Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Keyboard touching screen not fixed

Keyboard touching screen not fixed
emerrill
Nov 18, 2002, 05:08 PM

Just a heads up, the problem with the keyboard leaving marks on the screen has not been fixed, I am getting marks on the screen of my 1GHz that i got less than a week ago.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2002, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by emerrill:
Just a heads up, the problem with the keyboard leaving marks on the screen has not been fixed, I am getting marks on the screen of my 1GHz that i got less than a week ago.
Yeah, I checked out the 867 last week at the store, and I see no indication that the keyboard is significantly recessed.

The paint does seem a bit different though, although I have minimal experience with the previous TiBook.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 05:42 PM

Yup. I was in the Apple Store at Valley Fair and noticed that there was no change to the level between screen and keyboard (someone else in these fourms had mentioned it had been fixed - not).

When I get my new TiSD, I'm going to do the same thing I did with my 800: use Swiffers. It's a small soft pad that is the exact size of the keyboard. Get em in the cleaning supplies section at any supermarket. The actual purpose for a Swiffer is to dust clean floors. I just put in the Swiffer over the keyboard anytime I need to close my computer. My 800Mhz Ti has no marks. I started using them after I found that my 500Mhz had marks that I couln't get out. They're also handy for dusting off the screen every once in a while. I may look a little anal, but my investment is in better shape for it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2002, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
Yup. I was in the Apple Store at Valley Fair and noticed that there was no change to the level between screen and keyboard (someone else in these fourms had mentioned it had been fixed - not).

When I get my new TiSD, I'm going to do the same thing I did with my 800: use Swiffers. It's a small soft pad that is the exact size of the keyboard. Get em in the cleaning supplies section at any supermarket. The actual purpose for a Swiffer is to dust clean floors. I just put in the Swiffer over the keyboard anytime I need to close my computer. My 800Mhz Ti has no marks. I started using them after I found that my 500Mhz had marks that I couln't get out. The're also handy for dusting off the screen every once in a while. I may look a little anal, but my investment is in better shape for it.
I trust you mean the dry ones. I think I have some Swiffers somewhere. I mean I must, because I certainly haven't used them to clean anything with much.

You get no problems with the screen touching anywhere outside the keyboard region?

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
I trust you mean the dry ones. I think I have some Swiffers somewhere. I mean I must, because I certainly haven't used them to clean anything with much.

You get no problems with the screen touching anywhere outside the keyboard region?
Nothing other than sneeze spots from my kids. The keypads are the only areas that cause the marks. The marks are from oils in your fingures that transfer to the screen when you close it. If you constantly clean the screen you should be okay.

Oh yea, definately the dry ones! Sounds like you clean about as much as I clean my office. Guess I should put the Swiffers to some more conventional use also.

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:

When I get my new TiSD, I'm going to do the same thing I did with my 800: use Swiffers. It's a small soft pad that is the exact size of the keyboard. Get em in the cleaning supplies section at any supermarket. The actual purpose for a Swiffer is to dust clean floors. I just put in the Swiffer over the keyboard anytime I need to close my computer. My 800Mhz Ti has no marks. I started using them after I found that my 500Mhz had marks that I couln't get out. They're also handy for dusting off the screen every once in a while. I may look a little anal, but my investment is in better shape for it.
I can recommend the ScreenSavRz from RadTech, they look good, have high quality and will last for a loooong time, the price is okay if you ask me.
http://homepage.mac.com/radtech/PhotoAlbum5.html
Soylent green is people.

cambro
Senior User
Nov 18, 2002, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Yeah, I checked out the 867 last week at the store, and I see no indication that the keyboard is significantly recessed.
I agree, the keyboard on my Ghz Combo isn't any lower than the PBG4 400 that it replaced. However, the keyboard itself is much, much nicer. The keys feel more "beefy" and everything on the keyboard just feels better.

Regarding screen marks...I've taken to placing a piece of paper on the keyboard before closing it. An 8.5x11 sheet fits nicely over the keyboard and kept all screen marks off of my 400. Free, easy to replace, and a good piece of scrap paper is always handy this way!

caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 08:59 PM

I got the keyboard cover for my powerbook ghz from drbott.com for $6.95. Its neopreme(wetsuit material) and works perfectly I definately reccomend it. Heres a link http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5868-KY12
Casey Gittings

sunkist
Banned
Nov 18, 2002, 09:05 PM

you know you can just go to a craft store and get a piece of fabric. in fact you get to choose the color, dont pay shipping and hella sure you pay less than 7 dollars.

-Chris

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 09:28 PM

I've bought and made more screen protectors than I care to admit, and nothing works better than an 8.5 by 11 inch piece of paper.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
I've bought and made more screen protectors than I care to admit, and nothing works better than an 8.5 by 11 inch piece of paper.
Same here. Bought one of those leather ones from OWC. Piece of thick sh*t. I've used paper too. Still like the multi-features of the Swiffer, so i can dust off my screen here and there and toss them every once in a while. I don't want something I'm stuck with and have to clean that's for sure.

caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 09:50 PM

You could also put your powerbook in a plastic bag but you wouldnt. I want my powerbook to be perfect and I dont want a piece of fabric covering my $3000 dollar powerbook.
Casey Gittings

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2002, 10:05 PM

That's strange. JayTi's PowerBook didn't have screen marks, and the one I took apart didn't have that problem. Perhaps it was a pre-production thing.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by TobyX:

I can recommend the ScreenSavRz from RadTech, they look good, have high quality and will last for a loooong time, the price is okay if you ask me.
Ooh, that does look nice... for $10, it's worth it. Im gonna pamper my new TiBook

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
That's strange. JayTi's PowerBook didn't have screen marks, and the one I took apart didn't have that problem. Perhaps it was a pre-production thing.
Screen marks come after varying usage. Depending on how much oil your fingers transfer, how much you type, and how often you close it. Eventually they will start to appear, unless you cover the keypads.

azark
Nov 18, 2002, 10:17 PM

I had screen marks on my Ti 550, but easy to wash out...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2002, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by azark:
I had screen marks on my Ti 550, but easy to wash out...
I don't think this should be taken for granted. Often, marks that start with being removable begin to become permanent over time. The keys just chisel away at that delicate, LCD-screen surface...

It begins to show over time. I learned the hard way with a Lombard, but supposately, even deeper marks can be removed to an extent with car polish.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2002, 12:31 AM

I didn't start getting my iBook screen marks until a couple of months later.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 19, 2002 at 12:54 AM. )

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 06:59 PM

I don't think this should be taken for granted. Often, marks that start with being removable begin to become permanent over time. The keys just chisel away at that delicate, LCD-screen surface...

It begins to show over time. I learned the hard way with a Lombard, but supposately, even deeper marks can be removed to an extent with car polish.
Can polish hen?

Could you care to explain how? I just bought a 2nd hand Ti400 and there's a huge mark (I got 128MB RAM for it.. hehehe). I'd like to get that mark of.. could you explain me exactly how to get rid of it?

I'd really appreciate...

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2003, 02:42 AM

New PowerBook feature to be introduced at MacWorld: A piece of 20# bond will be permanently attached to the left side of the keyboard so you don't have to go looking for one when you close your PowerBook. All else will remain the same. Prices will increase by $.02.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 03:23 AM

I think that would be absurd, but it would be very functional in application.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2003, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by TobyX:

They are supposed to be microfibre as well so you can clean the screen with
them which is not true of bits of paper and leather or the think foam packaging that PB's used to come in that I saved a piece of. Mine haven't arrived yet ...
somewhere over the Pacific :-)

Michael

garetjax
Jan 6, 2003, 05:25 PM

I've been able to use packing material that came with the computer to fashion keyboard covers to protect the screen. You can usually find material in the box made of thin foam that you can cut to fit the keyboard exactly. My problem is that I keep misplacing these sheets or someone will mistake it for trash and toss it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules