Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wolfenstein benchmarks

Wolfenstein benchmarks
keysersoze
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 01:47 AM

Hi guys.

I have a favor to ask. For those of you with new 1GHz Tibooks who also own Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I was hoping to get some frames per second(fps) benchmarks from you.

You see, I have noticed a ridiculous difference in frame rate between the OS X and OS 9 version of the game. Such a vast difference it's making me wonder whether my system is "normal."

For continuity's sake, just set the video settings to the defaults that were in place when you installed the game. Also make sure to install it in both OS X and OS 9. Then, play the first level of single player mode. To look at the fps you are getting, bring down the console with the "~" key, and type "/cg_drawfps 1" without the quotation marks.

For OS X, I am only getting about 20-30 fps. But for OS 9, I'm getting almost 80! Is anyone else getting the same results??? On my Powermac 867 Quicksilver, the numbers are very very close across the two operating systems... Strange.

Thanks to all who reply!

caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 02:49 AM

I have a 1ghz powerbook I seem to be getting 15 average fps and I have 1gig of ram and I have it on the highest settings. With a resolution of 800x600. This doesnt seem to great.
Casey Gittings

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 03:44 AM

Not to sound hostile, but until someone's able to come up with a standardized benchmark for Wolfenstein, all these numbers mean nothing.

Lightmap lighting severely limits framerate. 32-bit color also puts additional load onto the GPU. Run the game with the "Normal" settings and execute a "timedemo" or something like that.

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2002, 04:48 AM

yo sean, how man fps do you get in q3? got some "l337" settings that'll make it fast and look ok?
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 06:38 AM

1024x768 32bit I am getting like 40-60 fps...
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 10:27 AM

If there's such a huge difference between OS X and OS 9 on the new Powerbook, and not on anything else, might we not infer that someone up at ATI hasn't gotten around to finishing the OS X drivers for the Mobility Radeon 9000?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by photoeditor:
If there's such a huge difference between OS X and OS 9 on the new Powerbook, and not on anything else, might we not infer that someone up at ATI hasn't gotten around to finishing the OS X drivers for the Mobility Radeon 9000?
They havn't. Both the Radeon 9000 on the Power Mac G4 and the Radeon 9000 Mobility on the PowerBook G4 use the old 8500 driver.

MacRooster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 01:45 PM

Hi CheesePuff,

Any idea where we can find more out about this? Do you know if they're available for OS 9, but not for X, or is it that OS X is very picky about its drivers and underperforms without 'em?

How do we get hold of OS X video driver updates for TiBooks - are they supposed to be intelligently downloaded as part of the software updates?

ATI's site suggests that laptop manufacturers will make drivers suited to their own models available when ready. But how does Apple handle this nowadays? It doesn't look like display drivers can be downloaded on their own, so does Apple make it known when such drivers are included for specific cards in general system updates?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules