Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Audio dies in 9.1, any else suffer this?

Audio dies in 9.1, any else suffer this?
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2001, 11:54 PM

My only problem with 9.1 is that my audio just dies after a while. I just get no sound at all and theres nothing i can do about it. I have to restart to get audio back. This may also have something to do with iTunes because I, like many other people, installed iTunes the same day as 9.1. Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone know why it happens? Also I'm using soundsticks-if that makes any difference. I try inplugging them, or using headphones, but nothing works. Thanks.

waffffffle  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2001, 03:45 AM

I;m posting again to bring this back to the top because I still experience this problem and I have no idea what to do. I've discovered that the sound almost always dies when I upload using AIM, but it often dies at other times too, often while music is playin in iTunes. Anyone else experience this? I'm using a pismo w/ sound sticks.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2001, 08:07 AM

If you unplug the usb speakers, does the sound come back via the internal speakers?

P7
Feb 19, 2001, 11:57 AM

My audio slowly died (first alert sounds, then all sounds) on 9.1 last week... and then I got an error that my Quicktime Beta 5 had expired, and the Sound CP it installed was bad, too. I got QT5b3 and it's all good now. So maybe that's it.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Feb 28, 2001, 04:12 PM

My sound died as well around the time that QuickTime 5 Public Preview 2 expired, even though I thought I'd gone back to QT4 a long time ago. It turns out it was the Sound Manager Extension from QT5 that hadn't been uninstalled that was causing the sound problems.

Kenneth

Toinou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2001, 11:37 AM

Dead sound in new gen macs ?
Check that U have the latest apple audio extension and no conflicting sound manager extensions.
This shourd be enough for the software part.
If you own an iMac U should try to plug and unplug an earphone plug in each of the sound out the computer has - I had this issue on my iMac DV !

Toinou

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2001, 12:36 PM

My Pismo started doing this 'few weeks ago, but after I installed QuickTime 5 Preview (1/2/3/4/5??? How many are there now... I've lost count) everything has been fine.

In Mac OS 9.1 the Sound Sets seem to use the same volume as the Alert Sounds, but I'm sure it wasn't like that in 9.0.4 because I always leave the Alert sound volume at 0% - it's annoying to hear it while you're adjusting system volume with the buttons on the keyboard.

Am I off topic?

Forum Links
Forum Rules