Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 8.6 WIN NT DHCP

OS 8.6 WIN NT DHCP
Dupree
May 11, 1999, 11:56 AM

I still cannot get the Macs in our office to use the DHCP. So far, we've allocated static addresses for the Macs. However, I thought 8.6 was going to address some of the issues surrounding DHCP servers! With OS8.6 installed my machine still claims it can't find the route address (which doesn't exist) in the subnet. This makes sense to me since the router has an entirely different address! Ah!

nightjar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 1999, 02:43 AM

I'm having the same problem. Using MacIP as a work around for a dynamic IP address assignment. DHCP was still working for me with a late beta of 8.6

Brian Marsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 1999, 03:44 PM

the DHCP problem fixed (there might have been more, but I have only read about one fix to it)

was, in 8.5 (& 8.5.1) it would send a DHCP RELEASE when the machine was shutdown/restarted, then when it started up again, it would assume it still had the same IP address from DHCP, and just ask for it again, of course, it was released, so this would cause errors (and a long delay in start-up)

in 8.6 it now does not release (there is still an option to force it to release)

problems with DHCP servers on seperate subnets is a completely different problem, and I'm pretty sure MacOS isn't the only system that would have a problem with that =)

Forum Links
Forum Rules