Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > It's the Political/War Lounge

It's the Political/War Lounge
BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 01:22 AM

It's been a while, folks, and I'll probably go right back into hiatus. I just had a serious case of de ja vu when I read this. I should have known that a page titled "Why Smart People Defend Bad Ideas" would remind me of at least some of the posters in this place. I won't name names, though there was at least a time or two when it applied to me, so nobody should take it personally. I simply felt that this article would provide the folks here with a laugh and some much needed perspective.

At least I assume that this place hasn't changed that much since I left - I'm afraid that going back to reading the threads here will drop my already dangerously low IQ.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

vmpaul
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 02:02 AM

I haven't been around lately either (lurking a bit) but I just had to drop in to say where the h*ll have you been? I'd probably hang around more if the old gang showed up more.

Anyway, maybe again in 6 months, huh?
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

BlackGriffen  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by vmpaul
I haven't been around lately either (lurking a bit) but I just had to drop in to say where the h*ll have you been? I'd probably hang around more if the old gang showed up more.

Anyway, maybe again in 6 months, huh?
Oh, I'm still addicted to politics, unfortunately. I'm just really burnt out on arguing politics - especially when so many of the arguments are so circuitous. Maybe I'll get a bug up my butt about it in another couple of months, but who knows.

Good to hear from you, too, vm.

BG
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

vmpaul
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 02:29 AM

You probably don't remember but you were involved in one of my first big political arguments. It was pre-Political Lounge. I was defending the inevitable Iraqi-invaison (he types sheepishly). What was I thinking?

Anyway, that was when you could have an honest debate around here and not spawn ideological hate-speak. Probably the reason I don't hang around much. I pop by once in a while to read zigzag fight the good fight.

Anyway, good to hear from you too. Now if only thunderous and Lerkfish popped by occasionally.

-v
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Forum Links
Forum Rules