Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac...Modular Display Unit

New iMac...Modular Display Unit
awcopus
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 08:20 AM

Just a hope and a prayer that this new LCD iMac will enable us to simply replace the bundled 15" monitor with, say, a new 17" or 19" LCD.

15", no matter how beautiful, is pretty small at 1024x768.

Hmmm.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 08:23 AM

Screen = 1280x1024?

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 08:26 AM

Oh...didn't see that spec. Thought Apple was sticking with the same resolution limit built into the Ti, the iBook, and their current 15" standalone display.

That would be nice, John. At this point, we need every little improvement we can get.

Having reread the Time article, it does feel like the iMac is not all that Jobs is up to, though it does appear to be the ultimate announcement for the current expo, which is really upsetting if it's true.

We'll know soon enough.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

gladmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by JohnD:
<STRONG>Screen = 1280x1024?</STRONG>
That resolution is quite stupid... since it's 5:4 aspect ratio and not 4:3. Apple seems to think it's a good idea though... since with most Apple computers and displays you'll have to look to find 1280*960, which has the proper aspect ratio.

If an LCD was made with quadratic pixels in 1280*1024, the picture would have to be stretched or you'd have black borders at top and bottom when using 800*600 for games.

arhra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by JohnD:
<STRONG>Screen = 1280x1024?</STRONG>
Apparently not:
http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

nyarlaho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 05:36 PM

But 15" LCD's are bigger than 15" CRT's, rite? Cuz in the first case, it means: 15 inch viewable, and in the other one it means: 15 inch blablablasomethingelse. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

ramseyp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 05:57 PM

My question is how durable is that pivot arm. I can see these guys replacing computers acting as public terminals and in wired classrooms. All I need is for one of them to get worn down to where the display arm won't function.

I love the machine. Elegant and simple design while at the same time powerful and capable. Guess I gotta order one as a sample.

Pat

JimmytheC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 06:12 PM

The new iMac has a VGA output, capable of video-mirroring. Does anyone know if a second monitor can be used, well, as a second monitor?

--JC
When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout. --Moose

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by JimmytheC:
<STRONG>The new iMac has a VGA output, capable of video-mirroring. Does anyone know if a second monitor can be used, well, as a second monitor?

--JC</STRONG>
It depends upon the video card. I've read about certain video cards that are "designed for" video mirroring. I would love to add another monitor to my Cube, although I don't think that I can, even though I DO have an extra VGA port.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules