Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > To everyone with the IKEA Jerker desk.

To everyone with the IKEA Jerker desk.
HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 05:55 PM

I have always had a problem with this desk shaking when I type. Sometimes it would shake so much that the angle of my iMacs screen would start to drop. I went to IKEA thinking of buying the Galant series desk but when I got the to store I noticed that the Galant was even worse when it came to keyboard induced wobbling. Anyway, I found a great solution to making the Jerker a solid desk. I bought a 3/4"x1.5"x6' plank of wood from Home Depot and got out my saw and sanding paper . I cut two boards to fit in-between the two metal beams of the desk legs. The result is a perfectly sold desk and it doesn't look overly out of place. I also cut a shorter plank and placed it in-between the front and rear beams that screw onto the bottom of the desk. It is placed right under the location the keyboard sits for added measure.

[removed oversize image --tooki]
Here is a URL since the image is oversized . Jerker Desk modified I thought that 800x600 was the accepted size?
( Last edited by HungrySeacow; Mar 15, 2006 at 04:46 PM. )
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2006, 06:05 PM

How hard do you type?

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 06:10 PM

My Galant desk doesn't have any problems. It's the corner version with 2 and a half A legs. I don't know what the rectangle version is like though. Also with the Galant series you can adjust the individual leg height (much more useful on the A legs) which should keep it from wobbling at all.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2006, 06:19 PM

my jerker desk as additional supports going from the bottom of the desk top to the upright leg thingy. Pretty stable for me.

HungrySeacow  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 06:29 PM

It is not so much how hard I type, as to being a rhythm problem. A sort of wobble amplification if you will .

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2006, 06:41 PM

ive recently noticed this phenomenon on my jerker desk as well (jerker with shelf) and its quite annoying. i think ill make a trip out to home depot after finals.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

deomacius
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 06:46 PM

I'd love to know where you got that desktop picture. Sorry for the off topic post.

You reap what you sow.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2006, 07:09 PM

IBT.

-t

MM-o4
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
I'd love to know where you got that desktop picture. Sorry for the off topic post.
me too. I like it

MM

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 12:25 AM

Was you desk always like that or did it only get unstable after a few years? My JERKER bought 9 months ago is rock solid, except for when my inkjet is pumping out pages (no desk could stop those vibrations ).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 12:37 AM

I have a 7 year old ikea desk and it is still in perfectly stable condition.
( Last edited by I Bent My Wookiee; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM. )

"Barwaraaawww"

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 12:48 AM

If I had one 'o those, I'd probably call it a Worker desk or something equally benign. But sure as ****, I sure wouldn't tell anyone I surf the internet with my computer on a Jerker desk.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by HungrySeacow
It is not so much how hard I type, as to being a rhythm problem. A sort of wobble amplification if you will .
Rhythmic motions causing your "jerker" to vibrate? This is a family website, fella!

edit: damn, too late

Ganesha
Senior User
Mar 14, 2006, 02:25 AM

You put your table together wrong...

http://homepage.mac.com/william_wu/.Pictures/desk.jpg

I have to hammer pretty hard for it to vibrate at all. My guess one of the feet isn't making contact.

HungrySeacow  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ganesha
You put your table together wrong...

http://homepage.mac.com/william_wu/.Pictures/desk.jpg

I have to hammer pretty hard for it to vibrate at all. My guess one of the feet isn't making contact.
I put it together just fine thank you . I think you may not have that problem because you have the tower on the desk, adding weight to the desk. I have also noticed that the effect is much less pronounced when the keyboard is placed closer to the edge.

For everyone that is looking for the background, I got it here: http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/index.php?sort=date

HungrySeacow  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
If I had one 'o those, I'd probably call it a Worker desk or something equally benign. But sure as ****, I sure wouldn't tell anyone I surf the internet with my computer on a Jerker desk.

LOL, I think the original name is just as fitting . IKEA

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 14, 2006, 12:28 PM

I find the standard supports for a lot of IKEA tables to be inadequate.

When I got my Ikea desk, I got the über-big-solid leg/support option that was more expensive and much heavier. That table is stable. The stock configured table they had in the showroom was much less stable, but it also was much less expensive. Similarly, for some of the cabinets I got, I had to add several screws/nails to make them more sturdy, and they still weren't as sturdy as furniture from more expensive stores near my place.

Basically what I'm saying is that a lot of what Ikea offers is popular because it's cheap, and sometimes you get what you pay for.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Basically what I'm saying is that a lot of what Ikea offers is popular because it's cheap, and sometimes you get what you pay for.
Exactly. People complain about ikea being cheap and wobbly but they fail to mention they paid $75 for the dresser or office table.

If I buy the mid range ikea stuff I find it works forever. Some stuff it still working 15 years later.

"Barwaraaawww"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 12:41 PM

Their modular office desk system, which I can't remember the name of now, is rock solid. I think it's the same one Eug is talking about, with the big solid beam running down the length of it, and upside-down T legs rather than smaller ones in the four corners. We had 2 of them in my house, and it's amazing how sturdy they are for being ikea products. they're well-made, everything fits together, and you could hang an elephant from that frame.

"I start fires!"

HungrySeacow  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 12:48 PM

I love IKEA! You just have to be careful with what you pick. I picked the Jerker desk because it was exactly what I wanted and nothing more. At the time it seemed to be very solid, which it really is. As I said before, the problem was a wobble amplification . We have a lot of furniture from IKEA and it all has been really great.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
Their modular office desk system, which I can't remember the name of now, is rock solid. I think it's the same one Eug is talking about, with the big solid beam running down the length of it, and upside-down T legs rather than smaller ones in the four corners. We had 2 of them in my house, and it's amazing how sturdy they are for being ikea products. they're well-made, everything fits together, and you could hang an elephant from that frame.
Yeah, That's what I bought. It's heavy and solid.

The problem though is that beam decreases the height of the underside of the table quite significantly. For example, someone wanting a cheese grater Power Mac might not be able to fit it underneath the table.

BTW, I specifically got that setup because my previous Ikea table (with smaller supports) wobbled when I typed.

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
That's the desk that I have. It's called the Galant series. It's sturdy as a rock.

To Eug:
The problem with the beam shouldn't actually be a problem because all of the legs have adjustable heights to them. (At least the A legs do.)
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

HungrySeacow  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Altair
That's the desk that I have. It's called the Galant series. It's sturdy as a rock.

To Eug:
The problem with the beam shouldn't actually be a problem because all of the legs have adjustable heights to them. (At least the A legs do.)

Is your Galant desk "L" shaped or just a rectangle? The one I was looking at was a 62" rectangle and it was very wobbly.

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 04:47 PM

Is your Galant desk "L" shaped or just a rectangle? The that I was looking at was a 62" rectangle and it was very wobbly.
It is an L with the short L part on the left side. That probably makes the desk more stable since there are three seperate A legs instead of just two.
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2006, 05:35 PM

To Eug:
True, but if you have to raise the table too much, then it becomes unergonomic for many people.

mindwaves
Mar 15, 2006, 05:56 PM

My Jerker desk has given me no problems. I bought it after seeing a picture of it in the PowerMac picture thread.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2006, 07:25 PM

I still can't get over the fact that they took the original Jerker desk, which is the best desk they've ever made (I have it here), and turned it into the piece of **** that the "Jerker" is now.

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I still can't get over the fact that they took the original Jerker desk, which is the best desk they've ever made (I have it here), and turned it into the piece of **** that the "Jerker" is now.
Can you elaborate more on this (with pictures)?
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2006, 07:51 PM

THIS is the original Jerker.

Notice it's completely modular.

I live in an attic apartment, and I took off the top part, but still have the two-tier desktop - not an option any longer.

Also, the desktop has additional diagonal braces making it much more sturdy than the new version.

Apart from that, the whole frame has been narrowed down and completely turned into butter.

A real shame. Ah well, I've still got mine.

Another shot

And this here was my setup about two years ago.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 15, 2006, 10:20 PM

Here is a URL since the image is oversized . Jerker Desk modified I thought that 800x600 was the accepted size?
Our rules clearly state a maximum width of 480 pixels and a maximum height of 720px.

tooki

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 12:19 AM

THIS is the original Jerker.
Well it's strongly a matter of opinion that that one is better than todays JERKER then. I would never have bought anything like that, the shape and two-tier design would make it unusable for me. I like the current design as it's a long and wide flat surface (hard to find desks like this!!!) with optional drawers (which I have) and two types of shelves. To each his/her own, though. Extra sturdiness is always good.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2006, 05:58 AM

The old design is more flexible (you don't have to use the second tier), but above all, there is no flex and wobble in the original Jerker.

I was shocked when I saw what they'd turned it into. If you don't need the second tier or the add-on side shelves, then it's just an ordinary wide desk with a nasty wobble and a flexing desktop.

The pull-out shelves on the original are great, too. I keep my laptop on one of them.

Super Mario
Mar 16, 2006, 08:25 AM

And this here was my setup about two years ago.
Holy cow. You must have many hands

( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:13 PM. )

Y3a
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 09:18 AM

I've even moved and reassembled my Jerker and it's STILL rock solid. re-check your feet to make sure theyare all solidly on the floor. Is your floor flat or is it an older wooden floor which creaks?
You may have something not tight on the frame. You aren't typing with your butt cheeks or anything right?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Holy cow. You must have many hands
Audio technology has enabled people to record more than a single run since ca. the early sixties.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 03:05 PM

I am considering getting the new Jerker for my own setup - but it
may involve a move to another area of the house. I'll keep an eye
out for the potential wobble issue.

I plan on two shelves - I'm now down to the G5 2.5 DP, the Midisport
2x2, a single midi master keyboard, the Roland R5 and the
Roland VS-840EX as mixer (but may replace with a firewire 16
channel deal).

I'll be putting the two smaller pieces on shelving and the master
keyboard on the desk and using an under-desk computer keyboard
shelf for that. Maybe. The mouse could be problematic in that
config.

I have to plan this out but my studio is a lot smaller and lot more
capable than it was 2 years ago I think.

The setups I've seen here look nice anyway. Gives me some ideas.

Neil Parfitt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 02:35 AM

Yeah the old JERKER was *amazing*. It's still the hub of my studio, doesnt wobble.. built like a tank!! I've had this thing since 2001 - and have moved 4 times. This desk has held everything from big CRTS, Speakers, digital pianos to the current set of electronic junk - and it's still as solid as it was the day I bought it.

http://www.neilaudio.com/jerker/jerker2.jpg

Cheers,

Neil

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2007, 04:15 AM

uhhhh
Zombie Thread!!!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
uhhhh
Zombie Thread!!!
It's gonna eat your brain!

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 09:52 AM

old picture, but same great desk

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 06:26 PM

Nope - that's the new, utterly crummy (by comparison) desk.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2007, 06:51 PM

I have one of each (old and new), and I prefer the new. It's bigger, and the upper shelves of the old style were wobbly (the new aren't). The new one has none of the wobble that the old one has. I like the pull-out surfaces of the old, though.

It sounds like wobble is a hit-or-miss aspect of these units from one to the next, regardless of style.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I have one of each (old and new), and I prefer the new. It's bigger, and the upper shelves of the old style were wobbly (the new aren't). The new one has none of the wobble that the old one has. I like the pull-out surfaces of the old, though.

It sounds like wobble is a hit-or-miss aspect of these units from one to the next, regardless of style.
Is the desktop on the new ones wider than the old one? I don't think so. In that case, the old one actually has more area.

The new one is in its entirety less sturdy than the old one was, and it is *far* less flexibly configurable.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2007, 12:15 AM

I have one of the new ones I guess (I got it last summer) and I have been very happy with it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 01:13 AM

I got mine for $50. It might be replaced shortly with a drafting table from the 60s.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 10:17 AM

Yeah, the new one is about a foot wider. It is less configurable, due to the supporting posts not being modular, but I find that the modular posts are a source of wobble (though I did get that one used). Also, I wouldn't say "far" less configurable, since that one advantage only affects people who have less than 7' ceilings or so (a minority to say the least), and the new one also has it's configurability advantages, like for example I attached the drawer unit to the underside (I had to drill my own holes, but such is not even possible with the old one due to the pull-out surfaces).

On what basis do you cast your dispersions, analogika? How many units of each revision have you actually used?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 10:25 AM

What's the difference anyway? I have one without an arc cutout in front, but it could have drawers... I don't have them though. That drawer thing pissed me off actually. The desk cost $50, and the drawer option was also $50. Argh.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 07:08 PM

The "old" kind has the two front corners angled away from you, and two little slide-out surfaces that come out of them:
http://img.classificats.net/00000109...M4R2Wtaula.gif
Its supporting structure can be short or tall (the black part of the verticals in that picture are removeable, along with the uppermost shelf.

The "new" kind has two varieties. One has the high shelves similar to the old:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/31693_PE121155_S3.jpg
difference being that the verticals are now not modular, the slide-out surfaces are gone, probably because there is now a metal structure on the underside of the wooden surface, probably because the wooden surface is much larger than the "old" kind, requiring stronger support. Also, now the front curves in at the middle, away from you, instead of receding away at the edges like the "old" style.

The "new" kind's second version is completely different (this is probably the one you have):
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/31689_PE121151_S3.jpg
This is the only one that supports the drawer unit out of the box. Its surface is about as much bigger than the other "new" kind as that was bigger than the "old" kind.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2007, 07:23 PM

Also, the old version allowed you two positions for both the tabletop and the first-tier shelf, allowing you to (as in my set-up) arrange the tabletop a few inches further forward, and the shelf a few inches back, for more horizontal space.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 07:32 PM

Huh. Well, right now all my quadraphonic stereo equipment is sitting on mine, and it's fine. It's never been wobbly. >shrug<

It's okay for what I paid, but I don't understand the cult following around this desk.

Actually, wait, yes I do. I remember desk shopping. Why are so many desk designs out there SO BAD? Those stupid keyboard drawers that chew up keyboard cables? Meaningless holes and horrible construction, cheesy orange plastic wood all over the place? Retarded prices? Overly complicated styling? UGH.

I was really happy when I found mine.... it was simple, cheap, and sturdy. I really don't know why there aren't more companies making desks like that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules