Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Massive Upgrading

Massive Upgrading
Bubba Jones
Jan 19, 2001, 03:46 PM

Well, no new powerbook for me, so i've got money to burn. I have a stock 8600/250 w/96 megs of RAM. I want to upgrade the whole kit and kaboodle. is that how you spell kaboodle? Need new processor, new video card, and probably new hard drive.

Now i am not a big FPS freak so insane 3d card is probably not needed. I also know that it would probably be cheaper to just get a new G4, but this was my first mac. Sentimental value and all that. I basically want to soup this baby up so it can sort of compete with my pismo.

What will i use it for, basic stuff. Surfing, some basic gaming over my house LAN, some monkey video compressing. I just want to get it up to speed. I could say money is no option, but i won't. I am willing to spend, but not insanely.

The two other things i have thought of are getting an USB/FW PCI card, and possibly getting a DVD drive. My stock CD-ROM has been on it's last leg for a while now.

I know this is alot, but can anyone dump a bunch of info and/or recomendatiosn on me. Many thanks in advance.

SpinyNorman
Jan 19, 2001, 04:19 PM

This sounds like a big mistake. It's one thing to upgrade over time, as your needs dictate (not necessarily wiser, but less-premeditated). If you're planning on blowing a wad on this machine in one fell swoop, it's money down the drain. You can definitely get a B&W G3 for the price of what this will cost you (you're looking at at least $600 -- let's not forget more RAM) and end up with a better product overall. Hell, the close-out G4 at $1200 or so is light-years ahead and not THAT much more.

SpinyNorman
Jan 19, 2001, 04:20 PM

That is, it's not THAT much more once you include USB/FW, a DVD drive (and a card).

Bubba Jones  (op)
Jan 19, 2001, 05:16 PM

Hey spiny, i already explained, i am an idiot. This was my first mac, i am attached to this puppy. I am willing to spend cash to extend it's actual useful life. Past that, i pretty much plan on keeping it around always. Can you point me in any directions.

A User
Jan 20, 2001, 02:47 PM

I did the CPU and hard drive together, not to much trouble although the SCSi card I wanted was a pain, the XLR8 G4450 was cool though. All in all I love graphite but right now its to much dough!

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2001, 11:44 PM

I'll second the vote on XLR8 for their upgrade cards. I have their Mach Carrier card with an OEM Motorola G3 ZIF in a PowerCenter Pro and it was the best! As far as other suggestions, check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for all your upgrade questions. Its a great site run by a really good guy. Plenty of user comments on a wide range of equipment. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules