Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning G4 1ghz powerbook Screen. Recomendations?

Cleaning G4 1ghz powerbook Screen. Recomendations?
caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2002, 07:00 PM

Need some suggestions on cleaning my powerbook screen It has some smudges and I need to clean it. What should I get to do this? Anyone have any suggestions I am scared to even touch it with a feather.

Casey
Casey Gittings

sydric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2002, 07:14 PM

I use Klear Screen. It is recommended by Apple.

I got it from the MacSmith.

http://www.themacsmith.com/klear.html

sydric
1 GHz PB G4 with SuperDrive, 1Gig RAM
GigeMac w/SuperDrive, 768 MB RAM
600 MHz iMac, 512 MB RAM

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by caseygittings:
Need some suggestions on cleaning my powerbook screen It has some smudges and I need to clean it. What should I get to do this? Anyone have any suggestions I am scared to even touch it with a feather.

Casey
dont be scared. i use my feather duster to clean dust off my PB. as your cleaning your screen, i use Kleen & Dry CRT screen cleaning pad. they work fine for me. always used them on all my CRTS & LCD laptops. we even provide these to all our users that need to clean their monitors/laptop screen at work...

Kleer screen is good too...
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2002, 08:05 PM

With all the products out there today, I have found this method to have the best results:

Get a cup of water. Put two or three drops of liquid soap (dishwashing detergent,etc.) and mix gently. Use a soft cloth or towel and moisten with this solution. Wipe the screen gently with the moistened cloth. Use a dry soft cloth or towel to lightly buff the screen dry. Presto! As good as new!

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2002, 08:07 PM

hehe does that mean all these solutions are for the 1GHZ POWERBOOK and not others =] damn u guys making me jealous.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by jwtseng:
With all the products out there today, I have found this method to have the best results:

Get a cup of water. Put two or three drops of liquid soap (dishwashing detergent,etc.) and mix gently. Use a soft cloth or towel and moisten with this solution. Wipe the screen gently with the moistened cloth. Use a dry soft cloth or towel to lightly buff the screen dry. Presto! As good as new!
I second jwtseng. These cleaning solutions are not worth a dime, I wouldn't get them.
I've been cleaning various LCD-screens with warm water and a dry towel only and always got them clean. Sometimes, my LCD was really dirty b/c I sometimes, I happen to smoke But warm water is the best.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2002, 10:34 PM

How is the best way to clean the outside of it? I got few smudges and such I would like to get rid of.

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2002, 11:18 PM

How if about if I want to make my own keyboard cover for when the 'book is closed. Any materials I should stay away from? Does simple cotton work fine, or felt?

Cheers

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2002, 02:31 AM

Use vinegar and water and a soft cotton cloth to clean your LCD. Even the Klear Screen website FAQ http://www.klearscreen.com/
suggests vinegar and water, while saying it doesn't have the antistatic properties of their product.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by adamberti:
How if about if I want to make my own keyboard cover for when the 'book is closed. Any materials I should stay away from? Does simple cotton work fine, or felt?

Cheers
Everything that is not going to fuzz will be fine.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules