Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Writing implement of choice? (pencil vs pen)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for writing in your notebook/journal/whatever?
Poll Options:
Pencil 21 votes (41.18%)
Pen 30 votes (58.82%)
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll
Writing implement of choice? (pencil vs pen) (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
writing. looks at time of post.....stupid history paper!

Get as wide as you can get (.7mm if we're talking easily available). Resist the temptation to click the lead out more than the diameter (we'll say 1mm max).

Most pencils come with a lead that's in the middle of the hardness scale (HB, or #2 in a wooden pencil). "H" leads are harder, "B" leads are softer.

Since the middle of the road is not working for you, I'd try a softer lead, like a 2B, this will have more "give" than an HB, but is going to be more smeary (I hope you aren't left handed).

If you can get into the habit, spin the thing a quarter turn after every sentence, which will help the lead from getting too thin in any one direction.

If you can write more than a paragraph without clicking more lead you are extending it too much.

HTH.

P.S. If you are left-handed, I'd go the other way, get a 3F or 4F. This won't really smear, and will hopefully be hard enough to train you to write with a lighter touch, because if you don't it starts shredding the paper.

AngelaBaby
Oct 9, 2007, 11:35 AM

Pen. It shows that you're serious.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 02:14 PM

Pen, because I like to keep my 'errors'.

Most of what I do is sketching lay-outs, interaction scenarios, flowcharts, lists of stuff with random visual elements thrown in. It's nice to keep the evolution of ideas there for later review. Messy as hell, but suits me just fine

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2007, 10:51 AM

I always use mechanical pencils when taking notes and pen when turning something in (which is only once a semester now).
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

loki74
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I like the variations I get from pencil. Shading and line thickness are manageable with pencils.

For writing I prefer a .3mm and for sketching I prefer .7mm leads. HB or F density.

Agreed. those things rule... I've had little luck finding a 0.3, though. I've been trying to get thinner and cleaner lines for my character designs (or for that matter, anything I may end up "CGing"), so 0.3 would be reeeal nice.

For pens, I like the Sakura Micron fine point inking pens. Pretty much the best pens I've ever used, although not so much for writing text with. Then again, if I'm only writing text I generally don't care about the writing implement....

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2007, 07:50 PM

fountain pen. usually a sheaffer, although I do own a couple of lamys and a pelikan

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules