Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Please Help Need to connect to my pc from my powerbook 1ghz

Please Help Need to connect to my pc from my powerbook 1ghz
caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 07:13 PM

I want to be able to have access to my pc from my powerbook over the internet. I have dsl and someone said that I would need a static ip in order to do this. I have gotten remote desktop but can seem to get it to work. I am not talking about the apple remote desktop program . I am talking about the program offered by microsoft fo remote acces from osx to a windows machine. It basically just displays the screen from your pc onto your mac. I have windows 2000 server on my pc and have tried everything but cant solve it. I have created a server in windows but I am not really sure I am doing it right. I start the program to login and it says not found. I have gotten as far as seeing my powerbook in my windows network neighborhood but still no go. Anyone know if I can do timbuktu with dsl and what do I need to do it. Do I need a copy for both windows and osx.
Casey Gittings

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2002, 07:36 PM

You need to have Terminal Server installed on your Win2000 Server. It can be added easily in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel under Windows components.

You do not need a static ip at home to do this. You'd only need a static ip if you were connecting from work to your home computer.

Timbuktu will also work easily. You will need to buy a copy for each machine. However, the Remote Desktop/terminal Server route is free and works well too.
Vandelay Industries

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:

You do not need a static ip at home to do this. You'd only need a static ip if you were connecting from work to your home computer.
Isn't that what he wants to do? I think he wants to be able to connect over the Internet.

Unless I read it wrong? caseygittings -- do you want to connect from one to the other while both machines are at home, or while you are out in the field with your Powerbook?

jjokerski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2002, 09:42 AM

I thought that Microsoft's remote desktop connect required XP pro, no?

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 09:57 AM

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

BTW, you only need to KNOW your IP Address so you can connect. If it changes big deal, as long as you know what it is. They are several ways to keep track of your IP Address. The main reason to have a static IP Address is if you (or someone else) are doing name resolution for your machine.

milhous
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by jjokerski:
I thought that Microsoft's remote desktop connect required XP pro, no?
Windows XP's Remote Desktop is a lite version of Terminal Services. Any Mac with the RDC Client can connect to any XP Box or any Windows Server with Terminal Services installed.

I hope their next version of RDC will support multiple sessions at a time.

The VNC implementation for Windows isn't that great in my opinion compared to other commercial options. But it nevertheless gets the job done at no cost.

edit: Also for those whose companies use Citrix, you can download the Mac client free of charge.

edit2: Looks like the Citrix ICA Client is available for both OS 9 and X.
( Last edited by milhous; Nov 26, 2002 at 12:21 PM. )
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules