Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power supply fubar'd?

Power supply fubar'd?
tobes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 08:56 AM

Hey all,

I plugged my charger in this evening as I normally do and nothing happened. No charging no cool funky light thing around the plug nada. Anyway I replugged a couple of times and still nothing. Then I noticed that the adapter was quite warm and there is a burny type smell coming from it.

Is there a way to test if the thing is screwed? Can it be reset or whatever? It really is a bad time for me not to have power for it. I have a thesis due in a few weeks and it has all my data on it.

Tobes
( Last edited by tobes; Oct 7, 2003 at 04:13 AM. )

MSME
Oct 4, 2003, 12:31 PM

The power adapter died (stopped working like yours did) on my iBook back in July. Leading up to its death, it began to work sporadically; sometimes lighting up when I plugged it in, and sometimes not. I didn't notice any kind of smell though. I took it to an Apple Store and they replaced it under warranty.

If your machine is no longer under warranty, I think you'll be out around $70 for a new power supply.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

Nawus
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 12:42 PM

Happened to my ibook 500 and had to replaced adapter. I had the round one which came with the ibook but replaced with an updated square unit.

BannanaFiend
Oct 5, 2003, 10:46 PM

Does anyone know a good place to get a replacement power adaptor for one of the old, colored ibooks? My roomate's just went bad, and he doesn't really relish the idea of spending 70 bucks. A third party item would be ok if nessesary.

Thanks
A history: Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz, Quickilver 1.2MP, iBook 600 DVD, Beige G3 266, Performa 638CD, Quadra 610 w/CD

tobes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 04:12 AM

Well, I am waiting for a new power supply to be deleivered under warranty and borrowed someone elses power adapter.

Anyway something very screwy is going on. I had it turned on and bumped it. I suddenly got horizontal lines down one side of teh screen. IT kept workig so I jsut carried on. adjusted the screen, the lines returned and it froze. I rebooted, it did the same thing again and froze somewhere between typing my password in and completing the log on.

Rebooted again, screen went gray and then, (now this is totally wierd) the screen started going black from one corner until eventually the whole screen was black. It looked kinda like a pool of water spreading or something.

I have removed the battery and am going to let it sit and think about what it has done over night. TOmorrow I will bring in my OS disks etc.

Any suggestions guys? I really need this computer working, I have just on a month till my thesis is due.

tobes

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 12, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by BannanaFiend:
Does anyone know a good place to get a replacement power adaptor for one of the old, colored ibooks? My roomate's just went bad, and he doesn't really relish the idea of spending 70 bucks. A third party item would be ok if nessesary.
They all cost around $80, regardless of brand.

I'd suggest Madsonline's adapter, because it's tiny... for the same $ as Apple's, their adapter is much smaller and lighter.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules