Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express

Airport Express
jmault
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2006, 03:01 AM

So I set up my Express tonight and everything was working AMAZING!!! I shut my computer and went and got in the shower, and when I came back and opened it up it wasn't working. It showed a solid green light but my network was not appearing nor was I getting any signal. I changed the privacy so that it wouldn't show up on other peoples "wireless options," might this have an impact? Do I have to go back and reset again now? Also, since I disconnected the ethernet cord from the Express do I have to go back and do everything again once I plug it back in? Do anyone have an idea what the problem may be? I have also tried simply to join a secured network by typing in my networks name and password and nothing happens it just says there was an error connecting to my wireless. Do anyone know where I went wrong?
Thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2006, 07:54 AM

You should be able to access the Express box through the same utility you set it up with originally once you plug the ethernet cable into it. You should not have to go through the whole process again, either.

It sounds like when you set the Express to not show up in other's wireless options, you did not also tell your computer to connect to your network by default. The setting that keeps yours from showing up for other people simply turns off a function that broadcasts your network name (called the "SSID"), so other people don't see it. This is not a real security feature, by the way; setting up WPA with a decent passphrase is exceptionally good security that's easy to do, while hiding your network is like throwing a sheet over an elephant...

So anyway, I'd turn the network name broadcast back on and see how things work for you. If other people see your network (and you've set up WPA on it) it will be their problem. People who might want to look for networks can use software that will find it whether you broadcast its name or not.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules