Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" or 15"

12" or 15"
colosodian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 01:47 AM

I love the 12" form factor, but can get a 15" powerbook for $1400. With the 12" only $100 cheaper, this is a dilemna. Ill be taking my powerbook with me almost everywhere I go, except out at night. I like to take notes in class with pen / paper, so I dont see that as a huge point.

Features I would gain:
1440 x 960 display vs 1024 x 768
128mb vram vs. 64mb vram (Ability to use 30" display)
1.67Ghz vs 1.5Ghz
2GB ram max vs. 1.25GB
Optical digital in/out
fw 800 port
gigabit ethernet
illuminated keyboard
hot-swap batteries

15" owners, how often do you use your powerbooks around the house / travel with them.

Any insight would be appriciated.
mini 1.25/1GB/40/combo on 2005fpw
Various PC's

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 03:40 AM

I switched from a 12" to a 15" for about the same price as you can get. I only travel with mine about once or twice a month, and the added weight hasn't been noticeable. Might be different if I commuted daily.

The big difference is the larger, brighter, higher -resolution screen, which lets me use it as a desktop replacement. It's much easier on my eyes, and the wide screen lets me use palettes in my apps more easily. I use it almost entirely for web surfing, email and writing. I do sometimes like to surf on the couch or recliner as well as at my desk and it's nice to not sacrifice brightness or screen size there or when I'm using it on the road.

I think at the prices you list, the 15" is a much better value. For just taking notes in class, they're probably about the same; maybe the 12" is a little easier to haul around. If you have a separate external monitor or desktop computer, the 12" is fine. But for extensive use, go for the 15".

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 04:00 AM

fyi the 15" powerbook can no longer be ordered from apple.

colosodian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 04:31 AM

Im aware of that, thanks.
Various PC's

NDBounce
Senior User
Feb 23, 2006, 12:23 PM

I have a 15" Powerbook, 1.5GHz, I love it. I travel everywhere with it. In my room I have it connected to a 24" Dell monitor, that works well. I prefer the 15" to the 12" for a couple of reasons, one being more monitor space, another being FW800 and a PC card slot. My dad and sister have a 12" and they love their machines as well.

Both machines are heavy. Obviously the 15" is heavier than the 12". When carrying them over long distances you can begin to feel their weight. I've gotten used to this, but I can see where it would be a pain for some.

Again, I travel quite often with my PB and it works well for me. It's a little tight on airline trays, but works great on Amtrak trains (especially when you get a seat next to a power source). I've had my PB for 22 months, my battery is at 93%, and gives me roughly 2-2.5 hours of real world usage (web surfing, word processing, light photoshop and Dreamweaver). I can generally watch a DVD on an airplane as well. But with the length of movies increasing, I found that it is more efficient to rip the DVD to your Hard Drive, and the watching it from the HD rather than spinning the DVD drive for an hour and a half.

So, to your question, both machines are very capable. Personally, I would go with the 15" if I were you, as it has a little more VRam and some expansion options that the 12" does not have. But both are great machines and will serve you well.

Peace,

O
B unce!

Belisarius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 12:30 PM

I recently sold my 12" PB and have (even more recently) replaced it with a 15" MBP, and I've gotta say that I'm already missing the form-factor on the 12". I don't at all regret making the switch, as the MBP is so much faster; the slowness of the 12" was really killing me. All that being said, however, if and when Apple releases a 12" (or better yet 13.3" widescreen) version of the MBP I'll probably sell the 15" and get one. Travel is just so much easier with the 12" and, to me at least, surfing from the couch, etc. is a lot more comfortable as well.

Should Apple only release the smaller form-factor as an iBook (MacBook?), then I'll have some hard decisions to make; my wife has the 12" iBook, and I really don't like it nearly as much as I liked my 12" PB. But, we'll cross that particular bridge when we come to it.

Kevin

worldwearyeyes
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 01:36 PM

I just switched from a 12" 1.5ghz, 1.25gb ram, 100gb hd to the latest 15" revision. I'm happy with the switch, but I do miss the light weight and mobility of th 12". If I were going to be taking it with me everyday, I would DEFINITELY go with the 12". With the set-up mine had, it ran pretty much just as fast as the 15" I now have. 1 pound and a few inches definitely make a difference in mobility.

Good luck...either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy your purchase!

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by colosodian
Im aware of that, thanks.
no need to get testy just tiring to be helpful...

colosodian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
no need to get testy just tiring to be helpful...
haha sorry, at 330 am, FYI sounded condescending.
Various PC's

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 08:14 PM

Will it become your main computer? If so, then the 15".

If it is a "satellite" computer (ie, you use a desktop when not on the move), and the compactness is more valuable than the capability, then consider the 12".

Personally, I'll be waiting for the MacBook Pro 12" or 13".

colosodian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 11:46 PM

I like to see myself as someone who adopts new technologies, but apple really has defined bleeding edge with these new macbook pros.

How many people who ordered them knew that the screen wouldnt tilt back enough to use on a stand, or that the second core would buzz, and nobody had any idea of the amount of heat that might be produced, or the battery life?
Various PC's

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by colosodian
I like to see myself as someone who adopts new technologies, but apple really has defined bleeding edge with these new macbook pros.

How many people who ordered them knew that the screen wouldnt tilt back enough to use on a stand, or that the second core would buzz, and nobody had any idea of the amount of heat that might be produced, or the battery life?
Agreed! Another benefit for waiting for alternate sizes of MacBook Pros - they'll squash the Rev. A bugs.

(To be fair though, there are ALWAYS these sorts of vocal complaints about any new Apple product, not just around "transitions." The company has very demanding users.)

neiltony
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 03:21 AM

You guys sound like whiney old ladies. Do you even realize that?

neiltony
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 03:27 AM

while you guys are standing around waiting for your "perfect" macbook, I'll be using my "almost perfect" macbook. And when a better one comes out, I'll sell this one on ebay, get at least a 2/3 return on my money, and get the new one. That's what you do when you use the best for working on. Rev. A bugs....bah humbugs!!!

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 04:14 AM

If its going to be your main computer, get the 15". If portability is your main issue, go with the 12". I've had both, but right now the 12" is a better fit for me, because of school.
13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
80GB iPod [WHITE] with iSee
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

Nawus
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 08:21 PM

I too just traded in my 15" for a 12" 1.5GB PB. Very happy w/ the 12". What a difference in portability!

Forum Links
Forum Rules