Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > www.apple.com- nice

www.apple.com- nice
suthercd
Senior User
Dec 3, 2001, 09:39 PM

Take a look. 'nuf said.

Craig

FAerrorTAL
Dec 3, 2001, 09:41 PM

i saw that earlier. such class, kudos and hats off and all that. apple makes me proud nearly every day.
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2001, 10:01 PM

Famous dead guys selling computers = class.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2001, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>Famous dead guys selling computers = class.</STRONG>
I think there is a fine line between acknowledging the death of a great revolutionary musician and using their death to sell this or that.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2001, 10:35 PM

Wow. And I thought *I* was cynical.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 10:44 PM

when i die i want to be a think different symbol @ apple.com!
but apple, don't expect to sell many machines with my photo on the main page!

BTP
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2001, 10:56 PM

Apple has been a class act for a lot of years. This, while welcome, is not unexpeceted.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2001, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by BTP:
<STRONG>Apple has been a class act for a lot of years. This, while welcome, is not unexpeceted.</STRONG>
Ya, I was first thinking "class" when they used Gandhi to sell powermac's. I'm sure he would have approved

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2001, 12:13 AM

I didn't see the 'Buy the George Harrison Dual Spiritual 800mhz G4. Click here' button anywhere.

It's a bloody nod of acknowledgement to a cultural icon. It IS class, because it shows restraint, and it pays respect without crossing the line.

But thank you for your valued contribution.
Computer thez nohhh...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2001, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
<STRONG>

I didn't see the 'Buy the George Harrison Dual Spiritual 800mhz G4. Click here' button anywhere.

It's a bloody nod of acknowledgement to a cultural icon. It IS class, because it shows restraint, and it pays respect without crossing the line.

But thank you for your valued contribution. </STRONG>
Uhh. no. It's called brand recognition, this time without any monies (that we know of) going to their estate. (Even if they did donate to a charity in their name, I'd say it's tacky.)

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2001, 12:26 AM

Yeah, and all those damn websites out there that had tributes to those who died on September 11th, well they shouldn't have had those either! They were only their selfish attempts to sell more of product x.

You've just committed a big-old fallacy: the Intent fallacy. It is impossible for one to know the intent of another person, even if told specifically by that other person.

F-bacher

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2001, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
<STRONG>

But thank you for your valued contribution. </STRONG>
You're welcome. And the difference is that they have been using famous DEAD icons to sell computers through brand recognition. You can look up what that means.
This latest one is just another shot at that.

This is also much different then Sept 11 as they didn't make posters and print ads about it for 3 years.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2001, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
<STRONG>Yeah, and all those damn websites out there that had tributes to those who died on September 11th, well they shouldn't have had those either! They were only their selfish attempts to sell more of product x.

You've just committed a big-old fallacy: the Intent fallacy. It is impossible for one to know the intent of another person, even if told specifically by that other person.

F-bacher</STRONG>
Interestingly I don't see such pix on the Apple site when other people of note die. However, George Harrison meets a large portion of the target audience of the Mac hardware and software. Even if my supposition were a fallacy, it still looks tacky. One can pay tribute in much more subtle and tactful ways.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2001, 12:37 AM

They put him on their front page, they haven't made any posters, as far as I can tell. There's no "Think Different" slogo at the bottom.

Oh, I'm really suprised this argument that you can't use dead people has gotten this far without a lot of flak. Tons of companies use gimmicks involving past American heros that died in the revolutionary war to sell products and services. I'm sure they all endorse the products that their images are used to endorse.

Anyway, I highly doubt Uncle Steve was jumping for joy with a great marketing stratgey centering around the death of George Harrison (although I can never know). If I ran a company, one that always pushed the fold and had a slogan like "Think Different," I'd be nuts not to remember the death of a member of the Beatles who did the same thing back in the 60's.

But maybe you're right.

F-bacher

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2001, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
<STRONG>
Interestingly I don't see such pix on the Apple site when other people of note die. However, George Harrison meets a large portion of the target audience of the Mac hardware and software. Even if my supposition were a fallacy, it still looks tacky. One can pay tribute in much more subtle and tactful ways.</STRONG>
Such as...? Frontpage tribute does it for me. Would u prefer them to have it in the "Hot news" section? Or maybe one of those little buttons that are normally at the bottom of the page?

F-bacher

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2001, 12:44 AM

<STRONG>They put him on their front page, they haven't made any posters, as far as I can tell. There's no "Think Different" slogo at the bottom.
</STRONG>
"Watch a QuickTime movie about George Harrison on cnn.com"

P L U G!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2001, 12:47 AM

<STRONG>

P L U G!</STRONG>
Yeah, they could have said movie, or they could have even referenced a windows media player version... as if they should rip off any identifiers on any coffins that dead people are buried in. Heaven forbid it be advertising in a time for sorrow or morning. Get over it. This isn't that big of a deal.

F-bacher

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2001, 12:53 AM

<STRONG> Get over it. This isn't that big of a deal.

F-bacher</STRONG>
Honestly I don't care. You seem hung up on reloading the page and defending it though.

To each his own but the last word I would use for it is "class".

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2001, 01:00 AM

<STRONG>

Honestly I don't care. You seem hung up on reloading the page and defending it though.

To each his own but the last word I would use for it is "class".</STRONG>
Wait, this isn't slashdot I was just bored - work is slow. No lemmings in the computer lab forgetting how to insert their floppy disks the right way

F-bacher

iBabo
Senior User
Dec 4, 2001, 01:08 AM

sheesh, im guess someone at apple, like SJ, is a big Beatles fan

R.I.P George...you will truly be missed
smile like you mean it.

LtKernelPanic
Dec 4, 2001, 01:19 AM

I think it's a nice tribute on Apple's part to one helluva musican. I highly doubt by putting George Harrison's picture on the mainpage that they were hoping it'd make people want to buy a Mac.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2001, 01:30 AM

quote:

P L U G!

Yeah, they could have said movie, or they could have even referenced a windows media player version... as if they should rip off any identifiers on any coffins that dead people are buried in. Heaven forbid it be advertising in a time for sorrow or morning. Get over it. This isn't that big of a deal.

F-bacher
I think the "quicktime" was more the result of a standing rule from the pr department than any sly attempt at advertising. More like brand management in that ANY time the quicktime format is used, it HAS to be listed as a "quicktime movie." Probably so they don't lose the brand/copyright.
Backup your Backup

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2001, 02:10 AM

You want cynical. I'll show you cynical.

If it isn't an attempt to exploit Harrison's death to move inventory, then surely it is a particularly grotesque display of boomer solipsistic sentimentality.

Anyone else wanna give it a go? Really -- loads of fun.
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2001, 03:58 AM

Apple's a profit-motivated business firm, ergo everything it does is intended to increase the bottom line of its balance sheets. That's the gospel of our neo-liberal society, mates! ;-) (More than that, its a key aspect of the law of corporations...)

That said, Harrison may have been an icon -- even a sensitive and brooding and thoughtful icon -- but he was just a strummer. Never really did much of great note (which is not to derogate his extraordinary contributions to the arts, just to place them in cultural context).

You want crass, take the nadir of Apple's "Advertise Different" campaign, in which it shamelessly hijacked the image, reputation, and significance of Gandhi and the Dalai Lama. That's not only crass but insulting to the intelligence and politics of anyone who was aware enough to understand the ad. There's nothing "different" about selling computers -- at least not on the same scale that measures genocide, military occupation, resistance, and some of the greatest political horrors and victories of the 20th Century.

Maybe Steve-o shoulda donated some of his and Apple's cash to Bangla Desh, or to rebuild Afghanistan, or to organize against the military junta in Burma... that might have been a fitting tribute to Harrison's ideals.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2001, 07:25 AM

<STRONG>

P L U G!</STRONG>
Would you have preferred or expected Windows Media Player?
weird wabbit

Red Commet
Dec 4, 2001, 08:00 AM

I thought it had to do with the name of the company.
The name. There are two legends about the name and logo of Apple Computer. It may have been inspired by the mathematician Alan Turing who opened up the field of computer research notably with the enigma machine and his ficitonal Turing machine. Turing committed suicide by biting in to a poisoned apple, hence the logo. The other legend is that the founders of what would be Apple were sitting around the table. One of them was eating an apple and told the others that if they could not come up with a name, they might as well name the company after this apple. Some people also claim that Apple was named after Apple Records, the Beatles' recording company, and even other people claim that it was named after the apple that supposedly fell on Newton's head and made him discover the laws of gravity. Apple Records later sued Apple Computers for the name, and they agreed that Apple Computers could keep the name as long as they kept out of the musics business. Of course, Apple Computers eventually introduced quite advanced sound capabilities into their Macintosh Computers, which Apple Records didn't really like. Apple Computers therefore introduced a new system sound (a "beep") called "Sosumi" - "so sue me".
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Apple_Computer

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2001, 08:09 AM

Sheesh there is as far as I can see NO advertising and they are linking to another company CNN..

The fact that it says quicktime is not really a factor as most downloads on eversite say quicktime vers needed of Window's media required this is apples site so you expect a quicktime link there is no real advertizing here you look to deaply at this dude's... (And Dudette's)

Cheers Edd

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2001, 09:36 AM

tacky.

don't know about their intentions... but garamond and those b/w shots. It LOOKS like an Apple Ad.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2001, 10:18 AM

It is the Christmas season. Apple has lots of goodies to sell, and what do they put on their home page - "George Harrison 1943-2001". Does that make you want to jump up and buy an iPod?

Now look at Amazon.com or M$.com - buy buy buy (and no bye-bye George)

You see what you look for, but I think Apple is a class act.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2001, 10:25 AM

You people are a perfect example of why advertising works.

Picture this, the marketing people in Apple say, ok George is dead. Lets slap a picture of him of him up on the web site and:

1) People will think we are a "class act"
2) We can link to a QUICKTIME video of George. This will encourage people to download the QuickTime plugin then next week we can have a press release stating that we have 300,000 QT downloads a day.
3) This will also remind people of our Think Different campaign.

And they seem to know what they are doing as you fell for it.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2001, 10:37 AM

If it sells, Apple would have Bill Gate on its website's index page all year long! What about that law suit regarding the name of the company, and what about that kid who dared to THINK DIFFERENT by registering imac.com and was forced by Apple to shut down... Shameless

My thoughts are just mine!

dhi
Dec 4, 2001, 11:17 AM

Why the flaming?

Why be cynical all the time?

I think Apple acknowledges that they have a community of like minded individuals - why not acknowledge GH? Lots of newspapers (which depend on a community of like minded individuals) publish obituaries why not Apple? - if it seems to connect with the people at Apple and their perceived community...

If you think of the people who started Apple George Harrison would have been one of those who thought different and whom they identified with. And yes "Think Different" is a slogan - but for a certain generation it does mesh with their way of thinking. Those of the Hippy Generation really did consider they thought different ... and by golly - perhaps they did - after all look what they have done.

I think Apple (or the people within Apple if you like) are just going - "We identify with that person and that generation"

You know my first reaction was "58 - that's too young to die!"..... I'm firmly a Gen X (if it is possible to be such a thing - since identifying with anything is meant to be anathema) - the Beatles were the equivilent to me of Nirvana to most of you - but the passing of George Harrison does mean something... I mean - I remember where I was when I heard that John Lennon died...

No I don't want to be cynical - I refuse...

(and stop the knee jerk flaming - it is unbecoming)

[oh and I should remember not to post when I've been drinkng.... ]

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2001, 12:07 PM

At almost every iTunes demo or demo where Jobs plays music, the Beatles is one of his choices.

Hmmm... So maybe Steve is a Beatles fan. Shock!! Don't you think it's possible that he called up the webmasters and said, "Put Harrison's picture on the front page." Don't you think it's possible that he actually respected the man, and since he has this company with a website, that he could honor the guy by putting that on the front page?

Oh, I forgot, everything revolves around money. Every intent has money behind it.

Also, for obvious reasons, I'm moving this to the Lounge.

Here is a link directly to the thread in the Lounge

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Xeo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules