Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Uneven Backlight on New MBP

Uneven Backlight on New MBP
tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2007, 03:40 PM

The MBP that I just bought (15, 2.4, matte) has a noticeable gradient of brightness: the upper left corner is slightly brighter than the bottom right corner. This is very annoying when viewing solid-color apps, because it looks like there is a slight gradient when no gradient exists.

I was lucky enough not to get a dead pixel on this computer, and everything else is pristine. If I were to bring this back to the Apple Store (I bought it on Thursday), what could they do? Is it worth the risk of getting a computer with dead pixels or more uneven backlighting?

I am trying to assess how normal this problem is. Is this considered a major problem that few people experience, a minor problem on many computers that most people ignore, or what? I'm not sure how easy it will be to ignore this gradient, so I am trying to determine that vicariously .

Thanks!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2007, 08:44 PM

Anyone?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 16, 2007, 09:51 PM

I'd take it to the Apple store and see whats up, or at least check out the new MBP's on display and see if it exists. If its obvious (sounds like your case), then I am sure they will replace it for a new machine.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2007, 05:25 PM

Ugh, Apple found a way to screw up the LED backlights.

Let's hope this is just a one-off issue and not something systemic.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2007, 01:37 PM

I went to the Apple Store, and all the displays seemed to have this issue. It's really very annoying, and I'm not sure what I can do about it. I could get it replaced, but it seems that any replacement would have the same problem.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone dealing with graphics could settle for this, so I'm confused...

I think a lot of the problem stems from the viewing angle being truly horrible. I can't see the entire screen in one level of brightness from any one viewpoint!

Also, I've recently noticed that the sound produced by my MBP when I plug in my headphones is truly awful, with a loud fuzziness in the background and constant R2D2-like beeps and moans...

I've already been to the Apple Store three times, and I'm afraid that I'll piss them off if I go back! I'll wait about a week to see how I fair with this, but if I truly can't take it, I guess I'll need to take my chances on a new one?

P.S. I didn't mention that my ambient lighting sensors think it's dark when I use the P key!
( Last edited by tavilach; Jun 18, 2007 at 01:51 PM. )

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2007, 01:42 PM

Since its under warranty I'd switch to a new one and take your chances before your window of time to exchange is gone.

Honestly, Apple has a track record of having trouble with their first (and sometimes second) version of any feature/product. This might be one of those things where the screens just aren't quite there yet, but will be on the next version of the MBP.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2007, 01:45 PM

...which is very lame! I've waited 4 months for this revision because I didn't want a grainy screen, and now I simply cannot deal with my almost-broken PowerBook any longer.

ibook_steve
Jun 18, 2007, 09:15 PM

Picture?

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 09:25 PM

A picture isn't possible. The lighting unevenness in the photo would eclipse it.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 12:57 AM

I think the only option you have is getting the 17" with those non-LED screens; because I checked out the new MBP's at our university bookstore and you could notice the uneven screen. It was'nt too bad, but the pictures I looked at were mostly bright, no "solid" color pictures.

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 06:58 AM

As a person who was very very critical of the former MBP displays, I feel quite satisfied with the current LED-lit ones. They're generally very even. I think the extreme brightness makes any unevenness more visible and that's why PC laptops often look more even: they're generally much less bright (under 200cd/m2 vs 300cd/m2 to 400cd/m2 on the last two revisions of the MBPs ).

In any case, the 17" is much less evenly illuminated so beware!

gudrummer
Jun 21, 2007, 10:49 AM

Mine is kinda the same as my PB G4,bottom area has a bit of leaking,but nothing that really bothers me.Rest of the screen is quite good,actually.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 12:34 PM

I picked up my new MBP yesterday and I am happy with the screen.

It doesn't have the white spots that my old AL had when I first purchased it! The LCD screen is very bright and crisp.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by pete View Post
As a person who was very very critical of the former MBP displays, I feel quite satisfied with the current LED-lit ones. They're generally very even. I think the extreme brightness makes any unevenness more visible and that's why PC laptops often look more even: they're generally much less bright (under 200cd/m2 vs 300cd/m2 to 400cd/m2 on the last two revisions of the MBPs ).
Please cite some sources.
Apple says all the MBPs are 300cd/m2, and there are many Dells above 200.

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 05:25 AM

Actually, most notebooks are below or around 200 - notebookcheck.net measures all LCDs in nine sections and then does an average. On macrumors, a guy measured the latest MBP brightness using the same methodology and a meter and found that, at its brightest it was around 450 cd/m2. I'll find the link and post later.

A few examples of notebook display brightness:

Dell Latitude D620 : Maximum:
142.7 cd/m²
Average:
124.9 cd/m²
Black:
0.6 cd/m²
Contrast:
238:1

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi 1554 Gamer's Notebook:
Maximum:
162.0 cd/m²
Average:
129.4 cd/m²
Black:
145.8 cd/m²
Contrast:
1:1

Sony Vaio VGN-TX5XN Notebook:
Maximum:
215.8 cd/m²
Average:
196.3 cd/m²
Black:
0.6 cd/m²
Contrast:
360:1
( Last edited by pete; Jun 23, 2007 at 06:22 AM. )

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 05:55 PM

I think the unevenness might be universal, but my computer has other issues that I'm wondering about:

- As I mentioned above, the sound produced by my MBP when I plug in my headphones is not pleasant, with a loud fuzziness in the background and constant R2D2-like beeps and moans...

- When I put my hand near the P key (while typing normally), the lighting sensors turn on my keyboard's backlight and/or adjust the lighting of the display. I've had to turn off the automatic adjustment features because I can't have my screen constantly getting dimmer as I type and then brighter again when I move my hand...

- It really doesn't feel that fast. I doubt this is an actual issue, though...

Does anyone share these issues?

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2007, 05:58 PM

you guys are making me so sad. I want a MBP but am thus far too disheartened by all the issues...screen flicker, uneven lighting, random shut down (OMG i remember when i went throug this with my MB)...*sigh*

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2007, 06:19 PM

Just because you never hear about the good ones... mine is doing fine (15" 2.4). I'm just glad the screen no longer has the grainy effect of the previous models. I haven't been bothered by any unevenness, although I've spent the last four years with a PB with white spots, so my eyes have become pretty tolerant. But I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Doesn't run too hot, doesn't shut down spontaneously. My Superdrive seems slow, but that might just be the way it is.

My ambient light sensor is a little more overly-ambitious than I am used to. I turn off the screen dimming by default because I like to set the brightness myself, but I noticed right away that my keyboard lights would come on any time my hand wandered too far to the right. Not a huge issue for me, though.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Like a new parent, I don't care what it's like as long as it's healthy.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by pete View Post
Actually, most notebooks are below or around 200 - notebookcheck.net measures all LCDs in nine sections and then does an average. On macrumors, a guy measured the latest MBP brightness using the same methodology and a meter and found that, at its brightest it was around 450 cd/m2. I'll find the link and post later.

A few examples of notebook display brightness:
Sorry, I don't buy those results.
A contrast ratio of 1:1? Was the MBP tested in a room of the same brightness as all those other laptops? Were the other laptops even tested in a room of the same brightness?

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 23, 2007, 07:36 PM

Ill say it again: My MBP is working flawlessly. I am very happy with my purchase.

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Sorry, I don't buy those results.
A contrast ratio of 1:1? Was the MBP tested in a room of the same brightness as all those other laptops? Were the other laptops even tested in a room of the same brightness?
I think you're right about the measurement of the MBP - another guy just measured and got around 310cd/m2 for the glossy and 290 for the matte at their brightes spot (the middle). that makes more sense than the 400+ mentioned earlier - maybe his meter was malfunctioning.

However, notebookcheck.net seems to be very methodical with their measurements so I would trust their findings on the other laptops above unless there's a typo. Go check them out...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by tavilach View Post
I think the unevenness might be universal
Incorrect assumption based purely on conjecture

My new MBP has no such uneven lighting. As I mentioned in the other thread, you should take it in for repair

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 11:20 PM

MacosNerd, every 15" notebook I saw at the Apple Store had this unevenness...

I don't want mine replaced unless there is a good chance it will be better than what I have, because I am risking it being far worse...

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 11:35 PM

I compared the 2.4 macbook pro with a 23 inch Cinema Display and there wasn't uneven lighting, only a slight difference in the tint of the color. The MacBook Pro was more yellowish.

Forum Links
Forum Rules