Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 8.6 - NG

OS 8.6 - NG
Wayne Schlegel
May 19, 1999, 09:00 AM

Not too happy. OS 8.5 was such a peach to install. Days later after installing 8.6 it's still locking up and not even starting up at times. I advise against 8.6. I am an experienced user and I am having more glitches than I have seen in a long time with this OS version!

------------------

Wayne Schlegel
May 20, 1999, 12:22 PM

5/20 UPDATE....
Had to do a CLEAN install of 8.5 from the CD then an 8.5.1 update. All is back to normal. Expect when you talk to Apple. Decided to order the 8.6 CD and a 2-4 week wait. WHY do they make it so difficult. Will do a clean install to 8.6 from that CD when I receive it. FYI - Apple WWW site I visited yesterday for bug reports, etc. on 8.6 NEWER and BETTER info. exists right here! Also easier to find thing!! BEST OF LUCK ALL!

------------------

Mater_Tenebrarum
May 20, 1999, 01:50 PM

I did the worst possible 8.6 install. I have outdated HD drivers from FWB, I have lots of control panels & extensions, and I didn't clean install 8.5 prior to updating and I have had no problems with 8.6. Everything worked the first time.

Riddler
Forum Regular
May 20, 1999, 02:17 PM

Me too, I just updated 8.5.1 and it's fine. I'd suggest leaving VM off, it seems to be the cause of a few crashes.

I'm happy ;-)
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

porterh
May 20, 1999, 07:50 PM

Wayne, I share your frustration with the release process. If AOL can stuff my mailbox three times a week with a CD, why can't Apple do it once a year for its existing user base?

I didn't, however, have a similar installation experience. Upgrading actually cleared up some really annoying problems. The only minor glitch was that after upgrade, the modem setting was pointed at my Keyspan PDA adapter instead of the internal 56k.

goldengoose
May 20, 1999, 08:27 PM

Is it possible for a computer to grow accustomed to a new OS ?

MY 6500 225 was giving me all kinds of problems, mainly related to IE 4.5. I did the clean install thing after that and things seemed to improve but I was still having problems. then one day...A few days ago, I noticed that the machine was not crashing anymore ? Now it seems to be running just as nicely as it did on system 8.1. Never used 8.5.1...I upgraded to that on my way to 8.6 but made the complete jump through it.

Perhaps my MAC just had to get used to talking to a Smoother Operator ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules