Cinema Display, instead of mirroring it or dualing that dual display thing? (which happens to not be preferable for this particular case).

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:
Yes, I have that.

Is there any way to directly send the output of the 15" PB or any other compatible laptop directly to the Apple Cinema Display, instead of mirroring it or dualing that dual display thing? (which happens to not be preferable for this particular case).
I'm guessing by this, you mean how to choose which monitor an application uses when it goes into fullscreen mode? Otherwise this question makes no sense... You basically have three options with a powerbook and an external display:
1. Mirroring (same thing shows on both displays)
2. Spanning (both displays are seperate and make a larger desktop space)
3. Closed lid-mode (the display on the powerbook is off, and the external display is the only display.)

Choosing which monitor something will full-screen to is completely application specific. In some programs (DVD Player and I believe QT Player works this way) the monitor that currently has the application window on it when you choose fullscreen will be taken over. In other programs (VLC comes to mind) there is a preference somewhere that you set to the number of the display you want the program to use. Can't help with NWN though, haven't played it on the Mac.. I am guessing it will fullscreen onto whichever display you have set as "primary" though, so you might try dragging the menu bar to the studio display in the "displays" preference pane. That will make your external monitor primary.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 01:21 PM

^ thank you for all that info! I'll have to try out that last part that you just mentioned.

Yes, I meant, how do you make an application specifically show up on one of the two displays. Some applications, you can't just drag the window from the desktop of the PB to the "other side" where the Apple Cinema Display is.

I found option #3 late last night....this works great except that you HAVE to have an external keyboard attached. This wouldn't be a problem except that I am selling my g4 quicksilver and won't have an external keyboard in a few weeks.

Does anybody know if there's an option #4 where you can force the output from the Laptop to show up, full screen, on the Cinema display, without doing a lid close?
That would save me the trouble of having to rely on an external keyboard (which I will have to go buy, or choose not to sell).

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:
Does anybody know if there's an option #4 where you can force the output from the Laptop to show up, full screen, on the Cinema display, without doing a lid close?
That would save me the trouble of having to rely on an external keyboard (which I will have to go buy, or choose not to sell).
The closest thing is going to be putting putting it into mirroring mode, then using F1 to turn the screen brightness all the way down (the backlight will turn off). I don't think that will work very well though as mirroring will default to the lowest resolution that either display supports, so now your external display will not be running in its native resolution.

A better solution (I do this sometimes) is just to use spanning mode, set the external to the primary display, and then either turn down the brightness on the laptop screen or just forget about it. Most of the time windows won't show up on the secondary display unless you drag them there.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 29, 2003, 07:43 PM

Geekwagon is mistaken -- it's not up to the application, generally.

Most applications will go full-screen onto the "main" screen, which is the one the menu bar is displayed on. This can be changed in the Displays prefs panel by dragging the little menu bar to the desired screen. (I guess this is your "option #4.) Apps that don't just go on the main screen will have their own way of selecting the screen to go full-screen on.

The OS X DVD player does not go full-screen on any screen the window is on -- it always goes full-screen on the main screen, and it won't allow you to drag the DVD window out of the main screen, even partially.

tooki

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 08:39 PM

^ thanks everyone. Looking forward to trying this as soon as I get back tonight.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 09:06 PM

This is my exact setup. I love it. Sometimes I do monitor spanning but most of the time the 20" has more than enough screen space for what I need so I just run the PB with the lid closed.

todrain
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 10:03 PM

I don't normally use my Laptop screen with the 20" hooked up. Already enough space!

You can put the laptop to sleep, hook up the 20, and hit the power button on the 20. It should wake the powerbook and then you can open the lid and use the built-in keyboard.

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Geekwagon is mistaken -- it's not up to the application, generally.

Most applications will go full-screen onto the "main" screen, which is the one the menu bar is displayed on. This can be changed in the Displays prefs panel by dragging the little menu bar to the desired screen. (I guess this is your "option #4.) Apps that don't just go on the main screen will have their own way of selecting the screen to go full-screen on.

The OS X DVD player does not go full-screen on any screen the window is on -- it always goes full-screen on the main screen, and it won't allow you to drag the DVD window out of the main screen, even partially.

tooki
I beg to differ, it is completely up to the application. Whether the application cares enough to override the default behavior is a completely different story though. This is obvious just by the very fact that there are applications that don't follow this rule, such as VLC.

The rest of your correction is basically just restating what I said in different wording (i.e. most applications will maximize to the main display.)

What you said about the DVD player is correct for Jag but not Panther.

BTW, I remembered earlier today that I saw this hint on macosxhints.com on how to use your internal mouse and keboard with a vga display: Link to hint

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 09:57 AM

would the same ideas and opinions hold true running a 20" apple display with the 12" pbook?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 03:28 PM

Absolutely - look at this

Originally posted by pwolfe1:
would the same ideas and opinions hold true running a 20" apple display with the 12" pbook?

Forum Links
Forum Rules