Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Bad airport card?

Bad airport card?
cms
Senior User
Jun 9, 2003, 06:45 AM

Here's my problem:

I have used an airport card in my flat panel iMac for well over a year without a problem. Over the past few days, the airport card works only intermittantly. I have taken it out, looked for bent pins, etc., and put it back in, after which it worked perfectly for a couple of days and then stopped again. I've run the hardware diganostic software (extended test) that came with the machine and it reports that everything is fine.

Which it isn't........

Three other computers in my house with airport cards do not have this problem at all. They are connected to the internet via a D-Link cable modem router and suffer no such airport peculiarties as my iMac.

I am wondering whether this could be an airport card issue, since it DOES work absolutely perfectly SOMETIMES.

Any thoughts?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2003, 10:38 AM

How secure is the antenna cable in the card? That's the absolutely weakest point in the whole system-and the most crucial. If necessary, tape the connector to the card or card bay and see if you stay connected for longer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cms  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
How secure is the antenna cable in the card? That's the absolutely weakest point in the whole system-and the most crucial. If necessary, tape the connector to the card or card bay and see if you stay connected for longer.
Thanks for the tip.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I think it might actually be an issue between bluetooth and Airport. I happened upon the following thread in the OSX forum and it almost EXACTLY replicates my problem:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=163691

I have disabled the Bluetooth port and have unplugged the D-Link bluetooth dongle from the keyboard USB port, just to see if this has any positive effect. It's early days yet (only 3 hours, to be exact) but I checked back through my software update installation log and it seems as though the problem first occured last Wednesday (June 4), which was when I installed the bluetooth update.

Coincidence?

Forum Links
Forum Rules