Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Easy Grip and Protection for Aluminum PB Tips

Easy Grip and Protection for Aluminum PB Tips
Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 07:32 PM

My 12 inch Aluminum Powerbook didn't look anywhere near as rugged as my iBook. The iBook has taken several three foot fall onto uncarpetted floors without any problems. I don't think the Aluminum would do as well.

So I picked up the following.....

a. 1 roll of rubber tape from Home Depot's electrical department. (This isn't plastic electrical tape nor friction tape. It is RUBBER tape)

b. Some sheets of Avery brand self adhesive laminating film. You only need two but get extras in case you goof while laying down the film.

Now my PB is protected from scratches on its top and edges. It is also MUCH easier to grip securely. I can pick it up with two fingers without any difficulty.

The Avery laminating sheet was affixed to the top surface of the PB. Small strips were also put on the edges and flat areas next to the touch pad. This gives some scratch resistance and is easily removable.

Rubber tape was then placed around the top and bottom edges. A few strips across the bottom of the case also were attached. This makes the machine ridiculously easy to hold. The rubber tape strips on the bottom also keep it from sliding off surfaces. The tape looks pretty good if you carefully trim it. It also peals off cleanly.

I wouldn't cover the bottom surface of the machine lest heat transfer suffer. After a few weeks, the fan doesn't come on with any greater freqeuncy.

So there you go. A little protection from surface scratches and slippage out of your hands for a few bucks. I couldn't imagine carrying it around all day without the rubber grips. Makes a huge difference.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 07:40 PM

i hope those can come off without any residue. anyhow, care to post some pics?
Ryan

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 07:45 PM

pix please...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 07:52 PM

Yes... Some pics are in order.

I tried something like that with my old 3400c back in the day, except I used black fine grain skateboard "grip-tape" (sorta like sandpaper) - it was my homemade "Grip it Strips" - which , by the way looked retarded.

I was thinking about doing it again when I finally receive my BTO 15" (Apple says OOB November 24th ), but this time with the new clear grip-tape.

... Anyways, I wanna see your setup!
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 12:17 AM

And people think that my use of latex gloves whilst handling my 12" is bizarre. Hmmm.
I, ASIMO.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
And people think that my use of latex gloves whilst handling my 12" is bizarre. Hmmm.
It is.

Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 02:41 AM

I am a bit confused.

So, you don't want your PB to start looking all bad from scratches and stuff.. so you wrap it in tape and paper. And that looks better?

baglunch
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
Yes... Some pics are in order.

I tried something like that with my old 3400c back in the day, except I used black fine grain skateboard "grip-tape" (sorta like sandpaper) - it was my homemade "Grip it Strips" - which , by the way looked retarded.

I was thinking about doing it again when I finally receive my BTO 15" (Apple says OOB November 24th ), but this time with the new clear grip-tape.

... Anyways, I wanna see your setup!
Instead of griptape, you might want to find what's called "rip-grip" also a skateboard product, it's adhesive backed with either a (hard) foam with a nylon mesh layer on top or a thin felt like material. The thin ones were made by Alva, and the thick chunky ones were made by Santa Cruz and they all can in various colors shapes and sizes, here's some examples:

alva:
http://www.oldschoolskates.com/images/Alva%20Grip.htm (on sale: http://www.oldschoolskates.com/Ripgrip.asp)

santa cruz:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=16263

I wouldn't recommend griptape because it's TOO sticky, and depending on the brand of grip, the adhesive may seperate from the sheet of grip when you try to remove it.

Another thought is shelf paper, if you cut it exact it could be a nice change of pace. Personally i'm waiting the 17" version of macSkinz: http://www.macskinz.com/cgi-bin/desi...page=I&more=41

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 02:55 AM

I also considered a gritty traction tape, but I was afraid that the grit might come off and scratch the machine. So, Plymouth 127 Linerless Rubber Splicing tape was the answer. (Plymouth Rubber Company Cat. No. 2262) It isn't very sticky so you have to press it on firmly onto a freshly cleaned surface. Peels off easily. A little too easily, but no residue is left when you take it off.

Here is the Powerbook with rubber tape and clear laminating film in place. The Avery film is nearly invisible. I've done the Avery film on our Titanium. It peels off very cleanly as does the rubber tape.

BTW, a piece of Avery laminating film works great on the trackpad as well.

( Last edited by Guy Kuo; Nov 19, 2003 at 10:26 AM. )

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 03:23 AM

I take it you're the guy everyone calls "Butterfingers", and in grade school everyone knew not to throw you the football.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2003, 04:03 AM

That looks terrible. A junior school project gone wrong. Just get yourself a good sleeve.

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
That looks terrible. A junior school project gone wrong. Just get yourself a good sleeve.
Unfortunately, a sleeve is unsuitable for the situation. It is not used at a fixed location where I can unsleeve it once or a few times a day. The machine serves as a super pda and gets turned on, off, and gets carried to another location with me every hour or so. I need to flip it open with zero fuss and be running in a few seconds. When it is time to go, it's time to go now, not after a few seconds from now. Putting it in and out of a sleeve in order to use it simply would be too cumbersome for its constant on the go work.

ddma
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 06:03 AM

Are you the photographer spotted in the Apple PowerBook G4 Aluminum intro video? I think that guy has the exact ugly thing on his Titanium PowerBook G4. I saw that while he was showing off his notebook to some very poor african students who may not be able to afford the Apple products in their entire life!!!

mc786030
Nov 19, 2003, 08:17 AM

what a waste...

pknoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 11:33 AM

Sounds to me like to GuyKuo, his PB is a -tool-, not decoration. If his solution works for him, it works for him.

I don't think I'd do that with my 15", but then, I don't need to. I don't move it as much as he clearly does, and so a sleeve works for me.

It's hardly a "waste", he hasn't ruined anything, and even if he had, so what? It's his PowerBook. Not yours. I'm glad he posted here and included pictures; if that mod is appealing to someone else here, then good for both of them.

This is a forum. Discuss. =)
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz / 2GB / X800XT
PowerMac G3 400MHz / 896MB
PowerBook G4 1GHz / 1GB
iBook SE G3 466MHz / 576MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules