Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem Installing 10.3 on an iMac

Problem Installing 10.3 on an iMac
maxwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 01:02 PM

Can anyone lend a hand here? I'm trying to install 10.3 on a slot-loading iMac that currently has 10.0.4 and OS 9, the firmware is current, 10.0.4 is all the way on, and it meets all the requirements (fast G3, more than enough RAM, etc...).
When I try to install it, I get as far as selecting the HD to install on. The HD icon has a red dot with an exclamation point on it, and says "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot upgrade this version of Mac OS X."
Of course, it won't tell my why I can't, and I'm drawing a blank everywhere I search. Help!!!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 01:04 PM

Is re-formatting the drive an option for you? Do you have your stuff backed up?

maxwall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 01:11 PM

It certainly is. There's nothing on the computer but 10.0.4 and 9.2 ... Is reformatting hard to do? What does it entail?

maxwall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Is re-formatting the drive an option for you? Do you have your stuff backed up?
It certainly is. There's nothing on the computer but 10.0.4 and 9.2 ... Is reformatting hard to do? What does it entail?

(Sorry, I replied to my own post, and not the response... :-) ).

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by maxwall:
What does it entail?
You should see an "Options" button during the install process, to which you'll want to choose and select "Erase and Install"...simple as that...

maxwall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 01:37 PM

You should see an "Options" button during the install process, to which you'll want to choose and select "Erase and Install"...simple as that...
Hmmm.... No Dice. Part of the problem is that it has me stopped at the screen where I select the destination, and doesn't go to the installation screen following. There's an erase option in the disk utility, but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go. There's nothing on this iMac. It's practically new, it just has the 2 OSs on it...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 01:40 PM

If you can erase the drive through Disk Utility, then that's just fine...

maxwall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 02:03 PM

So you think if I erase the drive, and then try an install, it should allow me to install on the HD? Will it erase 9, too (it's important that the computer be able to use Classic/9...)

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 02:33 PM

So you think if I erase the drive, and then try an install, it should allow me to install on the HD? Will it erase 9, too (it's important that the computer be able to use Classic/9...)
When you erase the drive, you get rid of everything. Wipe the drive, then install Panther. Once Panther is installed, you can reinstall OS 9. You could do it the other way around I guess but I'd be safe and install Panther to see if it actually works.

maxwall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 02:34 PM

No Dice here, either. I erased it, and now it says it can't do it because there's not an earlier version of OS X on it. The main issue with this is that we don't want to upgrade, we want to replace, and we have all 3 Install discs to replace it. I'm restoring the prior OS.... Is there some way to tell the 10.3 disc to just do it all anew, rather than try to upgrade what is there currently (which is nothing...)? If it would just let us get to the install/select screen, this wouldn't be an issue....

maxwall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
When you erase the drive, you get rid of everything. Wipe the drive, then install Panther. Once Panther is installed, you can reinstall OS 9. You could do it the other way around I guess but I'd be safe and install Panther to see if it actually works.
Hmm... I just learnt that I may be trying to install this from an upgrade disc, when what I really need is the full version.
What's the stepladder like for the 10.3 upgrade? In other words, what's the oldest OS you can upgrade from? I have 10.1.2.... I just hadn't put it on yet.... Hoping I can make the leap!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 02:52 PM

Hmm... I just learnt that I may be trying to install this from an upgrade disc, when what I really need is the full version.
What's the stepladder like for the 10.3 upgrade? In other words, what's the oldest OS you can upgrade from? I have 10.1.2.... I just hadn't put it on yet.... Hoping I can make the leap!
Answer.

Get the full version.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 03:36 PM

Can anyone lend a hand here? I'm trying to install 10.3 on a slot-loading iMac that currently has 10.0.4 and OS 9, the firmware is current, 10.0.4 is all the way on, and it meets all the requirements (fast G3, more than enough RAM, etc...).
When I try to install it, I get as far as selecting the HD to install on. The HD icon has a red dot with an exclamation point on it, and says "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot upgrade this version of Mac OS X."
Of course, it won't tell my why I can't, and I'm drawing a blank everywhere I search. Help!!!
Launch Software Update and let it find and download the correct software.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by KaBlooey:
Launch Software Update and let it find and download the correct software.
Yea that wont work since 10.3 is a huge upgrade to 10.x. He should be able to use the upgrade CD to install Panther though I'm not sure why.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 28, 2004, 02:50 PM

When you get to the part of the installer where you choose the disk, press the Options... button.

Then you should be able to choose "Archive and Install", which does NOT erase the disk, but DOES install a totally fresh install of OS X (not an upgrade install over the old one). Press OK to leave the dialog. Now the hard drive should be a valid install location.

Of course, you also need to be sure you have 2GB+ of hard disk space available.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules