Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 4

Battlefield 4 (Page 2)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2013, 04:24 PM

You bitches down for some Beta action tonight?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2013, 04:49 PM

Depends if anyone is on GTA

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 10:08 AM

Apparently they added Obliteration to the playlists yesterday. sek, wanna give it a try this weekend?

No time limit, just like Halo.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 11:53 AM

So today I learned that you can refill only bullets out of the "small" ammo packs and the small ammo packs adds exactly 1 magazine.

If you want to refill grenades, RPG etc, you need the "big" ammo pack.
ehhhhhhhhh

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2013, 02:22 PM

Yeah I'm down, hows about tonight around 9:30?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yeah I'm down, hows about tonight around 9:30?
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Depends if anyone is on GTA

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2013, 11:27 PM

360 version Hard Drive requirements

The first time you start your game, regardless of which disc you use, you will be asked to perform a required installation of 2 GB worth of game content to your hard drive.

In addition to the required installation, each disc has additional content you can install to your hard drive for better performance.
• The Multiplayer Disc, or Disc 1, has an additional 6.6 GB of content
• The Single Player Disc, or Disc 2, has 5.8 GB of installation content.
So a minimum of 2 GB and a maximum of 14.4 GB.

I wonder how long 14.4 GB takes to install.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2013, 05:38 PM

Are you guys going to be on tomorrow? How long do you think it will take to install this bastard?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Are you guys going to be on tomorrow? How long do you think it will take to install this bastard?
Didn't you say you weren't buying EA products?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2013, 11:48 AM

You're right, I did. Thanks for the reminder, you just saved me $60.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2013, 11:55 AM

Here to help. It'll go a decent ways towards the next system you buy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2013, 01:17 PM

My copy should be waiting in the mail for me, I'll be on.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2013, 01:24 PM

Lemme know about the controls. I think I read they patched in the triggers for vehicles but I'm not 100% confident.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2013, 01:26 PM

Correction, the package is at my parents house and I won't be heading out there until tomorrow, so I won't be on tonight.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2013, 04:09 PM

So wait, with you getting the PS4 soon does this mean you are not buying BF4 for Xbox?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2013, 04:19 PM

So wait, with you getting the PS4 soon does this mean you are not buying BF4 for Xbox?
Yeah, I mentioned that I was thinking about it one of the last nights of the beta. Between the vehicle controls, my general suckiness, and you being the only person interested, waiting didn't seem that hard to do.

Edit: I also mentioned it was a bad deal in News thread.

Edit 2: The worst part is if I was doing 360 > One or PS3 > 4 I could get an upgrade for only $10.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2013, 04:58 PM

Have I realized that I probably wouldn't have bought it honestly, multi games are no fun by yourself... oh well, guess I'll get to play with you sometime next year.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2013, 06:58 PM

We will always have BF3.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2013, 06:59 PM

Also, there's that Borderlands 2 DLC we never finished.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2013, 07:51 PM

Have I realized that I probably wouldn't have bought it honestly, multi games are no fun by yourself... oh well, guess I'll get to play with you sometime next year.
I was wondering why you were going full steam ahead on purchasing it.

Since I imagine its still shrink-wrapped, any chance you can find a buyer for it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2013, 10:05 AM

Hearing BF3 controls aren't patched in yet, as well as losing all your rounds in reload hasn't been addressed either.

Like I said, I'm content to wait. Chances are this stuff still won't be fixed when I get my PS4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 02:01 PM

So, what'd you do with the copy of BF4, sek?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2013, 02:37 PM

Funny you ask, my buddy MrPownley is buying it so I decided to keep it around, just picked it up at my parent's house today and I'm about to install it now.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 02:40 PM

Funny you ask, my buddy MrPownley is buying it so I decided to keep it around, just picked it up at my parent's house today and I'm about to install it now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2013, 03:44 PM

First gripe, which disc is which? They aren't labeled at all and I have no intention of installing the campaign ever. Trial and error was the only way.

Which disc would you assume is the multiplayer disc?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 03:53 PM

I recall reading disc 2 is SP.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2013, 05:18 PM

Which is the first time I can recall the campaign being on the second disc.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 05:20 PM

Which is the first time I can recall the campaign being on the second disc.
DICE knows whats up

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2013, 06:18 PM

Veteran vehicle controls bring back L and R as forward and reverse, yay!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 04:57 PM

Had several dominant matches including two Ace Squads and one MVP, along with plenty of wins at the top of the leader-boards. Just getting my feet under me with conquest at the moment.

Maps are pretty varied, haven't paid much attention the devolution stuff really, and been playing almost primarily as Engineer class. I figure playing with a lone-wolf attitude is best suited to engineer class since it's the most well-rounded as far as abilities. First two kills on my first game were knifes to the back, which I found odd.

I also happened to notice the Dakar crew playing Ghosts ( at least subie and todd) i guess they are still not sick of CoD eh?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2013, 05:04 PM

I also happened to notice the Dakar crew playing Ghosts ( at least subie and todd) i guess they are still not sick of CoD eh?
I know. The only thing funnier is they asked me again this year if I was buying CoD. I said I wasn't looking back since I jumped ship from MW3 two years ago.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 06:07 PM

Just went 31-14 with 13k+ points and a squad wipe in a crushing loss thanks to teammates with sniper rifles camping parts of the map no-one cares about.

Edit: I can see the appeal of CoD. Quick matches and instant gratification are a plus if you are a family man or otherwise unable to play enough to get really good. However the idea of playing CoD now, after so many years and hours on the previous games, just seems....boring. I mean don't get me wrong, if I had Ghosts and I was playing with the old crew it would be a blast, but how many times can one get shot in the back or flanked in .2 seconds before they have an aneurysm?
( Last edited by sek929; Nov 6, 2013 at 06:26 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2013, 11:09 AM

Just went 31-14 with 13k+ points and a squad wipe in a crushing loss thanks to teammates with sniper rifles camping parts of the map no-one cares about.
I suppose it was like this in BF3, but the complaints I'm hearing is everyone is being engineers and sniper more than ever, and I have to think it's because the Medic revive got nerfed, the medic heal got nerfed, the Support ammo got nerfed, and the support doesn't unlock C4 until last. Though to be honest I haven't actually read anyone complaining about most of those specific nerfs.

Edit: I can see the appeal of CoD. Quick matches and instant gratification are a plus if you are a family man or otherwise unable to play enough to get really good. However the idea of playing CoD now, after so many years and hours on the previous games, just seems....boring. I mean don't get me wrong, if I had Ghosts and I was playing with the old crew it would be a blast, but how many times can one get shot in the back or flanked in .2 seconds before they have an aneurysm?
Man, you be hatin' on CoD harder than me. The fall-off is measurable, however – before when a CoD came out you'd see all of us on, every night of the first week and promptly. Last night I don't think anyone other than subie was on.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2013, 02:44 PM

I suppose it was like this in BF3, but the complaints I'm hearing is everyone is being engineers and sniper more than ever, and I have to think it's because the Medic revive got nerfed, the medic heal got nerfed, the Support ammo got nerfed, and the support doesn't unlock C4 until last. Though to be honest I haven't actually read anyone complaining about most of those specific nerfs.
Assault as it pertains to medic certainly has gotten balanced, but the ARs are head and shoulders above the carbines this time around. I see alot of Support too. The most prevalent class has certainly been Recon, much to my chagrin. I would wager a bet almost all my losses would have been wins with just one competent teammate.....cough cough

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2013, 02:48 PM

They replaced the carbines on Engineers with PDWs. To balance them.

You think the medic is balanced?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2013, 04:04 PM

They replaced the carbines on Engineers with PDWs. To balance them.
I nearly immediately unlocked several carbines that I use on Engineer, but yes, you do start with a PDW.

You think the medic is balanced?
I've been playing for one day, it's going to take a while to comment on anything being balanced. I merely stated that they "balanced" the class, at least in their own minds, not that I felt it was done correctly. When I ran as Assault in BF3 I think the class was unbalanced as all hell. When I got going on a map like Metro I was nearly unstoppable on my own, nevermind me bringing everyone else back to life every few seconds.

A couple things I have noticed in my short time. The smaller/faster vehicles handle like shit, and by that I mean are waaaay too over-responsive and are extremely twitchy, slippery, and grippy at all the wrong times. Larger vehicles and boats seem just dandy. I have also been very successful with the anti-tank mines as of late. Not sure if they are more effective/harder to spot or if people are just dumbasses.

Something else I miss having a good teammate for, knowing when a certain objective is out of reach and switching to attack a more undefended one. One a three-flag map we had A and C the whole time whilst the other team camped B. Finally my team captures B as well, and then proceeds to camp that while the enemy team rallies and caps A and C. We ended up losing by 20 tickets or something in the last 50 tickets with me frantically rushing to either end of the map to capture A and C. I was MVP in the lobby, naturally.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2013, 04:58 PM

I nearly immediately unlocked several carbines that I use on Engineer, but yes, you do start with a PDW.
Well that's weird. Who would want to use PDWs instead?

Something else I miss having a good teammate for, knowing when a certain objective is out of reach and switching to attack a more undefended one. One a three-flag map we had A and C the whole time whilst the other team camped B. Finally my team captures B as well, and then proceeds to camp that while the enemy team rallies and caps A and C. We ended up losing by 20 tickets or something in the last 50 tickets with me frantically rushing to either end of the map to capture A and C. I was MVP in the lobby, naturally.
I'll send your GF a message next time she's watching Hulu, tell her to get you a PS4 for xmas.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2013, 05:20 PM

Downloaded this on origins... played like shit (reminded me of CoD:Blops). Frame rate was ok most of the time, but the network lag was unbearable. Unload an entire clip into an enemy only to have them stab you is gut wrenching. I played for less than 3 hours before I decided I'd feel better smashing my nuts with a hammer. This was the first BF game I've ever played, it's also the first video game I've ever returned.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2013, 01:26 PM

I've been consistently dominating in nearly every lobby I'm in, whether win or loss I'm always in the top 3. MVP in back to back games with 1k+ score per minute and squad wipes last night. I ruthlessly attack the weakest point and it takes nearly a whole squad to oust me from one I'm currently defending. If my squad catches on and starts spawning on me then we will all but be guaranteed the win and Ace Squad. I've never played so balls-to-the-wall before but it's paying dividends, and I can't be arsed to rely on anyone picking up the slack so I'm Mr. Slack himself.

Now some random thoughts...

Started using the Assault Class on a couple maps and wow, those ARs (I'm using the SCAR now) are very powerful. For close range hip-fire I'm still liking the Carbines, but anything medium range and up the ARs dominate, and I mean dominate.

Support Class is rare to see on any size map, if I run out of ammo it's a %99.9 chance I'll have to wait for redeploy for more bullets. I guess I see why, as I don't ever play as Support and when I do I miss my Engineer gadgets.

Just unlocked the SRAW launcher, basically a laser guided projectile, and now Helicopters fear me, as well as any vehicle unable to locate me for a few seconds. Also very handy at making cover evaporate in front of the enemy's eyes.

Paracel Storm is the coolest map I've ever played. Once the wind whips up, it starts pouring rain, thundering, and the ocean swells it makes for some interesting combat and travel.

Flood Zone is one of my least favorite maps. Before the levolution happens (dam breaks) the map is playable, but once everything is flooded it becomes an absolute nightmare to traverse as infantry. I guess the way to play would be get in the lead and have a couple vehicles up and running, then blow the dam to hinder the enemy efforts, still, an annoying map to play at times.

Sound design is amazing, and hey what's this...footsteps that alert you of an incoming enemy? Wizardry! Not OP in the least since half the time in-game you can't hear anything but explosions and other assorted malarky.

Can't quite qualify this statement, but this game is much more epic than BF3. Every building crumbles around you, every area explodes into bits and chunks as you take fire. Every area of the maps (usually) have a purpose, nothing feels out of the way or useless. Vehicles handle like crap though, especially the jet-ski, that thing is impossible to drive at full speed. So yeah, so far I'm really liking the game. Matches have been lag-free, games have been intense, and of course I've been playing very well so that all culminates in the most fun I've had playing solo MP in a long time.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2013, 03:24 PM

Sek, you playing on the 360?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2013, 03:33 PM

I certainly am, my computer is only good at playing PC games from around 2008 max.

P
Nov 9, 2013, 06:57 PM

I certainly am, my computer is only good at playing PC games from around 2008 max.
If that is a regular PC that can be upgraded with a newer GPU, now is the time. The last few weeks have seen more launches and price drops than ever before (literally), and there are still cards of the outgoing models on the market at lower prices.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2013, 07:26 PM

I have an iMac from 07, it ain't gettin any better.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2013, 12:58 PM

I've been consistently dominating in nearly every lobby I'm in, whether win or loss I'm always in the top 3. MVP in back to back games with 1k+ score per minute and squad wipes last night. I ruthlessly attack the weakest point and it takes nearly a whole squad to oust me from one I'm currently defending. If my squad catches on and starts spawning on me then we will all but be guaranteed the win and Ace Squad. I've never played so balls-to-the-wall before but it's paying dividends, and I can't be arsed to rely on anyone picking up the slack so I'm Mr. Slack himself.

Now some random thoughts...

Started using the Assault Class on a couple maps and wow, those ARs (I'm using the SCAR now) are very powerful. For close range hip-fire I'm still liking the Carbines, but anything medium range and up the ARs dominate, and I mean dominate.

Support Class is rare to see on any size map, if I run out of ammo it's a %99.9 chance I'll have to wait for redeploy for more bullets. I guess I see why, as I don't ever play as Support and when I do I miss my Engineer gadgets.

Just unlocked the SRAW launcher, basically a laser guided projectile, and now Helicopters fear me, as well as any vehicle unable to locate me for a few seconds. Also very handy at making cover evaporate in front of the enemy's eyes.

Paracel Storm is the coolest map I've ever played. Once the wind whips up, it starts pouring rain, thundering, and the ocean swells it makes for some interesting combat and travel.

Flood Zone is one of my least favorite maps. Before the levolution happens (dam breaks) the map is playable, but once everything is flooded it becomes an absolute nightmare to traverse as infantry. I guess the way to play would be get in the lead and have a couple vehicles up and running, then blow the dam to hinder the enemy efforts, still, an annoying map to play at times.

Sound design is amazing, and hey what's this...footsteps that alert you of an incoming enemy? Wizardry! Not OP in the least since half the time in-game you can't hear anything but explosions and other assorted malarky.

Can't quite qualify this statement, but this game is much more epic than BF3. Every building crumbles around you, every area explodes into bits and chunks as you take fire. Every area of the maps (usually) have a purpose, nothing feels out of the way or useless. Vehicles handle like crap though, especially the jet-ski, that thing is impossible to drive at full speed. So yeah, so far I'm really liking the game. Matches have been lag-free, games have been intense, and of course I've been playing very well so that all culminates in the most fun I've had playing solo MP in a long time.
Interesting that you're doing so well, so quickly. I'd also like to know what are the bad points.

You have really made me want to buy this (for the 360).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2013, 02:05 PM

My run of top 3 ended last night, but luckily it was because of another squad picking up some of the slack. The first two games of last night I did once again manage back-to-back MVPs though.

The new Metro is Operation Locker, and as much as I miss Metro this map is slightly more balanced in the flank department. Had an absolute down-to-the-wire 4 ticket victory where myself and a couple guys cap B (3 flag game) with under 10 tickets remaining on either team and proceed to defend ourselves against an onslaught of biblical proportions. We all ended up dying, but it was enough to erode the teams tickets enough for the W.

@Matty: I can only come up with a small amount of negatives in an otherwise entirely enjoyable experience thus far, but I'll try for you. Why can I still not make a class on the post-game/pre-game screen? In fact, there are only two places to fiddle with your kits, in-game and in the test map (which is actually pretty cool IMO). Like I said the smaller vehicles handle like crap, and are waaay too twitchy. Overall the kit creation interface leaves alot to be desired. The way the menus look gives me a headache, they constantly ripple and blend in and out of focus when selecting and deselecting, makes my HDTV look like garbage and I don't know why a complex UI needs such "stylized" animations. Just give a me a crisp list of white text for godsakes. It's also not very apparent what kind of knife attack you will be able to counter, so I've just gotten in the habit of spamming the counter button no matter what. Spawning in right at the beginning of the map will net you 15-20 seconds of no sound, every time, I figure this will eventually get patched. The spawn screen, while an overall awesome improvement (auto-deploy FTW), can make things difficult if you want to, say, spawn on a quad bike near A, but your squad is on A, so you need to select A with your left thumbstick and then use the right thumbstick to get to the vehicle near A. If your squad is on top of and around A it can be difficult to know exactly what you are selecting to spawn on.

That's about everything off the top of my head, and most of it is menu UI and patchable problems. Once you are in-game and kicking ass there is very little that detracts from the experience.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2013, 02:20 PM

Cheers sek. Might see if there are any cheapo deals going on.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 10:27 AM

sek, any complaints about locks and crashes? I'm reading people consistently complaining about losing progress because the game goes down late into a match. Not sure if its mostly PC, but I'm hearing it still. The complaints seem to be that BF4 is buggier than BF3, not that you can compare since you came in 6 months late.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2013, 03:59 PM

I've had 3 locks, two in the menus and one during a game. From what I've been reading freezes on the PC side are far more prevalent.

Otherwise it's been solid.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2013, 09:54 PM

That was part of why I got a refund, the game kept freezing up and I would never progress. This was on PC. I'm thinking about trying again on PS4.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2013, 04:50 PM

Best game so far, absolutely untouchable on foot and terrorized the map for a few minutes in the tank.

Forum Links
Forum Rules