Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > U.S. Official: IAEA Stalling on Iran Nukes

U.S. Official: IAEA Stalling on Iran Nukes
dcolton
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 10:44 AM

If Iran has or is developing nukes, who do you think is going to resolve the situation? The UN? Israel? USA?

Let's look at it this way though...considering that this issue could lead to more war, wouoldn't the UN be obligated to quickly take action to avoid a war that could be catastrophic - especially if Iran does have nuclear weapons? I think this is the real test for the UN to prove it's relevance in the world. It has the opportunity to prevent catastrophic war by quickly implementing sanctions or by international military action.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132551,00.html

VIENNA, Austria � A U.S. official expressed alarm Thursday about a possible nuclear-weapons-related test site in Iran and accused the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency of keeping silent on its own concerns about the issue.

The official � a senior member of the U.S. delegation at the International Atomic Energy Agency's (search) board of governors � spoke as U.S and European negotiators moved closer to agreement to censure Iran for reneging on a freeze on uranium enrichment and setting a deadline for Tehran to dispel suspicions it is trying to make nuclear arms.

The official, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said the United States was suspicious that Iran's Parchin complex (search), southeast of the capital, Tehran, is being used by the Islamic Republic to test high explosives, possibly with applications to nuclear weapons.

"This is a serious omission," on the part of IAEA director general Mohamed ElBaradei (search), said the official, alluding to the lack of specific mention on Parchin in a report written for the board by ElBaradei on the status of a probe into Iran's nuclear activities.

The official said the United States would "go to the other board members" and make sure the suspicious site is considered in any Iran resolution submitted to the board meeting.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:27 AM

If Iran has nuclear weapons there is nothing that can be done about them. MAD and all. They won't be bothered again by the US or Israel. No-one else is breathing down their neck anyway.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
If Iran has nuclear weapons there is nothing that can be done about them. MAD and all. They won't be bothered again by the US or Israel. No-one else is breathing down their neck anyway.
Maybe not directly, through military invasion, but a lot can be done covertly, or by simply overtly encouraging democratic reform.

Nuclear weapons didn't keep the Communists in the Kremlin.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Maybe not directly, through military invasion, but a lot can be done covertly, or by simply overtly encouraging democratic reform.

That was my point yes.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:

I don't think a handfull of nuclear weapons is a deterrent, especially if we know where they are. Israel or the United States could effectively dismantle any nuclear program with a series of air raids before Iran could deploy it's nuclear weapons.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by dcolton:
I don't think a handfull of nuclear weapons is a deterrent, especially if we know where they are. Israel or the United States could effectively dismantle any nuclear program with a series of air raids before Iran could deploy it's nuclear weapons.
I hear this guy is up for the job

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 11:57 AM

If Iran has or is developing nukes, who do you think is going to resolve the situation? The UN? Israel? USA?
Israel and the USA ARE the UN ... together with a few few dozen other countries.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
Israel and the USA ARE the UN ... together with a few few dozen other countries.
No, the UN is comprised of a bunch of nations who want to spend their time denouncing Israel and the US while they allow genocide in Sudan.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 12:15 PM

If Iran has or is developing nukes, who do you think is going to resolve the situation?
What is the issue?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 12:16 PM

I don't think a handfull of nuclear weapons is a deterrent, especially if we know where they are.
You mean like you knew where Iraq's nuclear weapons were?

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
What is the issue?
A terrorist state with nuclear weapon...that is the issue. I realize you think you are safe from terrorism and their attacks in Canada by keeping your head in the sand...but the day will come when the dogs start to bite the hand of the nation that harbours them.

You mean like you knew where Iraq's nuclear weapons were?
Sure, why not.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:36 PM

If Iran does actually have nukes, the US government will definitely NOT be invading any time soon.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 12:37 PM

The US gov might not have to.

zen jihad
Sep 16, 2004, 12:40 PM

I say let then have nukes, If Israel is allowed to maintain stockpiles of nuclear weapins, then why not Iran? Is this latest outbrust by the US just more scare-mongering to hurry along the process of invadng Iran? I bet Israel is nicely whispering into the ears of Bush as we speak.

Iran has every right to develop self-defence weapons. If the /IAEA is useless and ineffective at getting Israel to halt all nuclear weapins plans, then why should Iran be forced to give up the game so easily.

Just US posturing before that pre-emptive strike to, em, liberate the Iranians.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:48 PM

No country on this earth should have nukes, that includes the US and Israel and every other nation that is developing them or has them already.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
No country on this earth should have nukes, that includes the US and Israel and every other nation that is developing them or has them already.
I agree. But when we have people like the Palestinian terrorists on this earth, we need something to keep them in check.

What they world doesn't need, is people like that. Maybe if we get rid of people like that, we wouldn't need nukes.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Nukes to keep Palestinians in check?

Ease down on the coffee son.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 12:57 PM

Oh they would have gotten help from other countries if Israel didn't have nukes.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 12:59 PM

[B]***/B]
last I checked the Palestinians lived in and besides Israel.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 01:18 PM

Yeah you are correct. As we know, they aren't willing to kill themselves to get rid of the jooooz..
Oh wait..

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 01:18 PM

If Iran does actually have nukes, the US government will definitely NOT be invading any time soon.
Why would you think that? If Iran has nukes, they wouldn't have the ability to launch the against the US and if they wanted to get cute and launch them against Israel, they would essentially wipe out Jews and Arabs alike. If you ask me, it may be worth the risk to try you disable the weapons via a MASSIVE airstrike. I am not worried about Iran having nuclear weapons, I worry about terrorists seizing those weapons and the materials...or Iran selling the material.

In other words, to remain consistent with my racist tendencies...I don't trust any Islamic nation with nuclear weapons.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 01:26 PM

In other words, to remain consistent with my racist tendencies......
Well at least that's out in the open now.

*click*

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 01:27 PM

All of themselves? Hardly.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 01:27 PM

Yall really think that Iran would keep the nukes to themselves??? Iran would sell/give them to ever other single country(including terrorists) in that area. This is the real reason why we don't want Iran to have nukes.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 01:28 PM

It really has nothing to do with race, but their history and actions.

dcolton  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 01:35 PM

Well at least that's out in the open now.

*click*
What does the *click* mean?

BTW...I am more than happy to play the part delegated to me. It makes it much easier and less time consuming. Now, instead of having to try to be politically correct and hear all of the accusations, I can just play the role and take away knee jerk responses where the output is usually finger pointing and name calling.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 01:37 PM

It's only a matter of time before somebody bombs them I hope.

I don't trust the UN, and I certainly do not trust the IAEA.

Islamic terrorist countries = Never to be trusted with nukes - Can't trust those types, it is simple common sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules