Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Worth waiting for Leopard?

Worth waiting for Leopard?
oddjob42
Oct 6, 2007, 09:31 AM

Hi, just found the forum.

I've decided that I'm going to buy a macbook (the £699 model), and I was just wondering whether it would be a wise move to wait until OS X Leopard is released. On the official site, it says it will be released during October. So, will the new OS be included on the macbooks, and will having on there increase the price. £699 is pretty much my limit, but I also want to have Leopard, and I'm unsure whether having it packed-in will increased the price.

Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Oct 6, 2007, 10:53 AM

This close, I'd just wait.

Also, there are several other Leopard buy-now-or-wait discussions floating around the boards already. A search would give you more information.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 6, 2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks. I tried a search, but I couldn't come up with anything to answer my specific question, which is: will having Leopard as a pack-in with a new macbook (which I'd assume they'll do) change the price? As I said before, I'm on a pretty tight budget, and I don't really want it to increase significantly when Leopard comes out.

Cold Warrior
Oct 6, 2007, 11:05 AM

No. Once Leopard is out, some point after that Apple will install it as the default OS and it won't impact computer prices.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2007, 11:08 AM

Usually, how long after they release the OS is it shipping with new machines? I vaguely remember this being very quick, since all announcements have already happened, etc.

You might want to pay attention to the rumor mill surrounding new MacBooks soon. Hard to ever say when rumors have weight, especially regarding specific time scales, but this one isn't terribly far-fetched. Might also depend on preference.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 6, 2007, 11:09 AM

Great. Any idea how long after its released it will be installed as the default OS? It's just so I can judge when I would be buying it.

Cold Warrior
Oct 6, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by oddjob42 View Post
Great. Any idea how long after its released it will be installed as the default OS? It's just so I can judge when I would be buying it.
No one knows. You'll see what OS the Macs come with on their product page at the online Apple Store. Unless Apple makes a separate announcement about this, the Apple Store online is the best way to tell if you'll get it pre-installed with Leopard.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 6, 2007, 11:26 AM

Okay. Thanks a lot for your help. I thought that maybe there would be a usual time (e.g. a month) that they wait before-hand.

Cold Warrior
Oct 6, 2007, 11:32 AM

From what I've seen in the past, it'll be much sooner than a month. Other than that, no one knows.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 6, 2007, 11:49 AM

I'll wait then. Hopefully Leopard will come as standard before the end of October...

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 12:53 AM

My understanding from reading other threads here is that if you purchase the computer after the release date of Leopard, then you can get it for the price of the media ($10?) if it's not installed on the machine already. Or something close to that at least. I'd wait until the release date for Leopard is announced, and then call or stop by an Apple store and ask them if you buy that day you can get Leopard with the computer. That's my plan but I can wait until the release date if necessary.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2007, 04:19 PM

what about people who got there macbooks less than 2 months ago, like me?

Cold Warrior
Oct 8, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
what about people who got there macbooks less than 2 months ago, like me?
You're SOL, unless Apple decides to deviate from recent history.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2007, 04:34 PM

Sol?

Cold Warrior
Oct 8, 2007, 04:39 PM

Sol?
sh*t-out-of-luck.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 9, 2007, 12:15 PM

So, if I were to buy it now, I would get Leopard for free?

Cold Warrior
Oct 9, 2007, 12:18 PM

no.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 12:35 PM

Wait till Apple announce the accurate release date for Leopard, then buy between the announcement and the release.

This means you'll have a machine-specific version of Tiger and (if history repeats itself) a retail version of Leopard for the cost of shipping as a courtesy gesture from Apple.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2007, 12:42 PM

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 9, 2007, 01:00 PM

So, it looks like the macbook might get a hardware update as well? If that's the case, I'll definately wait, unless that impacts the price significantly.

Cold Warrior
Oct 9, 2007, 01:01 PM

It won't. Apple's hardware updates tend not to impact their price points.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2007, 02:19 PM

so for me, I just got a macbook on August 27th, would there be some deal for me, where I can trade in my MB to Apple, and get a big chunk of money off on the updated MB's? I got the 2GB of RAM option, and 160GB Hard Drive, I have the white 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor. It cost me a total of $1,489.00, after the student education discount.

Cold Warrior
Oct 9, 2007, 02:34 PM

so for me, I just got a macbook on August 27th, would there be some deal for me, where I can trade in my MB to Apple, and get a big chunk of money off on the updated MB's? I got the 2GB of RAM option, and 160GB Hard Drive, I have the white 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor. It cost me a total of $1,489.00, after the student education discount.
No.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2007, 02:44 PM

really? thats stinks. Not even some money off? like for them to sell at there used store? I suppose I could try selling it myself....how much do you think mine would be worth now, not even 2 months after I bought it?

Altair
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2007, 04:22 PM

really? thats stinks. Not even some money off? like for them to sell at there used store? I suppose I could try selling it myself....how much do you think mine would be worth now, not even 2 months after I bought it?
As a note, I think you can only get one laptop a year with the student discount. On the bright side a copy of OSX is about $70-75 for students so it's not all bad. Chances are, this update will be minor and not worth worrying about.

For me, I'll wait for this update and pick up what they release since my current laptop is really slow.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2007, 07:20 PM

The thing is, the new macbooks probably won't even be announced until macworld in January, if at all. So at that point it'd be a 5 or 6 month old machine, which would still get a decent price on the used market.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 10, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scarpa View Post
The thing is, the new macbooks probably won't even be announced until macworld in January, if at all. So at that point it'd be a 5 or 6 month old machine, which would still get a decent price on the used market.

So, you don't think the new macbook hardware will be released to coincide with Leopard?

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2007, 11:40 AM

[edit] n/m

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2007, 01:30 PM

So, you don't think the new macbook hardware will be released to coincide with Leopard?
I'm not counting on it. I'd love to see it though, since I'm holding out for Leopard to but a MacBook.

There's two rumors right now, one says a slight bump in processory speed for the MacBooks "in consumer's hands by mid-Nov" and one indicates a complete revamp of the MacBook line. I'd say the former rumor is more likely and if true would be officially announce at the same time a Leopard, I guess.

HazMacFan
Oct 12, 2007, 12:12 AM

From my personal experience, I got an iBook three weeks before Tiger came out. When it was released, I went to the Apple web site and put in my serial number. Apple shipped me a Tiger DVD. Only thing was it was an upgrade DVD so when I rebuilt my iBook after I got a new HDD, I had to install Panther then Tiger.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 19, 2007, 11:42 AM

I suppose my question is even more relevant to me now that Leopard's release date has been announced. Apple have now got an up-to-date service, where you can buy a mac now, and for £5 send off for Leopard after the 26th. So, my slightly revised question is - should I buy a mac now and then upgrade to Leopard, or wait until it becomes standard on macs?

My concerns lie with actually upgrading it. How much HDD space will it take up? Will all my files be compatible? Will there be any problems with upgrading? However, if I get the chance to upgrade before the end of the year, is it possible they'll release a newer version before then, fixing some of the bugs etc?

Can anyone help me out?

Cold Warrior
Oct 19, 2007, 12:01 PM

they're probably working on a minor point release right now. Personally, I'd wait until 10.5 comes pre-installed on Macs. This way you get 10.5 restore discs, not 10.4 restore discs + 10.5 updater disc (if Apple goes that route.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 19, 2007, 12:45 PM

Okay, what will the restore disks be used for? Just if you need to re-install the OS?

Is that the only reason you'd wait, or is there anything else?

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Oct 19, 2007, 12:49 PM

yeah, to reinstall the OS.

And at this point, so close to leopard being preinstalled, that's the only reason I'd wait. A couple weeks is worth it to -- to me -- to have it arrive preinstalled and with leopard system discs.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 19, 2007, 01:07 PM

Any idea when it will come pre-installed? Has there been any precedent set with tiger, or the others? On release day? Days? Weeks? Months?...

Cold Warrior
Oct 19, 2007, 01:27 PM

Any idea when it will come pre-installed? Has there been any precedent set with tiger, or the others? On release day? Days? Weeks? Months?...
A Macworld article says Apple is preinstalling it now on some Macs or including it with the Mac.
Macworld: News: Mac OS X Leopard coming October 26

YMMV

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 19, 2007, 01:46 PM

So, would you say that I could go down to the apple store on the 30th and get it pre-installed, or will it be a longer wait than that? I'm in the UK, so is there a possibility of my buying a mac tomorrow and having it come with Leopard?

Cold Warrior
Oct 19, 2007, 01:52 PM

I have no idea. Your best bet would be to call your local store if you plan to buy from them.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 20, 2007, 02:49 AM

So, at this stage, is not getting the correct restore disks the only downside, or are there others? Will more HDD space be needed, will some of my files not be compatible? Basically, if I can get it earlier, I'm fine with not having the right restore disk, but I don't want any more problems...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 08:09 AM

The upgrade process is very simple.
It will take about an hour or so and then after that your Mac will reboot into 10.5 with everything exactly like it was in 10.4 before you rebooted.
All of your applications will still be installed and thus none of your files will be incompatible, etc.

If I was in the position to buy a new Mac right now, I'd go down to the Apple Store today, buy one and get the 10.5 discs.

ShawnDC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 10:22 AM

I'm planning on buying one but will wait for the 26th on the off-chance that there is any surprise announcement about a revision of the MacBook.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 20, 2007, 01:29 PM

Thanks for both of your replys.

I think the best thing for me to do would be to buy a mac in the next few days and send off the £5 later to get Leopard. I might even be able to get a newer updated of Leopard, if they release one before the end of the year.

goldfilm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 04:08 PM

Amazon.com has the following deal:
- Buy the MacBook before or on Monday 22
- Rebate $75
- After October 26th receive the Leopard for $10
Total savings: $65

I want to do it but I'm worried about Apple releasing a surprising hardware upgrade on the 26th with the Leopard...

any thoughts?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 04:46 PM

Not gonna happen.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 22, 2007, 07:49 AM

There's lots of rumours that the MB will be getting an upgrade with the release of Leopard/early November. Is there a strong possibility of this happening, or are they just rumours? I really want to get a MB soon, but I could wait a couple of weeks if there's going to be a hardware upgrade, however, I don't want to have to keep waiting, as I know they're going to be updated eventually - but there's no point waiting until that happens.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 22, 2007, 11:19 AM

Could anyone give me an answer? It's pretty urgent.

Thanks

Cold Warrior
Oct 22, 2007, 11:22 AM

They're just rumors at this point. I haven't seen anything remotely close to that soon of a release from any reliable rumors site.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 22, 2007, 11:37 AM

Well, if it was scheduled to be released in the next couple of weeks, I assume they would have announced it by now, wouldn't they? That would probably be the maximum amount of time I'd be willing to wait for it, but if it's next year or in a few months, I'll probably be content with the current version. How much of an upgrade could they do, anyway?

EDIT: Thanks for your reply, too

ShawnDC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2007, 03:15 PM

Well, if it was scheduled to be released in the next couple of weeks, I assume they would have announced it by now, wouldn't they? That would probably be the maximum amount of time I'd be willing to wait for it, but if it's next year or in a few months, I'll probably be content with the current version. How much of an upgrade could they do, anyway?

EDIT: Thanks for your reply, too
I don't think a surprise is out of the question. If you don't absolutely have to have a new MacBook tomorrow, why not wait a week and see what happens?

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 22, 2007, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I would, but like everything, you can wait too long. I mean, there are always going to be updates, so it could always be next week that they're going to release a new version, so it means you never actually buy it, and are always waiting for the one better. I appreciate your advice, but I just wanted to know whether there was anything set in stone, or very likely. I think I'll probably just have to buy one tomorrow - although I'd like to have the newest version, I don't want to be having to wait months because they might release one soon...

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules