Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wireless life...

wireless life...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2004, 10:32 PM

okay, maybe i am just happy, but...

sitting on the floor of my loft, at the opposite end from my desk, with my powerbook.

bluetooth mouse, new airport express.
playing itunes, printing a document.

NO cables; amazing.

truly a great time for powerbook users!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 11:07 PM

i got an airport basestation in 2000 on clearance. I never thought I would use it much.

Today, I don't know what I would do if I needed to plug in my powerbook for net access!

Nawus
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2004, 02:11 PM

Having wireless got me drinking much more coffee than I really should.D:sleep
and spending much more time in a coffee shop instead of my office.

Snake
Aug 5, 2004, 02:12 PM

Heh, I had a wireless internet router in my house for about a year, and right when I purchase my Powerbook, my D-Link router decides it doesn't like working wirelessly any longer.

That next day I had to buy another wireless router, I don't know what the heck I would do without that thing.

Sidenote: From my experience and the experience of close friends, D-Link and LinkSys wireless routers don't hold up very well. Now, my Powerbook using friend and I use Netgear routers, they seem to be very Apple friendly, if you don't have the cash to shell out for the Airport (luxury in my opinion ).
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Snake:
Sidenote: From my experience and the experience of close friends, D-Link and LinkSys wireless routers don't hold up very well. Now, my Powerbook using friend and I use Netgear routers, they seem to be very Apple friendly, if you don't have the cash to shell out for the Airport (luxury in my opinion ).

just an observation: my netgear "b" router worked okay; switched to a d-link "g" router and was much better.

at the moment, tho, the airport express is the champ. 5 bars on the airport display (as opposed to 4 or 3 dlink, 3 netgear)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

skelotar
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2004, 02:25 PM

Your problem may lie in the fact that those routers aren't ipv6 compatible. Try turning it off on your mac or macs and you should be able to use your old routers once again. If that was in fact the problem.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2004, 06:44 PM

I have a Linksys Wireless B router from about when they came out... it's been here for years. Anyway, I agree wireless is great... I'm usually outside using the powerbook at night when it's nice out!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

nate_02
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 06:58 PM

My mom could never understand why I would want to sit in front of the TV in the living room surfing the web. Now I had to create an account just for her on my PB so she can check her mail and surf ebay.
-nate

gbarill
Aug 6, 2004, 03:47 AM

i love wireless internet. in fact, i'm sitting on my front porch right now, it's a beautiful night and i can hear the waves pounding on lake huron just down the street (it's great, it's like a giant white noise machine)
this is definately the life..

Snake
Aug 6, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by skelotar:
Your problem may lie in the fact that those routers aren't ipv6 compatible. Try turning it off on your mac or macs and you should be able to use your old routers once again. If that was in fact the problem.
I was thinking it was something Mac specific, but it couldn't have been, because my previous roommate used his iBook while staying with us (roughly 4 months). It worked fine for him, something just happened on that day I got the PB, I spend 30 minutes on the phone with D-Link tech support, only to have them tell me to send it back for replacement. It was an odd situation, but based on how long it took me to try one wireless configuration after another in the web-based settings menu, I was fed up. It didn't work right to begin with, so I wasn't surprised it was broken.

Anywho, my netgear works fantastically, right out of the box.
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 10:33 AM

Though most of you know no doubt, I will post this for any newbees out there who are interested in finding hotspots anywhere in the USA:

http://www.jiwire.com/index.htm

I got my Powerbook back from repair and they must have switched wireless on. At the job my Powerbook asked if I wanted to accept the incomming wireless signal. One clik and I am on the net. Didn't even know my job had wireless...or if it is even legal to be on or not...

..but it's fun!

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 10:46 AM

I just picked up my Airport Express. Can't wait to get home and try it out ... (I'm @ work right now).

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

-Q-
Aug 6, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by d.fine:
I just picked up my Airport Express. Can't wait to get home and try it out ... (I'm @ work right now).
They rock. And they've really expanded the range of my network nicely.

And I can't imagine living w/out wireless access now. It's just so convenient. Looking up familiar faces on IMDB.com while watching TV/movie, find a great recipe on Epicurious and being able to try it in the kitchen w/out having to print. It's really changed the way I live.

drive-thru
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 12:20 PM

I don't really understand the point of wireless keyboards & mice. I'm not talking about Airport, which is useful (and I use it), but why do people want to spend more money on a wireless keyboard and mouse, especially if they own a desktop computer?

I really don't see much advantage to them, hoping someone can explain...

gbarill
Aug 6, 2004, 12:28 PM

not having a wireless keyboard and mouse, i would guess the real advantage would be the lack of wires cluttering up the desk and never having to plug/unplug them... also, ever had the cord to your mouse get caught on stuff on your desk and constantly get tugged around everytime you move your mouse? that's annoying..

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 01:56 PM

my new bluetooth mouse is changing the way i work.
yes, it's nice not to be constrained by wires.
but sometimes, i switch hands (to give my righthand a rest...am lefthanded anyway!)

and sometimes i use my mouse on the arm of my chair, just to sit back a bit (when surfing, scrolling etc).

just nice to have that freedom!

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
They rock. And they've really expanded the range of my network nicely.
Its awesome, and so easy to install, in a matter of minutes both the g5 and the pb were online, connected to the internet and to each other. I get 4 bars upstairs (furthest from ae), as well as 4 and sometimes 5 downstairs (closest to ae).

I've been using it for 10 minutes and I love it !!!

an0therdumbsn
Aug 6, 2004, 10:38 PM

Yeah having a wireless network at my house has been so nice, for a long time we used cat5 cables hardwired to a router which looked really dumb having wires coming out from me and my brothers room's.
Now that i have a lap top coming downstairs to type a report, view these boards, or just mess around is such a nice thing to be able to do.
We have a netgear router and i fluxuate between 2-4 bars regardless of where i am in the house.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 06:01 PM

I posted a new thread about AEX issues, but no one has responded, maybe someone here can help, here's the link

Thanks

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by d.fine:
I posted a new thread about AEX issues, but no one has responded, maybe someone here can help, here's the link

Thanks
That forum is locked, for whatever reason. If you have a cable modem, there'll be activity 24/7.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

trancepriest
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2004, 11:21 PM

Today I was at Starbucks using the tmobile hotspot (just signed up the day before)... the experience of surfing wirelessly combined with using Apples bluetooth mouse on the arm of the chair is really neat. Not to mention the response of some of the people walking by.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
If you have a cable modem, there'll be activity 24/7.
I have a cable modem. But when connected with a hardline the modem's activity LED is off when the Mac is in sleep or off. Since I connected the AEX both the modem and AEX activity LEDs blink non stop ... hence my question. Thanks for the reply.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 06:50 AM

Now if only my D-Link supported 802.11g, instead of tha "b". But yes definitive: Being wireless is the coolest thing. I've been wireless for a year now, and will probably never go back.

Airport Express is also very tempting for me, but I probably don't need to prioritize it right now since I don't copy files around my net to much. (AExpr. has the "g".)

Sniffer gone old-school sig

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 10:47 AM

My house has been wireless for a couple of years now. At first it was simply a novelty to be able to surf and check mail from the couch with a PowerBook, or move the PowerMac to a new location without worrying about an internet connection. Then wifey-poo gets a PowerBook and we suddenly have a burgeoning little network happening. Using the PowerMac as a central respository for files, wireless printing from either PowerBook anywhere in the house, and just the plain old conveneince of walking around with a laptop connected to the internet has suddenly become the norm. You start to take it for granted until you go someplace where you can't do all this. Then you realize how wireless has changed not only your computing experience, but really how you work and live. I don't know how many times a day I simply reach for my TiBook to look up something. Phone numbers, addresses, driving directions, product specs, tons of things. The convenience of wireless makes computers easier to integrate into your lifestyle and before you know it all that information at your fingertips is giving you all new ideas. Nifty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules