Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > An Open Letter To MacNN Administration and ALL Posters!

An Open Letter To MacNN Administration and ALL Posters! (Page 2)
Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
sweet, i'll finally be able to hand these out:

Can I be a deputy?

eklipse
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Foreign Agents are Unduly Influencing the American Electoral Process on These Pages.
Seek help. Fast.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 03:27 PM

in a nation of nearly 300 million, foreign nations attempt to influence the outcome of government election by directing offensive intelligence assets to computer forum frequented by fans of a minority computer OS.

I hope you're being sarcastic, cause if not, you've got issues dude

BTW thats London UK

I'm a foreigner!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 03:33 PM

Just to let people know, there WAS an intended bit of facetiousness in aberdeenwriter's initial post.

Do any of you remember his first post? The story about the dog being shot? It was very tongue in cheek and was hilarious.

But, like all things that are facetious, it had a bit of truth in it. He was merely trying to say, "Why not tell people which country you are from?"

I thought the same thing.

But instead of saying, "Where are you from?" I just said, "Which languages do you speak?" Many of you posting there divulged that information without giving it a second thought.

constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by moodymonster:
in a nation of nearly 300 million, foreign nations attempt to influence the outcome of government election by directing offensive intelligence assets to computer forum frequented by fans of a minority computer OS.
LOL

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Just to let people know, there WAS an intended bit of facetiousness in aberdeenwriter's initial post.

Do any of you remember his first post? The story about the dog being shot? It was very tongue in cheek and was hilarious.

But, like all things that are facetious, it had a bit of truth in it. He was merely trying to say, "Why not tell people which country you are from?"
It sounded like he was trying to say a LOT more. Especially since a lot of the people he seems to have a beef with actually have their location filled in.

It's okay, though - nice to see you backpedalling for him.

constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 03:44 PM

I thought the same thing.

But instead of saying, "Where are you from?" I just said, "Which languages do you speak?" Many of you posting there divulged that information without giving it a second thought.

Facetiousness or not, what's most alarming is that his drivel starting this thread is little different from the quasi-insane stuff you find in almost all of his posts. Joke or not here, the joke is really on him.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 03:53 PM

Hiya constrictor!

Honestly, don't WE all sound a little strange from time to time?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 03:55 PM

Hiya constrictor!

Honestly, don't WE all sound a little strange from time to time?
YOU do.

Honestly.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 03:56 PM

Just to let people know, there WAS an intended bit of facetiousness in aberdeenwriter's initial post....
What are you, his press-secretary?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 03:58 PM

Really.

Aberdeen: "FRGGRFVO#$%QTBMQ##$!!!!!!!!"

Cody: "Let me clarify that..."

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:03 PM

You have to give aberdeenwriter a little credit; he likes to stick his neck out, even at the risk of getting his head cut off.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Really.

Aberdeen: "FRGGRFVO#$%QTBMQ##$!!!!!!!!"

Cody: "Let me clarify that..."
Anyone would think they're married.....

constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
After his freak-out over a fictitious quote that he believed I attributed specifically to her, he has to be in her pants somehow. He's UNFIT for command....or something.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
You have to give aberdeenwriter a little credit; he likes to stick his neck out, even at the risk of getting his head cut off.
Do you know if he's heading for Iraq to support the troops in any way?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:09 PM

A press secretary?

I don't even know how to type...no secretary jobs around here!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:10 PM

Me, married?

NO WAY!

Sorry. Do NOT advance to GO!

constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 04:13 PM

Me, married?

NO WAY!

Sorry. Do NOT advance to GO!

I knew your closeted liberal nature would unearth eventually. How could you forsake the holy union of marriage? Is God's blessed, wonderful gift somehow beneath you? Are you gay? Are you some sort of atheist pig? A terrorist? AAAAAAARRHRRHRHRGRGRGRGRGG!!!!!!!!!

We now return to your regularly scheduled nonsense.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:14 PM

I'm a DAWG!

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 04:17 PM

I'm a DAWG!

But I thought you were a woman.

So doesn't that make you a bitch?

zen jihad
Oct 4, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
It does matter to me, with regards to discussing the U.S. gov't. If the person isn't a US citizen, and they're critical of our president and policies, I take it with a grain of salt (mostly). Currently, I'm just ignoring political posts made by people who have left their location blank (or if they just have some silly BS written in) unless I happen to know where they're from by some other means.
Just quoting this for posterity's sake when you plod your way through topics discussing Israel, Iraq, Iran, Muslim countries, etc. Nice to know I can take any of your thoughts on Israel wth a pinch of salt, a large one at that.

The irony is amazing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 04:18 PM

But I thought you were a woman.

So doesn't that make you a bitch?

<cue aberdeenwriter - death threats>

zen jihad
Oct 4, 2004, 04:22 PM

I doubt you'd find many US Government agents in MacNN, but I'm sure they'd pounce down on people f certain words are said, in a certain arrangement

In any case, the likes of the CIA do monitor certain websites, and some ae very vocal about it. For instance, I'm an admin on one of the biggest conspiracy sites out there and our logs are full of Government agencies logging in. We even have members who are open about the fact, one in point I became friends with who works at the CIA, we even had coffee not long ago. So, even though our site is fairly benign, it does cover topics that will raise eyebrows, and thus draw Government types, but they're usually quite open about it.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:26 PM

LBK: Maybe you "thought" wrong?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 04:41 PM

LBK: Maybe you "thought" wrong?

maybe she didn't?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2004, 04:53 PM

I am shocked that you would imply that there is some kind of offline connection between Cody Dawg and aberdeenwriter! Just because they seem to support each other at every turn, have a lot of the same ideas and personality traits, and... where was I going with this again?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 05:03 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 05:17 PM

You're about as funny as Windows 95.

constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
You're about as funny as Windows 95.
Come on now, Spheric. I know we're all Mac users here, but need you insult Windows so?

Solomon Grundy
Oct 4, 2004, 06:19 PM

So do you think aberdeen will post again after the magnificence in this thread?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Solomon Grundy:
So do you think aberdeen will post again after the magnificence in this thread?
Mebbe.

I HAVE enjoyed the jokes. I'm waiting to see if there will be anything REALLY inspired! I think zen jihad's comments are particularly interesting. But no one will answer him? Shame on ya'll!

Thanks, Cody & MacnStein. Go ahead, discuss it, joke some more and then I'll comment.

Thanks.

BTW, Solomon Grundy, your question as to whether people would dis your comments if they knew you were from Syria or Iran is ALSO very much worthy of comment.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

zen jihad
Oct 4, 2004, 07:07 PM

Personally speaking, I think certain people from other nations have the roght to discuss, coment and involve themselves in American politics. Especially if they come from countries which are being attacked, invaded, 'liberated', or generally manipulated by the US. If I was an Iraqi, I'd do what I could to manipulate the electoral (legally) or make my point. Because to the Iraqi, Iraq has become an extension of the US, it's foreign policy, and as such, many Iraqis who think the US is the enemy involving themselves in their nation, then why shouln't the poor Iraqi have his say?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by zen jihad:
Personally speaking, I think certain people from other nations have the roght to discuss, coment and involve themselves in American politics. Especially if they come from countries which are being attacked, invaded, 'liberated', or generally manipulated by the US. If I was an Iraqi, I'd do what I could to manipulate the electoral (legally) or make my point. Because to the Iraqi, Iraq has become an extension of the US, it's foreign policy, and as such, many Iraqis who think the US is the enemy involving themselves in their nation, then why shouln't the poor Iraqi have his say?
Zen, I respect that you have pride in your orientation and allegiances and speak up for your cause(s), whatever they may be. No problem in my book. You aren't hiding anything from the posters in that regard.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
[
Awesome! Chicks w/berets and shady Russian dealings, all eclipsed by the nefarious burning of bugs using the concentrated rays of the sun!

mwuahahahah sign me up.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 07:23 PM

Zen, I respect that you have pride in your orientation and allegiances and speak up for your cause(s), whatever they may be. No problem in my book. You aren't hiding anything from the posters in that regard.
That goes for just about everybody on this board, mind you.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
That goes for just about everybody on this board, mind you.
Just about.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 07:33 PM

Just about.
In which case, I utterly fail to see the point of this thread.

I think you're backpedalling so fast that I'm just too lazy to try and keep up.

Send me a postcard when you get wherever you're going (Florida, eh?).

-s*

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 07:36 PM

Aberdeenwriter, you flatter me. To say that little me is affecting US elections is really one of the greatest compliments you could have given me. I will sleep well tonight.

Of course, you labelled me a foreign agent a few days ago already before you even knew that I exhibited the tell-tale signs of an agent; namely having a law degree (shock, horror) AND, evil of eeeveeeel I speak Afrikaans. I believe it was in this thread. Ah yes, there it is:
I think it should be noted from here on that in my book, YOU are a FOREIGN AGENT.
Let it be known that if I were a foreign agent, I'd have far better things to do than respond to this sort of drivel. I mean I'd have hot Russian agents with guns in their knickers to sort out ... or something.

Anyway, my dilly little friend, I hope the drugs kick in soon and wish you a speedy recovery.

FYI, my current location is 34.13584, -118.30063, but I will be somewhere around 48.86667, 2.33333 sometime around 08h00 GMT on Wednesday.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 07:39 PM

This does remind me of a little personal dilemma I'm facing at the moment.

A friend's spouse is a foreigner. Nothing wrong with that He's been living here 4 years or so.
He has become very interested in American politics of late, attending the marches when the Republication convention was in town, cheering and booing at get-togethers watching the debate, etc.
Again, nothing wrong with caring about the goings on in an influential country (I care about what Putin's doing in Russia, for instance). And he does live here.
But he expresses something between disinterest and disdain at the idea of U.S. citizenship. Which inspires a feeling in me that he should either put up or shut up, i.e. if he cares that much about our politics, he should VOTE, and not just make noise.

My feelings about this are compounded by the fact that he's both arrogant and stupid. But let's set that aside. How should I handle my own irritation at him over this issue?

Thoughts?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 07:52 PM

What is there to discuss?

Obviously there a more than a few pseudo-intellectuals here who belong to the MacNN mutual admiration club and have closed minds -- and like that way.

What is funny is how you all run around like rats in a cage and -- as if on cue like trained rats are -- automatically start posting insults.

Well done, aberdeenwriter! Your character and behavior predictions for some of these people are right on cue.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
... he expresses something between disinterest and disdain at the idea of U.S. citizenship. Which inspires a feeling in me that he should either put up or shut up, i.e. if he cares that much about our politics, he should VOTE, and not just make noise ...
American politics affect more than just Americans

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 08:06 PM

Someone set up us the bomb

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:08 PM

That's true, Mithras.

Some people here do not agree with certain things said and it's okay to take a poke or jab at someone in the spirit of humor, but to be downright mean is just another example of what is going on in Iraq: Hating people just because certain people like to hate.

Pretty sad.

On the other hand, other people post here and have some of the most intelligent commentaries I've heard (or read) and it's interesting to share their perspectives with them.

Those are the people that I admire even if I don't agree with them.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
This does remind me of a little personal dilemma I'm facing at the moment.

A friend's spouse is a foreigner. Nothing wrong with that He's been living here 4 years or so.
He has become very interested in American politics of late, attending the marches when the Republication convention was in town, cheering and booing at get-togethers watching the debate, etc.
Again, nothing wrong with caring about the goings on in an influential country (I care about what Putin's doing in Russia, for instance). And he does live here.
But he expresses something between disinterest and disdain at the idea of U.S. citizenship. Which inspires a feeling in me that he should either put up or shut up, i.e. if he cares that much about our politics, he should VOTE, and not just make noise.

My feelings about this are compounded by the fact that he's both arrogant and stupid. But let's set that aside. How should I handle my own irritation at him over this issue?

Thoughts?
That issue has a different set of dynamics, I think.

The friend's spouse has an accent? Then, any voters he might attempt to influence will recognize he MAY have different considerations (or interests) than a citizen.

A swing voter might ask themselves, "why does this person from (NAME OF COUNTRY) support Bush or Kerry or Nader or whomever?" With that knowledge made clear, the voter can, as they say, 'consider the source' and make up their minds as they will.

If he's CANADIAN, (almost an American accent) then we have a problem.

In your case of being irritated with this person's unwillingness to secure citizenship and his very active political involvement, I'd suggest you try to ignore it/him.

Did you think that situation was the same as what this thread is about?

constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 08:19 PM

The friend's spouse has an accent? Then, any voters he might attempt to influence will recognize he MAY have different considerations (or interests) than a citizen.
Because as we all know, this country doesn't allow people with accents to have citizenship, even if they were born here. In fact, the only politically acceptable accent is a southern accent.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
American politics affect more than just Americans
I agree. And the more voices heard, the better.

But, there are some who really don't have the US' best interests at heart. There are some people who have an agenda which reflects the geo-political pov of THEIR native land. I think it would be helpful to anyone reading their posts to have a clue to those individuals' orientation in SOME way.

Zen jihad, logic and LBK (as well as others) have made no secret of their political interests and we all should respect that
even as we debate their views and assertions.

Being that this forum is online, we are denied the crucial cues normally gained in a face to face.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 08:30 PM

Just wanted to be a part of thread history.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by constrictor:
Because as we all know, this country doesn't allow people with accents to have citizenship, even if they were born here. In fact, the only politically acceptable accent is a southern accent.
Three of my former brothers in law were from different countries (Colombia & Germany). Hans gained citizenship and swore allegiance. He worked at becoming a citizen and was damn proud of it and when he talked politics he bragged about his status. You could tell he loved America and appreciated America's greatness.

Quite different from Jose, who only had a green card and was involved in nefarious activities and hated the candidates who were tough on crime.

Very different agendas.

constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 08:33 PM

Three of my former brothers in law were from different countries (Colombia & Germany). Hans gained citizenship and swore allegiance. He worked at becoming a citizen and was damn proud of it and when he talked politics he bragged about his status. You could tell he loved America and appreciated America's greatness.

Quite different from Jose, who only had a green card and was involved in nefarious activities and hated the candidates who were tough on crime.

Very different agendas.
Since you miss most every point, I'll just tell you: I, as well as many others on this board, I'm sure, find your general outlook on accents telling.

But seriously, guys, what about POLAND?

y0y0
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 08:33 PM

Fu�k, I almost pissed in my pants laughing at the original post. Whichever way you lay it out, it's pure urinated comedy Either aberdeenwriter was joking, in which case it was pretty hilarious, or he was serious, in which case it was even more hilarious.

If he WAS serious, this has to be the most insane paranoid post I've ever seen on this board with the possible exception of dear old dhinkel's manic attempt to get Steve Jobs arrested for being the child of a foreigner.

Also, if he was serious, the I suggest that he think carefully about what he says, since he serious problems. In order to help the poor fellow along, I'll point this out: There is a very good reason why so many people from foreign countries are interested in the US elections, and that is because, since aberdeenwriter hasn't noticed, the US is a superpower, as as such has a huge influence on the rest of the world. That is the reason why all those foreign agents have a vested interest in these elections. Those who support the US' foreign policies (It's ok, Tony, you can come out now) will want to see Bush reelected, and those who don't (I'm sorry, the server has just crashed due to the sheer mass of queries) will want to see Kerry elected.

To put it bluntly, aberdeenwriter, no one gives a fu�k about the MacNN pol lounge. It's viewed by the vast majority of MacNNer's, who form a minority of the Mac community itself and a tiny speck in the general computing landscape in general, as a kind of childrens' sandbox, where children can piss in the sand and not wet any carpets.

Cody dawg: Your comment about a group of intellectual self admirers was piss poor. It only shows that you fear people with more intellect than yours. Go to classes and learn something instead of playing with the pelicans. It'd do you good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules