Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading iMac DV (CRT) hard drive?

Upgrading iMac DV (CRT) hard drive?
Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 12:50 PM

How would I go about doing this? Anyone know of any tutorials? The google searches all return tutorials for the 2nd generation iMacs (bondi or fruity) - mine is an iMac 400 DV (indigo).

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Mr.Clicky
Sep 25, 2003, 01:18 AM

Yup, there's a goody archived at Macworld with lots of helpful pics

http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/

Explains both tray (fruity) and slot-loading models (the one you need) which I found very handy in performing open-iMac surgery on a 333 and DV400 a few months ago.

Enjoy and don't scrape your knuckles now

Originally posted by Amorya:
How would I go about doing this? Anyone know of any tutorials? The google searches all return tutorials for the 2nd generation iMacs (bondi or fruity) - mine is an iMac 400 DV (indigo).

Amorya
( Last edited by Mr.Clicky; Sep 25, 2003 at 02:24 AM. )

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 02:30 AM

This upgrade is pretty easy is you follow the directions in the link above. While you are at it you can upgrade the cd rom to a dvd or a combo drive.

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 09:28 AM

Thanks for your help, guys. That link was exactly what I was looking for.

It says that speeds of above 5400 will run too hot... that's annoying. I had arranged to acquire a 7200 RPM 40GB drive from a friend. Anyone ever put a 7200 RPM drive in a slot-loading iMac?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

nyarlaho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 10:59 AM

About a year ago I put a 7200 RPM 40 GIG harddrive in my Imac. Quite an improvement from the 6 GIG drive that it came with. Last week, though, I put the old one back in again. The new one had stopped working. It had shown glitches earlier, but usually after a few attempts it would start up. So I don't recommend putting 7200 RPM drives in the Imac.

Mr.Clicky
Sep 25, 2003, 06:28 PM

My current HD is 7200 and haven't had a problem with heat or constant running in a DV400. While not doubting some people have I suggest it's more to do with the individual drive than the imac's capacity to run it. Noticable improvement over the 5400 it replaced.

Originally posted by Amorya:
Thanks for your help, guys. That link was exactly what I was looking for.

It says that speeds of above 5400 will run too hot... that's annoying. I had arranged to acquire a 7200 RPM 40GB drive from a friend. Anyone ever put a 7200 RPM drive in a slot-loading iMac?

Amorya

P
Sep 26, 2003, 02:46 AM

I have 7200 rpm drive in my iMac. The important part about getting a 7200 rpm drive is to get one with a small onboard cache. My drive, Seagate Barracuda V 120 gig, exists in a 2 meg cache version and an 8 meg cache version. My 2 meg version works fine - I very much doubt that the 8 meg version, which runs much hotter, would work.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 01:53 PM

I've had a 7200 rpm Maxtor DiamondMax Plus drive (30 GB) in my grape iMac DV since July 2000. No problems; still going strong.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 02:41 PM

I highly reccomend that you don't put a 7200RPM in your slot loader. I had a 40GB Western Digital one in my 400Mhz Blueberry for about 6-8 months, then the analog board went out on it. My theory is because of the excess heat and no fan...
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

allmodconz
Oct 2, 2003, 05:30 PM

I have had no problems at all with my 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda. I never turn my computer off and it works fine.
--------------------------------
eMac / 80 gig HD /1Ghz G4/ 1 GB memory / OS X.3 / Superdrive / 40 gig iPod Photo
READ MY BLOG: www.informationleafblower.com/blog

Mr.Clicky
Oct 2, 2003, 05:45 PM

I also had a WD 40GB 7200 which crapped out but excessive imac heat is a bit of an urban myth, ventilation is fine in these machines (the 400 DVs are convection cooled). The reason in both these cases is because Western Digital sell crappy drives.

Originally posted by gumby5647:
I highly reccomend that you don't put a 7200RPM in your slot loader. I had a 40GB Western Digital one in my 400Mhz Blueberry for about 6-8 months, then the analog board went out on it. My theory is because of the excess heat and no fan...

P
Oct 6, 2003, 02:53 AM

I know that I'm repeating myself, but the cache is a very large part of the heat generation, and the speed the drive spins at is a very small part of it. If you have to replace your drive, you might as well use a 7200 rpm drive, but make sure that the cache is 2 MB or preferably even smaller. Since it seems that everyone who has used a Seagate Barracuda still have working Macs, so why don't you try one of them?

Forum Links
Forum Rules