Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it just me, or has this place gotten alot dumber over the past couple years?

Is it just me, or has this place gotten alot dumber over the past couple years? (Page 2)
lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

that was a Zaphod quote I made. I just thought it was funny.
I knew it was a quote from somewhere, but I just had to get that in.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 01:38 PM

An illustrated explaination of the moral here:

http://www.hi.is/~uni/derrick.jpg

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

dencamp
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 02:05 PM

A lot of the folks that were able to difuse the silly agit-prop have moved on. Being funny was replaced by being right as the reson d'etre. Thus, no more recipes, fewer photoshop contests, no damning of billionaires for their rugged good looks, no let's draw what we think others might look like threads.

I wouldn't say dumber as much as I would say sadly lacking humor and invention.
( Last edited by dencamp; Sep 16, 2004 at 02:16 PM. )

Two steps forward (six steps back)

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 02:06 PM

It's not only this message board. It's every board. Perhaps some children should be left behind?
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by chris v:

My attempt to get people talking about why we come back to the lounge just decscended into a bicker-fest about typos

I've been visiting these forums for a few years. The lounge was more fun before any political debate was moved to a separate forum - surely that could only have the effect of 'dumbing down' the remaining lounge?

I've never played a great part in any of the political debates, but to divide political conversation and other conversation seems unnatural, maybe even unhealthy?

Moderators, don't politics affect us all and play a part in almost every aspect of our lives? Why not see the lounge separation as an experiment and merge the two back together?

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by OB1:

I've been visiting these forums for a few years. The lounge was more fun before any political debate was moved to a separate forum - surely that could only have the effect of 'dumbing down' the remaining lounge?

I've never played a great part in any of the political debates, but to divide political conversation and other conversation seems unnatural, maybe even unhealthy?

Moderators, don't politics affect us all and play a part in almost every aspect of our lives? Why not see the lounge separation as an experiment and merge the two back together?
The amount of topics that exist and are created in the Politics lounge daily is huge. It would engulf the lounge if they were merged again. Also, given the state of discussion in there at the moment, you wouldn't really be adding any more intellectual discussion to the lounge - you'd reduce it further.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
The amount of topics that exist and are created in the Politics lounge daily is huge.
Yes and most of them are redundant. That is why some restraint should be shown.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 02:52 PM

The amount of topics that exist and are created in the Politics lounge daily is huge. It would engulf the lounge if they were merged again. Also, given the state of discussion in there at the moment, you wouldn't really be adding any more intellectual discussion to the lounge - you'd reduce it further.
I'm inclined to agree on that score.

Whichever way the election goes, there will be massive accusation of fraud on either side, and it will never be proven true or false. Given this, perhaps we should wait until March or so before we even think of re-merging. Maybe by then the hype will have died down.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Whichever way the election goes, there will be massive accusation of fraud on either side, and it will never be proven true or false.
Being fair Mill, only one side has ever done said thing.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 03:03 PM

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 03:05 PM

[ x ] yes, this place is measurably dumber
[....] no, this place smacks constantly of Enlightenment
[....] do you wear socks?

yukon
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 03:05 PM

Actually, I'll agree. I find myself lately, on this site mainly, closing half and fully written posts. After writing them, I'll realize all I'm doing is adding to the information a bit, maybe expressing an opinion, and all I'll get in return (instead of more information on the topic) is someone arguing with me and trying to contradict me with no information. Now, that's fine when I don't know the subject well, but if it's something I've done and know, I'll get pissed off.

It's a wonder if I've actually posted this, in the lounge no less.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Timo:

[X] do you wear socks?
But NOT with sandals!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 03:23 PM

::looks down::

But NOT with sandals!

chris_h  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
IIRC
It doesn't sound like you do at all. I challenge you to a duel.

But anyway, this place is like naked pictures of my ex-girlfriend. Sure I'll go back and look at them from time to time, but they're really only a reminder of a good thing I once had.

And she had big cans.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by chris_h:

And she had big cans.
Link, plz

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 03:47 PM

Link, plz
not work safe

Jaey
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
not work safe

I wanted some real.. nevermind

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Those are nice cans you weren't kidding.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 04:38 PM

I don't know if "dumber" is the right word, but the level of discourse has slowly but surely degraded.

Not that it was ever terribly high, but there was a brief period when even the hotly contested topics contained real substance and not just mindless invective.

In Information Theory terms, the SNR (signal to noise) ratio is much lower than it once was. I highly recommend using the Ignore feaure to filter some of the noise. Some people's posts NEVER contain information and can be safely eliminated to increase informational clarity.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Gemini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 04:41 PM

I would honestly blame one person for the increase in idiocy. We all know who it is, so I won't say the name. But when people with very combative personalities, strong opinions, and minimal intellectual effort feel a need to visit every single interesting thread, it's only natural for the place to degenerate.

The mods have been told many times, and no one wants to be the one to pull the trigger. So ol' yellar will continue foaming at the mouth and into the Lounge.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
I don't know if "dumber" is the right word, but the level of discourse has slowly but surely degraded.

Not that it was ever terribly high, but there was a brief period when even the hotly contested topics contained real substance and not just mindless invective.

In Information Theory terms, the SNR (signal to noise) ratio is much lower than it once was. I highly recommend using the Ignore feaure to filter some of the noise. Some people's posts NEVER contain information and can be safely eliminated to increase informational clarity.

And I'm sooo glad you're back posting now!

jcadam
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 04:52 PM

Just look at the list of who's gone missing in that span of time. The memory hole has swallowed alot of the names, but dig through the archives, and you'll find a zillion intelligent posts from people who really don't darken the door any more.

My attempt to get people talking about why we come back to the lounge just decscended into a bicker-fest about typos (even though I pointed out that the one typo had been intentional, as in ironic mis-use) without a single person addressing the topic whatsoever. I requested it locked after six hours.

As to the BBQ, sure, it had some asnine content, (asnine can be fun-- this is just the inartweb after all) but it also had some really intelligent conversation, real comraderie, and with the exception of one or two members, rarely if ever descended into the bicker-fests that nearly every thread here becomes within six posts. It may be gone, but I made some real, actual life friends there, several of whom I'll be flying to meet this weekend.
Holy jeez, I only came back to post on MacNN regularly after I found myself unable to connect to the BBQ for nearly a month.

Maybe I'm stupid, but, what happened to the BBQ?
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

zen jihad
Sep 16, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Yes, threads like this one bring the intelligence level down a bit in there.

You're just jealous that I managed to post something that you couldn't understand. I must say though, your post on the monkey blowing another one really raised the intelligence barrier.

But what do you expect when you're only a gas pump attendant zimwhore?
( Last edited by zen jihad; Sep 16, 2004 at 05:01 PM. )

zen jihad
Sep 16, 2004, 04:53 PM

Being fair Mill, only one side has ever done said thing.
I gotta say, but you really do excel at screwing up the English language.

Gemini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 04:57 PM

Yes, threads like this one bring the intelligence level down...
Originally posted by zen jihad:
You're just jealous that I managed to post something that you couldn't understand...

Yes. Thank you for demonstrating my point, exactly.

Zim, you have a little something bubbling up in the corner of your mouth...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by jcadam:

Maybe I'm stupid, but, what happened to the BBQ?
Somebody forgot to pay the hosting bill for about a year, right about the same time the hosting company forgot to mail the hosting bill for about a year. But legally, guess which side was to blame on that one? It's all still there on a hard drive, somewhere...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Gemini:
I would honestly blame one person for the increase in idiocy. We all know who it is, so I won't say the name. But when people with very combative personalities, strong opinions, and minimal intellectual effort feel a need to visit every single interesting thread, it's only natural for the place to degenerate.

The mods have been told many times, and no one wants to be the one to pull the trigger. So ol' yellar will continue foaming at the mouth and into the Lounge.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 05:34 PM

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, chris_h, so post what you think is good stuff and show those 14-year-olds and Republicans the way of the master.

Also, it would be really nice if every other thread in the Lounge didn't descend into a Plus One-a-thon. This just serves to recycle garbage up to the top of the thread list, displacing other threads that might be more substantive.

Finally, it's useless to lament the good ol' days. Things change. Things might even change for the better. Maybe the influx of 14-year-olds means a whole new generation is taking up the Mac.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 05:34 PM

Somebody forgot to pay the hosting bill for about a year, right about the same time the hosting company forgot to mail the hosting bill for about a year. But legally, guess which side was to blame on that one? It's all still there on a hard drive, somewhere...
And that stupid wench they have handling the billing still hasn't gotten back to me.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

dencamp
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 05:36 PM

And I'm sooo glad you're back posting now!

Now if we could get Dai and Max back, Phil, boots and timo posting more, then perhaps that signal might just pick up strength.

Now I realize that I have no right to hope for a return to some NN edenic past since I have basically lurked here for 5 years, but I liked the fact that this place used to buck the internet trend of "if I don't see them, I can be as creul and sensless as I want." I like the ribbing and sarcasm of siblings, not the ridiculously polemic insults.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by zen jihad:
You're just jealous that I managed to post something that you couldn't understand.

Yes.. I left my tin-foil hate at work.

I must say though, your post on the monkey blowing another one really raised the intelligence barrier.

It was humorous. People laughed. It wasn't mean to be taken seriously like you wanted your thread to be.

But what do you expect when you're only a gas pump attendant zimwhore?
LAWL! I see you still haven't caught back up with reality.

Where in the world did you get that silliness from?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Gemini:
Yes. Thank you for demonstrating my point, exactly.

Zim, you have a little something bubbling up in the corner of your mouth...
And these last two posts I just quoted a PERFECT examples how this place has gotten dumber.

Full of Jr Highish personal attacks. Usually coming from the same people.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Sep 16, 2004 at 06:18 PM. )

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 06:16 PM

i have gotten alot dumber since i started posting here, when i first signed up i was all about learning things and finding new mac related things. now all i seem to do is post in the lounge, in the beginning i rarely posted in the lounge. usually if i come across a thread and someone starts flaming or acting a fool i just click out of the thread. i do notice alot more a-holes and worthless threads...but i probably add to that also

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 06:18 PM

You know zimphire sometime's its easier to argue with people on their own level, so stop taking the high road we wnt a flame fest, its what should have happened on this thread hours ago.
btw I take it you like the matrix.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
And that stupid wench they have handling the billing still hasn't gotten back to me.
Teh DUDE! Misanthrope

I didn't KNOW!!

I was wondering where you were!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
You know zimphire sometime's its easier to argue with people on their own level,

Everyone goes to that level sometimes. Some people in here stay and reside there. I myself refuse to stoop to that level.

btw I take it you like the matrix.
What makes you think that?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 06:29 PM

Cuz you're locations is 'Zion'

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2004, 06:31 PM

I have the impression that some people (including myself) don't get into too much of the discussion as many threads are derailed quicker than you can say anticonstitutionellement.

Arguing with some people is like trying to catch eels, I enjoy the comments of a few people, though. Very few
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 06:40 PM

And these last two posts I just quoted a PERFECT examples how this place has gotten dumber.
Full of Jr Highish personal attacks. Usually coming from the same people.
What would you call this?:

posted by Zimphire:
I have no stake in this, but I'd point out that your ubiquitous arsenal of JPGs and animated GIFs are really quite sophomoric, let alone "Jr. Highish".

You revel in belittling people, and whether you are right or wrong on a given issue is beside the point.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 06:42 PM

originaly posted by zimphire
What makes you think that?
Location=zion

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 06:45 PM

Hm.

The thread bemoaning what's happened to this Forum is now an example of what's happened to this Forum.

Here's to hoping that people notice the obvious object lesson to be learned here today and begin exercising their right to Ignore those that would perpetuate the same endless cycle of stupidity.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Hm.

The thread bemoaning what's happened to this Forum is now an example of what's happened to this Forum.

Here's to hoping that people notice the obvious object lesson to be learned here today and begin exercising their right to Ignore those that would perpetuate the same endless cycle of stupidity.
A lesson in two parts, funker: sure teh ignore filters out the noise, but let me tell you, there hasn't been much signal left over.
[/fogie]

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Cuz you're locations is 'Zion'
Because Zion was invented by the two brothers that wrote the Matrix.

I never got into those movies that much.
Originally posted by Bluesky:
I have no stake in this, but I'd point out that your ubiquitous arsenal of JPGs and animated GIFs are really quite sophomoric, let alone "Jr. Highish".

You revel in belittling people, and whether you are right or wrong on a given issue is beside the point.
Yes, I use animated smileys.

The two are not comparable. Animated gifs are not frowned on by MacNN.

Personally attacking someone and calling them names however is.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 07:00 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and post in this thread.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I'm gonna go ahead and post in this thread.
Great, now it smells like tuna salad.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 07:02 PM

It hasn't gotten worse, it's always been crap. It's just a kind of "good old days" syndrome. Every few months in the years I've been here, someone posts a thread saying it's gotten worse.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Great, now it smells like tuna salad.
I actually had some today. Sup?

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I actually had some today. Sup?
I can see you now.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 07:14 PM

This thread is so about Tuna Salad, now. Thanks, Fad!

I will add one thing-- if you all don't want to get into flame wars with Zimmy, STOP CALLING HIM OUT, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Forum Links
Forum Rules